Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A good game in space?  (Read 3747 times)

GT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A good game in space?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:38 am »

Darkstar One, forgot about that. It has its flaws but it's pretty solid.
That's a cigar in my avatar, not an illegal substance. Although by the way we dirty smokers are treated, might as well be illegal...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »

I've actually had a lot of fun with Flash Trek: Broken Mirror 2, which is basically a free-roam, top-down space game based in the AU Trekverse from TOS with EVIL KIRK. You can buy and sell cargo, choose from a good number of ships and weapon/equipment fits, fight various factions, build up your money and power, and if you wish, start controlling star systems, purchasing space stations with various roles (shipyards, defense satellites, starbases, residential stations, etc), buying ships for your defense fleet. There are also a number of easter eggs, including a hidden system with the Dyson Sphere. With sufficient cheating, you can even build your own DSes. If you're a trekkie, this game is awesome, but even if you aren't, it has solid gameplay and nice art.

Also, browser based.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 08:33:23 pm »

I've actually had a lot of fun with Flash Trek: Broken Mirror 2, which is basically a free-roam, top-down space game based in the AU Trekverse from TOS with EVIL KIRK. You can buy and sell cargo, choose from a good number of ships and weapon/equipment fits, fight various factions, build up your money and power, and if you wish, start controlling star systems, purchasing space stations with various roles (shipyards, defense satellites, starbases, residential stations, etc), buying ships for your defense fleet. There are also a number of easter eggs, including a hidden system with the Dyson Sphere. With sufficient cheating, you can even build your own DSes. If you're a trekkie, this game is awesome, but even if you aren't, it has solid gameplay and nice art.

Also, browser based.
I can vouch for this - been playing it since the first (though i haven't played in exes of 3 years). I actually found the 4th one but it doesn't seem like it has that much added to it. Good game none the less.
The Dread Pirate

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »

Also, browser based.
I can vouch for this - been playing it since the first (though i haven't played in exes of 3 years). I actually found the 4th one but it doesn't seem like it has that much added to it. Good game none the less.

Yeah, I'd actually forgotten about it until this thread brought it to the surface. I might have to go play it for a few days now.  :-X

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 01:25:01 am »

I'm amazed no one has mentioned  Blockade Runner in here yet.  Its still very much in developement, but just being able to play around with it is cool.  If you want the resource gathering of Minecraft or the X-Universe games, but with the construction/design capabilities of a full shipyard, check it out here: http://www.zanmgt.com/projects/blockaderunner.aspx

"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 02:36:56 am »

Oolite!

Based heavilly on Elite, but open source. Allows you to pilot only one ship, but also to exchange that ship for another available at shipyards in spacestations.

Gameplay focusses mainly on trading and arcade-style space combat.

uncountable expansion packs created by fans expand upon the classic ship list, missions, ambiance, weapons, etc.
It is not difficult to learn how to create OXPs of your own (I learned while not being able to play),
so only your imagination is the limit on customisation. (Though some things are still hardcoded)

====

SpaceWolves (2) is also a fun little game allowing customisation of a small fleet of ships and a carrier base-ship.

==
Imperium Galactica
More like a Master of Orion than a space-flightsim.
===
Wing Commander games
If you can get them to run in DOS-box are fun adventure-arcade spacesims.
==
miner wars
In development, also tries to have a destructable environment.
not very realistic space flight: more sub-like.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:04:29 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 09:29:37 am »

Poysky Productions
Pages: 1 2 [3]