Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I have a small population of Tigermen...now what?  (Read 1592 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I have a small population of Tigermen...now what?
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »

So I was really jazzed when I saw that the very first elven caravan to arrive at my fort had a caged tigerman. I promptly seized the tigerman cage as well as a feqw other caged animals and some booze before sending the pointy-eared merchants away empty-handed. A few years later, I was similarly jazzed when they brought me another caged tigerman (a tigerWOMAN this time), so once again, I seized the cage as well as some other crap. So I think that they brought me even more caged Tigermen eventually, but now, a decade or so later, I've got a fort with a small population of breeding tigermen. And boy to they breed. I estimate I've probably got 20 to 30 tigerpeople hanging out in my fort right now. Food's not a huge issue, since I've got a decent butchery industry going, and we've got plenty of running water for the furry fellows, but I guess now that the novelty of meeting areas filled with ThunderCats is over, I'm left scratching my head and trying to decide what to do next. Butcher the children and feed them to the remaining Tigermen? Somehow create a military force of Tigermen? Put them to work in some fashion? What do Tigermen actually do?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: So I have a small population of Tigermen...now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:43:53 pm »

It doesn't seem that they will server in your military :\

I checked the wiki about that. It would be epic if they could work for you and be functioning members of the fortress.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:48:44 pm »

Build up their social skills, get one of them elected mayor, and then appoint one of them the baron. TIGERMEN SHALL BE THE MASTER RACE.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »

Is it possible to butcher them? Cuz it'd be so fucked up dwarfy to make them cannibal tiger men.  :P

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:53:43 pm »

Pit them in a danger room, train them up, and use them as an auxilary military! I know you can't assign them into squads, but you can pasture them I'm guessing aye? >:D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »

Didn't the DFusion tool's "friendship" allow other races to work for you?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:35 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress, if you can't beat 'em, weaponise 'em. Shove them in a pit and don't feed them anything. Capture goblins, kobolds and any other bastards there are lurking around outside with cage traps then release them on the tiger hoards.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 02:29:47 pm »

You could edit their raw to include [TRAINABLE] and make War Tigermen.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 02:37:09 pm »

Build up their social skills, get one of them elected mayor, and then appoint one of them the baron. TIGERMEN SHALL BE THE MASTER RACE.

Can Tigermen be assigned rooms and offices? ...'cuz I already dug out and decorated the nobles' chambers. I don't care for mandates and stuff, so Tigerman Nobles sounds cool, but I do like giving my nobles rooms.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »

I had a tiger men fort, even the baron was a tigerwoman, died to a f.b.  I just liked knowing it was an experiment in multiculturalism.  And necrosis dust.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:50 am »

Update:

So My tigerman population hit a sort of critical mass and the meat stocks were dangerously low. Rather than risk ALL of the Tigermen starving, I decided to mark all of the children for butchery, as I knew it was possible. So I marked all 20-30 tigerman cubs for butchery and waited to see what would happen.

Apparently, Tigerman parts, as a result of tigermen being sentient, can only go to a "corpses" stockpile. So far, I haven't seen any tigermen eating their children's butchered corpses, but we'll see what happens.

Edit: In addition to butchering all of the Tigerman Children, I also butchered a bunch of TigerWomen so that there would be reduced breeding capacity for a while. I realized for the first time that the first TEN tigerman cubs to be born were all female, so as soon as the came of age, there was pretty much a population explosion once they all birthed litter upon litter of tigerman cubs.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:17:21 am by The Dog Delusion »

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »

Yeah, so a few discoveries:

1) Tigermen won't eat Tigerman meat, no matter what stockpile it's in. They won't get upset if you offer it to them, however. Unless there's no other meat, in which case they'll quietly starve.

2) Tigermen CAN be butchered, though their body parts are in no way useable; they can only be stored in a corpse stockpile. They don't seem to mind having their children, families, and friends taken to the chopping block.

3) If allowed to breed unchecked, you will end up with a Tigermansplosion, as I did. They give birth to litters of 1 to 4 (or 5?) cubs at a time, so multiple breedable females can quickly overrun your fort. Tigerman don't care.

4) You can put Tigermen in a cage or a pasture, but that means that water and meat will either need to be brought to them, or available within the pasture area. And Tigerman meat doesn't count.

5) Tigermen love to talk, but as far as I can tell, they only talk to their own kind. Racist bastards.

6) I have no idea whether Tigermen make a decent fighting force, though according to the testing arena, they do pretty well against naked, untrained goblins. The kind you never meet in the wilderness.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:53 am »

if you get a tigerman elected mayor (or make one baron/ess) just make sure their pasture is the mayor's/baron's office. and, maybe give them noeat and nodrink. that's what i did for my gremlin mayor. the only annoying thing is, if they're the one your liasons will talk to, said liason will just walk into the office, stare at them for about half a year, then give up and leave, frustrated. again, found that out with my gremlin mayor, who actually was my first elected mayor in that fort...

once they go to talk to your baron, though, a tigerman/gremlin/whatever mayor is great 'cause they don't have likes/dislikes, so no mandates, no random punishment for not making slade items or selling those amulets about 2 steps before the merchants leave the map

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:11 am »

You can make a pseudo-military by putting them into a danger room and pasteuring them to the battlefield, but since they don't have the awesome cusioning power of spider silk to protect them, the danger room may be bad for them.
You could butcher them if you enabled sentient eating for dwaves.
You could add tigermen to the Civ_Mountain entry in the entities folder, and edit around the tigermen raws so they can do stuff, but you'd need to re-gen a world for that. Plus, Cave Swallow Men make for sense for that.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 01:01:39 pm »

yeah, they'd butcher them...but not eat them, if they were their pets. sadly. done that already with tigermen, foul blendecs, gremlins, gorlaks, several other animal men, satyrs, and pretty much anything else that gets a name if it enters your screen tamed (either through a caravan or birth). the dwarves will happily cut them apart, then stack all the parts in the corpse stockpile and not touch them for food or bonecarving or even tanning. they're tame pets of the civ, and intelligent, so to the dwarves, they count as members of the civ, not just animals/food.  the can speak tag does it, apparently not can learn, since they have no trouble butchering and eating pet trolls.

...and, yeah, i kinda tame everything