Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12581 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:51 am »

Did you ever open the entrance I spent 4 months carving with unskilled miners?

It should take care of all ambushes and moderate sieges with no risk to dwarf lives.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:22:09 am by Varnifane »
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2011, 02:50:08 pm »

Damnit Cousen! This is the kind of thing you leave careful notes about! And it seems like the baby was also looking for her... *ominous shudder* I'll get one of the slabs carved into a memorial slab for it, but someone else gets to worry about finding the right one to construct. There's no way to bury the body, though, as it's mysteriously vanished...  :-\ It also makes it reeeeally creepy how she mandated 3 drums be made, as well.

Not yet, Varn. I had to take care of getting the fortress back up, sorting out migrants, and digging out the massive collapse to fetch corpses for burial. And work on getting a burial/memorial hall set up... Lots of empty coffins are now available for the next doom.
Something to take care of in winter, I suppose. ... of course, I'll still include a drawbridge at the end of the section, simply so the fortress can be sealed up tight if something does get through.
Edit: I see you have bridges placed, but don't see the levers you leashed them to. Where are the levers?

Getting to work on Winter now.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2011, 03:51:02 pm »

They are called out in the fifth picture in this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=90571.120

It's easy to miss, so I bolded and redified the associated text. Also, be aware that the inner bridge retracts so marksdwarves, if we ever have any, can practice their art.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2011, 05:30:31 pm »

I just finished. That's a note you'll want the next overseer to get, though. I'll post the save soon enough.

From the Journal of "Z" Fortress Reclaimer Overseer Doomseer
1st of Moonstone: I... in my sleep, I dreamed. Dark and foreboding things visited me. I'm sure these are just figments, and will cast my forebodings away.
I've designated the well I had dug as a watersource, and the channeled area as a fishing place, though I'm not sure if there are fish in the water, as much of the water in the underground lake is tainted with some sort of Forgotten Beast spew. I've also ordered our only fisherdwarf to begin fishing once more, in his spare time.

22nd of Moonstone: The nightmares have yet to end. I begin to dread sleep, but must, lest I collapse from overwork.
I've begun mass construction of lead bins, as we have far, far too many loose items which could be stored in bins, and we have quite a few spare bars of lead, as well. This should lessen the storage space issue, and leave us with more space to store other items.

3rd of Opal: The darkness... it comes. A great doom will befall us all...
Cilob Oslankogan, the ghostly baby, has grown to be come a Ghostly Dwarven Child.
I fear some eldritch force has been allowing the phantasm's growth, but can put no name to it.

23rd of Opal: My dreams continue to worsen, and I find myself forgoing sleep when I can. An unnamed fear has taken hold, and I can do nothing but worry and wait. Spring will come.
Winter seems to crawl by... Nothing interesting has happened, and I've ordered an expanded area of mining, searching for ever more metal.

27th of Opal: 1 month... 1 month until I quit this place forever. It is a race... Will I escape, or will the darkness claim my mind first? Or will the foul presence make it's presence known and bring with it the doom I feel lurking, even now? I know not. I am not a religious dwarf, and Armok has not demanded much of me until now. I worry I am not strong enough... Armok help all.

4th of Obsidian: More and more I find my thoughts drawn to my ill fated companions. Those of us torn apart by the creatures of the night, especially. Their screams of agony sound all the more vivid in my mind here, in this accursed pit in the ice and stone. I envy my last companion, who died in the cold, numb and asleep, as I fear my fate will be as tortured as the others were.

8th of Obsidian: Today I saw something... my nightmares made real. The others claimed they saw nothing, but I am not so sure. Whether it was merely a fear-filled delusion brought by sleeplessness, or a sign of something more I cannot say. I find I'm no longer capable of trusting my companions, Armok damn them, and me as well.

10th of Obsidian: A Forgotten Beast has arrived... another one. This... is not the doom I fear, but signals yet another strengthening of the evil here. I must be gone soon... I must escape... I must...

12th of Obsidian: Yet another Forgotten Beast. This... My sanity is shaken further... I see visions all the time now and sleep little, and I cannot stand it. So much darkness, but I cannot sleep. If I rest, I will be lost.

13th of Obsidian: Udil Ardestekkud has been withdrawn from society. The madness has him in it's grasp, I fear. This place... the fell power has grown overwhelming in these past few months. I have less then a month, yet it will be the longest time I spend alive... If I survive or not.

14th of Obsidian: The beasts grow more vicious still. One of our number was bitten by a cave spider... I am sure there were none able to reach us before. I would investigate this, but I find myself unwilling, clutched by fear as I am.

16th of Obsidian: Udil Arestekkud gathered many loose items while I was ... distracted by the bite, and has begun a mysterious construction. Despite my tenuous grasp on sanity, and overwhelming dread, I find myself curious. A sure sign, I feel, that I cannot last much longer.

19th of Obsidian: I have begun to develop mysterious wounds, inflicted by no known source. I would suspect stigmata, excepting the fell evil that I feel all about now. As if in synchronization with this, a Forgotten Beast appeared at the edge of our fortress walls... Three this month. As if it is signalling the approach of the end. I cannot wait much longer... I fear I will be found dead by spring.

20th of Obsidian: Udil completed his creation, Tenshedarzes Testkig Ingiz, a tower-cap bow.
It is adorned with hanging rings of tower-cap and menaces with spikes of tower-cap.
I feel the madness has not left him though, as I see an odd gleam in his eyes every time I am forced to look at him now. I have begun planning to escape a couple days before the arrival of spring...

24th of Obsidian: I have not slept in days... the darkness surrounds me...

25th of Obsidian: I can wait no more. I flee tonight, and leave this damned place. Let the denizens of the deep have their prize, or let those I leave behind survive for many years, I care not. I have done my best, and the fortress is thriving once more. Noone will question it if I leave early... I only hope I survive long enough to reach safety.

28th of Obsidian:
Spring has come, and I have left that place behind me... This will be the last journal entry I record, as I fear the darkness followed me, rather then staying within the fortress I so hastily fled. I hear it close behind me now... Soon, all too soon, I fear, I will go to greet Armok. I do not, however, fear I will go alone. This ends the Journal of "Z", fortress reclaimer and Overseer.
My only regret is that I di*The rest of the journal is stained with dried blood, ice, and a foul black ichor, rendering any further notes illegible and meaningless*

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »

Dumat lays awake in her royally appointed bedroom tapping her silver war hammer on the engraved marble floor next to her bed to fill the silence.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2011, 06:08:21 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4956
That -should- work.
I was surprised by how many FB's showed up at the end in the final months.
There are around 50 dwarfs and 2 ghosts haunting the place and innumerable levers, many of which have no indication of what they do.  And the stocks are all looking pretty good. Time for someone to start thinking about strange devices, maybe?

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2011, 01:26:56 am »

dffd is down :(  How many forgotten beasts is there now and can they be Caged?

Damnit Cousen! This is the kind of thing you leave careful notes about! And it seems like the baby was also looking for her... *ominous shudder* I'll get one of the slabs carved into a memorial slab for it, but someone else gets to worry about finding the right one to construct. There's no way to bury the body, though, as it's mysteriously vanished...  :-\ It also makes it reeeeally creepy how she mandated 3 drums be made, as well.

Lol, you only catching on now? I did document it, with screenshots...?

She sees Libash again, holding her baby, tears running down her cheeks when suddenly she looses a roaring laughter....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
....walking into the butchers shop she hacks apart the child and builds “The Hawk of Caner, a dwarf bone drum”.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:46 am »

Alright, gonna get the file and start my next turn now!

EDIT: Scratch that, just saw the DFFD is down.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:56:38 am by Enigma »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2011, 07:16:41 am »

I blame Markus Persson! Whenever he so much as MENTIONS a website, it gets flooded by a hoard of people and shuts down! CURSE YOU NOTCH! CURSE YOU!!!!!!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »

It works for me... hmm. :D Maybe you need to try now?
yes, It works fine now! NOW BURN THE ENTIRE WORLD LIKE A GOOD DWARF!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2011, 05:56:42 am »

Kay I have to eat, but looks like the sites back up. I'll download and get started as soon as I'm back, maybe an update later tonight!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2011, 07:19:08 am »

So, let's see what you gents have done with my fortress... oh god I don't know where anything is...

The main dining hall? I guess?

I need a bit of time to get myself accustomed to this place, all I've done so far is order a memorial slab carved out for our resident ghost. Proper update sometime eventually.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2011, 03:22:34 am »

Most of the workshops are to the right of the dining hall, with several others being one z level up. The main graveyards are also one level up, and I specifically began filling a single large room with coffins.
The magma workshops are several floors down, so it'd be good to follow the stairs and check any opened floors.
The bedrooms are nearly all next to the dining hall, with 1 for the mayor (and space for other nobles) near the bottom of the fort, close to the magma.
There's a well (flooded, unfortunately.) close to the farms. Wish I knew of a way to reduce that.
There is a second entrance that needs to be dug out, as it's loaded with traps and a massive fall. It also needs to have a drawbridge.

In the magma workshop, I have them making bins. Lead bins, I'm pretty sure, to help store the hundreds of loose items scattered around, and left in the stockpiles.
The levers... The ones I could figure out have notes attached (N to view notes), but good luck on some of them.
That sums it all up.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:04 am »

Do we even have a hospital somewhere? Anyhow, I decided not to redorf myself.

The archaeology professor hands you an old journal he found when he was exploring some ancient ruins. Due to your heritage and the unique hobbies of your parents, you can translate the text in it for him easily. It reads;

1st Granite, 266

My family is dead, criminals are left running rampant around the fortress, my dining room is too small, there is NO REASON WHY I SHOULD BE HAPPY! But I am, and that's good enough.

I suppose, when we compare our current condition to our track record, we're doing fine. None of the original seven founders are alive any more, their corpses lost among all the others in the mass grave near our dining hall. It's convenient for when one wishes to mourn, but I truly believe the founders of Cudgelpriests deserve better than that. We have the space, we have the time, and I have the willpower; I'm going to dig out a special memorial for those 7. It wasn't them who brought us to our deaths, but it WAS them that brought us to our fortune. I plan out a 300U3 room to be dug out, 10x10x3, near the exploratory mineshafts. Just ordered the miners to get started on the top layer.

I also have placed a memorial slab for my youngest son, to lay his blessed soul to rest, finally.

That should mean we've managed to bury or memorialize all the dead! I notice an extremely deep mineshaft which seems to go nowhere, so I order further digging to happen there as well. Who knows, we might even strike adamantine at this rate! It would make this whole endeavor worth it, to be sure.

Beyond this however, you cannot read very much. The archaeology professor states that he found the journal somewhere far northwest, on the surface of a glacier, half frozen in the snow. He suggests that you both go to investigate further what exactly happened to this Libash Fikodasas.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13