Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12585 times)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:52 pm »

I guess I'll take a turn. Don't bury Caster, I'm going to use his ghost. :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:13:07 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:25 pm »

Well, I'll be burying everyone I can, to keep ghostly trouble down.
There are a LOT of unburied bodies, and most of them are unnamed. I know I'll miss one or two.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2011, 10:20:57 pm »

Listening in, Dumat looking up from her rum,

"Ghosts give a fort character, I say.

Ghosts tell stories. Ghosts keep you company on those long winter nights.

When you feel safe and warm, when you're cold and alone, in the company of your friends and when goblins and elves surround.

They remind you. They remind you that one step ahead, and two steps behind.

Is death."
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2011, 01:44:06 am »

I think this fort needs the ghosts around, goes with it’s character.  Just build lots of happy though generators.  Don’t need another tantrum spiral when someone gets scared to death.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2011, 10:23:19 pm »

Enigma
Theifofdreams
charred_gp
lastofthelight
accoro
Pisano
Cousen
Varnifane
Coolnesstod

Theifofdreams (2)
Enigma (2)
Naril the Wretched
Cousen (2)
Jack A T
The Master

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2011, 11:56:46 pm »

Ugh. Sorry I haven't posted any updates. Having trouble between work and my volunteering finding free time. I should be good to go for a marathon friday/saturday though, and get a few chunky updates out then.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2011, 12:05:39 am »

Ugh. Sorry I haven't posted any updates. Having trouble between work and my volunteering finding free time. I should be good to go for a marathon friday/saturday though, and get a few chunky updates out then.

*shakes fist* Damn you and your few chunk updates!

Oh...never mind.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2011, 05:22:37 pm »

Wow. Cutting it close... Sudden stuff happened, so I have to run through summer/fall/winter today. No worries. Here's the rest of spring, to keep you warm and fuzzy.

Taken from the Journal of "Z", Fortress Reclaimer Overseer

29th of Granite: There are so many levers... Many of them have helpful notes carved into the stone next to them, telling me what they activate, including a cave-in trap lever. It's been pulled, so I wonder if I should have it deconstructed for other uses. However, its existance causes me to fear pulling the unmarked ones, as I've no idea what any of them do. For all I know, one of them might collapse the entire fortress, or cover the ice sheet in magma.

10th of Slate: The number of hauntings has increased... there are now, as far as I can tell, three spectres, foul and unpleasant. Beyond Edtulmafol, the others are Erith Rovodkonad, and Litast Ilraloram. Perhaps I should have memorial slabs commisioned, as many of our dead, I've been told, lie beyond the safe walls of the fortress. Out there, several forgotten beasts roam and I'll not send more good dwarfs to their deaths, especially with so few remaining.

15th of Slate: The mayor ended a previous mandate, and mandated the construction of 3 quivers. Why, I could not say. On a more disturbing note, I learned that one of the ghostly dead, at least, has been buried properly. I'm not sure what has roused the spirit, but I'll seek to appease it with a memorial slab as well. I have begun to suspect this place has an air of madness about it, driving those that dwell here, even the dead, insane to a lesser, or greater, extent.

19th of Slate: Edem Edulmafol was succesfully put to rest. I'll have slabs engraved for the others soon.

24th of Slate: Migrants have arrived, despite the danger. Hopefully, many will be useful. The drawbridge has dropped and the migrants quickly approach. Let's see... we have... A thresher, a farmer, a child, siege engineer and fish cleaner, a blacksmith, and a woodcutter, a spinner, a siege operator, and a potter, along with various animals.After revising jobs: we have a farmer, blacksmith, woodcutter, child, and 6 designated haulers.
In a strange twist of fate, the miners had just finished digging to the mass grave at the exact moment the migrants arrived. I've ordered a wall constructed at the location of the stairs leading to the pit, and will have the hole sealed once the bodies are properly entombed within the earth.

1st of Felsite: As long as the bridge is down, I'll have some of the new dwarfs clear up afew of the items outside the fortress, and move them in. On a related note the corpses in the collapsed room are slowly being interred within the mass-grave room, but I'll have several spare slabs prepared in case of future hauntings. I also found a sealed off room, and ordered it opened. When told that it was the final resting place of two dwarfs and a forgotten beast, I forced it opened myself. The dwarfs should be given proper burials, rather then left to rot with their eternal foe.

2nd of Felsite: Goden Cuistastesh's corpse has been found. Long had the dwarf suffered under a malaise of mental illness, and as cold as it sounds, it is good that peace came at last.

13th of Felsite: Have marked out areas for the miners to dig, as we need offices for the "nobles" *The rest of this page has been carefully torn out, and the journal entry continues on the next page* and I'd prefer to have an area marked to dig for precious metals and gems as well. With alittle luck and Armok's favour, we'll strike rich veins of ore that later overseers can use.

19th of Felsite: An elven Caravan. I've no reason to let the blasted creatures in, but for the need for lumber and cloth. I may not like it, however. ... And I do wonder what will happen when they pass through the cage traps one of my predecessors left. I do hope this doesn't cause war, though they could never breach the fortress.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

What have you done with the two elves in cages; which are the merchants from last year's caravan. Maybe they are interested in ransoming them...

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »

We have elves in cages? I lost track of that amongst all the other cages. And cages. And loot. And stuff.
EDIT: Looking down the list of cages: We have goblin cages. But no Elf cages. Guess they either died or vanished.
EditEdit: At this rate, I won't be able to finish in time to get to bed for work tomorrow. I suppose I'll have to do winter after work tomorrow, which ends late afternoon.

Taken from the journal of "Z", Fortress Reclaimer Overseer
28th of Felsite: It's summer, thank Armok. Just two more seasons, and I can quit this cursed, frozen pit.

1st of Hematite: The mayor, our trade broker, has yet to appear at the depot for more then an instant. Though I've given the order that the broker is required at the depot, and will do nothing else, still she refuses to actually speak to the elves. First she took a short break to eat and drink, and now she has decided to bring all the items for trade to the depot herself.

5th of Hematite: The other ghosts were put to rest as well. It seems the slabs did the job. And at the exact same time, the mayor has finally found time to visit the elves and speak to them. I'm eternally thankful I'm allowed to delegate that task, at least.
-Afterwords: Nothing of use! They brought a few scraps of wood, and a single barrel of alcohol. All the clothing was far too expensive! We will make do with what we find in our stockpiles, I feel. Next time, I will not open the gates.

12th of Hematite: The merchants left, thank Armok. Now to close the gates. With luck, the human and dwarven caravans will bring what is needed.

26th of Hematite: More Migrants? Incredible! Let us see what we have today...
Mostly useless... However, of note: A metalsmith and bonecarver will be much appreciated in this fortress. There are piles of bone from who knows what beasts.

3rd of Malachite: Several dwarfs have become miners, and we struck lapis lazuli. Things continue apace, and Fall will arrive to find us well prepared.

4th of Malachite: The last of those slain in the cave-in have been brought in to be buried. All that is left is to seal up the hole. I would honestly prefer to fill it with more ice as well, to prevent any funny ideas. Hopefully another overseer will have the time and make the effort to do this...

9th of Malachite: Bembul Nilkalan has been possessed, confirming several of my fears. As soon as someone else arrives who seems capable of taking my place, I will abandon this acursed pit and return to the mountainhome, having succesfully completed my task.

10th of Malachite: She claimed a Craftsdwarf's workshop, and has begun to grab items.

17th of Malachite: Continued work on the Mayor's room, office, and dining room. Bembul has finally begun her mysterious construction.

23rd of Malachite: Bambul Nilkalan has created Thobilul Langgud Abod, a granite scepter. All crafsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with shell opal, decorated with rope reed fiber and encircled with bands of granite and sheep leather. This object menaces with spikes of gold opal. On the item is an image of Usib, the deity of rebirth, dance, festivals and revelry, depicted as a female dwarf in pig tale fiber. Usib is laughing. On the item is an image of a highwood in iron. On the item is an image of two blazing suns in goshenite.

6th of Galena: The mayor has mandated drums, after we failed to get the quivers made.
In response, I removed her from office, as I feel the power has gone to her head. The rooms have been set aside for the next mayor, and I'll leave notes scrawled in the walls.

12th of Galena: She was re-elected. Ugh. I don't even care anymore. She can whine about delayed punishments of whoever she wants, as long as it doesn't cause a problem.

16th of Galena: A human Caravan has arrived... I'll let them in. See if there's any value to be had.

20th of Galena: The Forgotten Beast Suku has come! An enormous eyeless chinchilla. It has a broad shell and it has a bloated body. Its amber hair is very curly. Beware its poisonous bite!
... Wait, what? A chinchilla? Armok on high... It's securely outside the fortress, so I will laugh long and hard.

22nd of Galena: Traded for some metal, meat, chests, drink, and cloth. Gave them worthless gewgaws in return. It's not much, but it's a start.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2011, 08:03:07 pm »

as far as I understand, elves don't die of hunger or thirst. I'm most likely wrong, but still.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2011, 08:28:22 pm »

Interesting.

I checked the save I posted and they had died by then.

Interesting.

This calls for science.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »

From the Journal of "Z", Fortress Reclaimer Overseer

29th of Galena: Fall has begun... the temperature will begin to drop, I fear, and even warmed as we are by molten stone, it will still find a soft spot to bite deep.

15th of Limestone: The traders departed today... This is good news, as now the gates can once more be sealed shut.

26th of Limestone: Our first engraved masterpiece since I arrived. This is excellent news, though I cannot inspect it at the moment, as I'm far too busy with paperwork.

1st of Sandstone: Limestone was almost entirely uneventful. As if to compensate, on the first of Sandstone yet MORE migrants have arrived, braving the harsh climes. I cannot believe this...

2nd of Sandstone: Mostly useless or redundant migrants... However, the bone doctor is nothing but a blessing.

6th of Sandstone: Our "valiant" mayor has misplaced her child. When the babe turned out to be dead, she cancelled her desperate seeking. Almost immediately after, I had a report that Cilob Oslankogan, Ghostly Dwarven Baby has risen, and is haunting the fortress.

12th of Sandstone: Another Forgotten Beast. Whomever finally opens these caverns will almost certainly face near instant death...

13th of Sandstone: A glassmaker, Tosid Mengegast, has been possessed as well. I wish spring would come soon, so I can escape this madness-inducing pit with the warming thaw.

20th of Sandstone: After claiming a glass furnace, Tosid gathered items, and has now begun a mysterious construction.

24th of Sandstone: The mysterious construction has been completed: Stemel Lesast, a green glass ring. All Craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is encrusted with green zircon, decorated with green glass, and encircled with bands of billon and microcline. This object is adorned with hanging rings of green glass. On the item is an image of a bat in micrcoline. On the item is an image of a giant olm in marble. On the item is an image of Titthal Priestlivid in the Oceanic Glacier in the early autumn of 197. On the item is an image of a narrow crescent in brown zircon.

25th of Sandstone: It strikes me that now is an ideal time, before winter descends, to have a well dug. I will have the miners alerted, and the well planned out. Hopefully, whoever dug out the makeshift resevoir was clever enough to allow us this small necissity.

5th of Timber: After checking how to design a well, I've ordered a 3x3 space dug out over the large space that was dug out and filled with water. I've had the middle space channeled out, and with luck, this will be perfect for a well.

12th of Timber: While the miners were digging out the nearby squares, the middle one caved in, meaning I did not need to channel it out, but I do worry about the space collapsing.

15th of Timber: A pair of workers both cancelled dumping an item, after taking fright at a forgotten beast. Inspecting the area, I see no sign of a forgotten beast... Strange.

16th of Timber: Checking the list, I can see no reason for them to have done so.
There are only 4 forgotten beasts, and all of them are wandering, sealed deep within the caverns. We also, however, apparently have 2 undead. The next overseer can deal with those, however. I only have 3 and a half months left here... I plan to make sure I enjoy it.

18th of Timber: A caravan from katthirasmel has arrived. I will not see them, though, as the fortress will remain sealed tight.

19th of Timber: My decision proves correct, as a goblin ambush has arrived. We will weather it by ignoring it completely. The entire surface of the fortress is impenetrable, except if we open a path... and none are foolish enough to do that.

21st of Timber: A liason from the mountainhomes arrived as well, directly north of the goblins. I'm unsure if this a coincidence, or a hint of something more sinister.
-Afterwords: My doubts are dispelled, as the goblins immediately move to chase the liason... I cannot order any out to protect the him, so I grit my teeth and go back to my work, offering only a short prayer to Armok for some form of mercy.

22nd of Timber: His death was swift, my prayer was answered. Praise to Armok, indeed.

23rd of Timber: They now move to strike at the caravan, but the caravan is fleeing... Both parties have left the area I can see beyond the fortress.

27th of Timber: Goden Dumatshigos organized a party at a granite table. I'm sure it's in thanks the siege has passed, rather then about the passing of so many good dwarfs.

28th of Timber: Winter has come... A deep cold, and a chill foreboding both descend upon me. I worry about the coming months, in the dark places of the fortress. The lurking madness grows stronger now, I think. I must be strong, though. My time here shortens with each moment, and soon enough I will be gone. Let another fool enjoy the "Fun" of whatever Armok graced this land with...

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »

Jeeze, it's been an eventful year, and I still have to do winter tomorrow afternoon.
3 waves of immigrants, 2 forgotten beasts, 2 fey moods, 5 ghosts, 2 deaths, and one siege.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:50 am »

Is Libash looking for her drum kid again?  I don’t blame the other dwarfs for re-electing her as mayor.  I don’t see how she survived, even after being chained up when so many other good dwarfs died.  Wonder if you will be able to bury her kid, since half of him has been carved into a drum?  I think you should leave her kid to haunt the fortress. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13