Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12616 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession/Community Fortress!
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2011, 04:59:15 pm »

I would like to remind whomever designed the 'underground defenses' that ALMOST ALL FORGOTTEN BEASTS CAN FLY. Specifically, over them and into the fortress.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »

I would like to remind whomever designed the 'underground defenses' that ALMOST ALL FORGOTTEN BEASTS CAN FLY. Specifically, over them and into the fortress.

Yeah, I thought about that, but figured someone else would build them properly later, remember I was at a time when we weren't doing so hot. NOT MY FAULT I SWEAR!

hmm, in my alternate reality version of this fortress (about 2 years in) a forgotten beast charged in but after killing a dog my military beat the crap out of the giant eye-less bird with one death, and 2 infections which just caused short-term numbness. I don't know why but every time a forgotten beast or titan busts into my fortress, a zerg rush of 10 or so militia always takes him down with one or two casualties. Probably just luck, haven't seen any diamond lion beasts yet or whatever.

Do we have a proper (read: expendable) military up yet?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 09:52:47 pm »

No, I'm having trouble getting them to spar and wield their weapons consistently. I usually embark with like 20 picks or a bunch of crossbows and have a miner/archer militia, and I'm not sure why I'm having trouble getting a military of more then 20 novice wrestlers. They just do demonstrations over and over again. I'll browse the wiki later tonight and try and figure out what military bug or problem I've run into and try and work around it. On the bright side, I do have a -few- useful people actually using their weapons, they just arn't sparring with them yet, which is about the point at which I claim a military to even be expendable.

In any case, I had to restart from the original save I downloaded; a pretty much invincible flying forgotten beast flew in and sucked the blood out of everyone. Yes, sucked their blood. The whole damn fort. My 15 or so people militia didn't even phase them, mostly because they all ran out of crossbow ammo. Everything seems much the same; charred_gp had a baby, etc. etc. The first forgotten beast showed up again, except he wasn't made of microcline, he was just a noxious sheep, so I'm thinking this time will go better, especially as the sheep doesn't have wings, just some sort of noxious aroma, and we are well-burrowed in this time. I've made more ammo, switched the militia weapons around, added more of them, and made a nice remote-trap to deal with the goblin invasion; I don't anticipate any troubles for the foreseeable future, assuming I can get the damn militia sparring.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile

I built the outer walls, but I figured that the lack of a roof would quickly be fixed by someone else, since I had other things I was working on as well, and not all FBs can fly.

Greasemunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can has be dorfed?
Not too picky on what I get.
And hey, fps rose from 4 to 12 from all the death.  That's good, right?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll post my story/update/save tonight.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Howsit for looks good.  Still a spot left for me to join?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

How's my dorf, by the way?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

Howsit for looks good.  Still a spot left for me to join?

Sure there's room for ya mate, we're running low on future overseers as is  ::)

Current list:
Enigma
Theifofdreams
charred_gp

lastofthelight
accoro
Pisano
Cousen
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, if we run out of overseers, I don't mind running a second time, later on.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did anyone notice endless, endless 'store item cancelled: cannot reach destination' spam? It literally forced half the population of the fortress into not having jobs. I just found it out was the weird room configuration confusing the pathing code. I think.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:36:20 pm by lastofthelight »

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This has got to be the most tedious fortress I have ever played. We have had -another- forgotten beast attack, and two more sieges. The site itself has -no- metal, except for lead. None. At all. We have no cats, almost no animals, and, sadly, my trap didn't work, though not for any reason I can discern; as there should have been a cave-in. I'm very sorry this is taking so long, guys, I really am.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has been well over a week, now.
What, exactly, is the word on this Cudgelpriests? Do we revert to the last save and pass it on? Or is Lastofthelight going to be able to finish it up quickly enough?

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

I'll give him 24 hours, if it's not up by then, we revert and move on.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4898

I didn't do any more then my last post; I was out of town over the weekend. I'll just write my portion up until where I last played; which was the last half of the year from the player who quit early, and the first half of my year. I have a bunch of pictures and such, so I'll start writing that now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:04:48 pm by lastofthelight »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13