Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12610 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession/Community Fortress!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 02:31:32 pm »

I'll get on that as soon as I get immigrants...

EDIT: and I'll get on getting that just as soon as I figure out how to save the game in such a way as to be able to play it.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »

Yeah, I didn't actually mean that; I mean what order we have so far for all the people who have requested a turn.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »

TURNS (Still accepting more):
Enigma
Theifofdreams
charred_gp
lastofthelight
accoro
Pisano

The list is in post 1 and I keep it updated. Gonna remove the dorfing list, just a quick reminder for theifofdreams here; first male miner migrant should be dorf'd Caster Bon.

I don't know where your problem is, but I'll walk you through the whole thing; Once you download the zip file (it's quite big mind you), you're going to want to extract it using some sort of decompression program. If you don't have one, you're pretty much screwed seeing as to upload it to DFFD you need to compress it into one .zip file as well. Once you have gotten it unzipped, you just need to copy the "region1" folder to your data/save folder (data being in the same directory as the Dwarf Fortress actual game among other things), and if you already have a file called "region1" there, rename one of them to "region#", # being any number that seems convinient. Open up dwarf fortress, click continue playing, and look for a fortress in "Thur Gomath", year 261, which should also mention "region#". Open it up and get started! Hopefully that helped...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 04:30:32 pm »

Ok, got it. Now how do I take screencaps? I'll start my posts without, though.
From the Journal of "Theif" Onshenbomrek.

1st of Granite
Okay... testing, testing, is this thing on? Okay. We're good. I write this test entry on the way to my new home, where I am to be set up as overseer. See, I was relaxing back at the mountainhome, enjoying a nice Plump Helmet roast, when the request comes in for an overseer at this out of the way expeditionary fortress. And by out of the way, I mean middle of a.. wait. this can't be right. A glacier?!
... They're sending me to a glacier. Great. Note to self: Next time, read the briefing material before leaving the mountainhome. I'm not sure who I pissed off, but by Armok's beard, there should be a limit to petty vengeance. Well, no choice now. Just have to hope whoever I'm replacing wasn't terrifyingly bad at this.

15th of Granite
Armok's Loincloth, it's COLD! Even as I write this, my teeth are chattering and my beard is covered in ice. This had better be worth it, or when I get back, I'm going to take up mining, become legendary at it, and go mining for the skull of whoever assigned me to this freezing hell.

18th of Granite
We've arrived! And it's... a hole in the ice sheet. Huzzah. I'm feeling underwhelmed. Well, the outside of a fortress rarely tells all. Maybe it won't be so bad.

18th of Granite Cont.
 Travelling downward, it's apparent the previous overseer had no idea about the infinite space available in garbage dumps. Before I proceed with anything else, I order a small cubby dug out, and designate it a garbage dump to clear out much of the stone covering the floor.
And all the workshops are clustered up too... this displeases me, so I order a large hallway dug, with rooms for workshops set up one by one. And while this takes place, I fix the severe lack of any form of defense by having a wall and drawbridge constructed around the entrance to this frozen pit. I've carved notes into the wall next to the levers that are present, indicating what they're attached to.

20th of Granite
One of the dogs running about the place gave birth today, and after inspecting our stockpiles of food, I had the pups butchered to avoid cluttering the cramped halls, and also so that we have more prepared meals. Note to self: widen hallways.
I finally got around to inspecting the cavern the miners told me about... The previous overseer cleverly ordered the construction of a small farm down there, and even had walls built around it. I fully intend to expand the walls so that we can harvest lumber from the many giant mushrooms that seem to be growing beyond the hastily constructed fortifications. Most likely, I'll have a second wall built to enclose a much larger area, using the many rocky formations to reduce the amount of wall that must be built, so that the woodcutters can work without risk.
Second note to self: See about mapping the cavern complex at a later date.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 05:13:24 pm »

I'm not sure if there's a screencap button in Dwarf Fortress, but what I do is press Print Screen, paste the picture into paint, and cut out the non-DF parts of the picture. The print screen button should be at the top of your keyboard, to the right.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20:49 pm »

5th of Slate
I write here and now that, reportedly, the first Fey mood of the fortress happened today. Our only gemcutter, Edem Edtulmafol, claimed the gemcutting table with an idea, ignoring the clouds of miasma that were filling the area. Note to self: better ventilation system for the workshops.
Possibly in celebration, though I've been unable to obtain a clear reason, the brewer Pisano decided to throw a party at one of the granite tables.

12th of Slate
The gemcutter has paused... he keeps talking about needing rough gems.
I've heard, and seen, what happens when those taken by a mood are unable to get what they need, so I've ordered the miners into the cavern to mine out several pillars of rock with gems embedded in the surface. Hopefully one of these contain the gems Edem needs.

14th of Slate
Success! Edem Edtulmafol has begun a mysterious construction!

19th of Slate
Edem Edtulmafol has created Udaralmosh Thestkig Kur, a green tourmaline grate. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with yellow Zircon, and menaces with spikes of green tourmaline.
Apparently. I haven't had the chance to see it yet. Our broker, and previous overseer, assures me the item has a value of roughly 72000, though I assured him that I plan to use it as part of a water channel, so that we might be able to pump clean, fresh water without the risk of Armok alone knows what deciding to drop in and visit.

21st of Slate
I constructed a masterpiece. I just want everyone to know how proud of it I am. I actually yelled out that I completed it, much to my chagrin. I'm worried this will be habit forming though...

14th of Felsite
An elven caravan arrived today. I'm boggled. I didn't think there were any trees for at least several hundred miles, and combined with the freezing temperature, I'm not sure how the blasted creatures survived. Oh well.. I'll trade for as many pieces of wood as I can get, and maybe some warm furs too.

15th of Felsite
Snatcher! Protect the Children! And when you catch the blasted goblin scum, may Armok have mercy on it. I certainly plan to... I hear being submerged in water and frozen is completely instantaneous and painless, after all.

1st of Hematite
According to the calender, it's summer.
According to the temperature outside, it's still winter. Only slightly less so.
I would cry in frustration, but I don't want to have to chip the ice out of my beard. again. I lost more then one good whisker last time, and I couldn't stand the tragedy of doing it again.

12th of Hematite
Well, that was.. interesting.
After a few false starts (Blasted merchant, refusing to sell for anything more then 1/2 profit..), I managed to persuade the elves that they wanted to give me 6 pieces of lumber and some surface fruit in return for 4 cut gems and some plump helmets. I'll have the fruit brewed into the nectar of Armok, sweet, sweet alcohol, and hold the seeds in reserve in case someone else decides that they're willing to take the trouble to get a greenhouse constructed where the seeds can get sunlight.
I've also gotten tired of the rotting animal parts in the entryway, and so have moved the refuse heap outside. I've also ordered the construction of a moat and drawbridge begun to avoid any more mishaps with goblin snatchers. (Fast little buggers... I'll get you yet, see if I don't.)

15th of Hematite
Looking at the stockpiles we have set aside... I find them aesthetically displeasing.
In preperation for further influxes of dwarfs, I've had the miners begin digging out proper bedrooms (2x2) rather then the cubbieholes we've used till now. I've included an expanded stockpile room in the plans. All goes well with the moat, and as soon as the drawbridge is finished, I'll have the miners channel out the inner wall of the moat to keep creatures from climbing up to our side.
As to the caverns, construction on the walls has finished, with a drawbridge included there as well.
Now we can begin lumber harvesting in earnest.

26th of Hematite
Migrants! ... Let's see, we have more animals, a mason, soap maker, woodcutter, a... potter (as if we have clay...) and. ... uhm, two ...fisherdwarfs. What?! WHY?! WHERE IN ARMOK'S MOLTEN PISS DO THEY THINK THEY CAN FISH IN THE MIDDLE OF A BLASTED FREEZING GLACIER? Note to self: Find whoever advised this place as a "pretty cool fishing hole" and let them have a turn freezing solid out here as overseer.
*the rest of the page is ripped, as if the writer tore it apart with the pen when trying to write whatever followed. The following page has been ripped out, and possibly eaten. Or shoved down a fisherdwarf's throat after questions about where the water was.*

22nd of Malachite
I DID NOT TANTRUM! I DID NOT TANTRUM!
Anyway, not much happened this past month. Work continues apace on the moat, and construction of beds in the bedrooms, as well as work on a mass burial room continues apace.
All that's left is the...
Thikut Nomalmonang, Bone Carver withdraws from society? Another mood? I swear I'm losing more hair in this fortress... Oh well. Let's see how this goes.
Craftsdwarfs' workshop claimed... Bone get successful. Multiple times.

26th of Malachite
Ast Dodokdomas organized a party at a granite table. Hmm...

6th of Galena
Mood finished. It's... wow, how do you pronounce that? Animalamnamnorobot  Ngutegngngngtotal. err.. no, apparently it's "Anamnobot Ngutegngotal", a water buffalo bone belt buckle. It is adorned with hanging rings of water buffalo bone and menaces with spikes of water buffalo bone. On the item is an image in reindeer bone. The image is of dwarfs travelling, and relates to the founding of our frigid hell-hole, err, I mean, well made fortress. Huh. 
I didn't notice before, but apparently a lot of other craftsdwarfs have begun shouting out about their masterpieces too. It was habit forming after all... I've doomed us all to an endless cacophony of pride-filled declarations, I fear.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »

14th of Galena
Human Merchants and their caravan have arrived. I plan to take as much lumber as I can...

18th of Galena
We've.. run out of buckets, apparently. I'm not sure why this is so important that dwarfs keep pestering me about it, but I'll secure some from the caravan as well, if it'll get me some respite.

28th of Galena
Autumn. Armok, the seasons are slipping through my fingers like warm grains of sand.
I already feel the chill seeping deep into the earth once more... I dread the coming winter.

13th of Limestone
The merchantmen are embarking. I wish I could go with them, for I begin to suspect that our booze supplies are running low once more, and I dare not ponder on the consequences of facing winter without something warm to curl my whiskers.

18th of Limestone
We've run out of non-economic rock... I've had the miners begin mining out the mostly unused upper floor in search of plain stone and precious metals and gems alike. With luck, our craftsdwarfs will be assuaged quickly. Note to self: Warn future overseers to begin strip-mining several floors to continue the flow of gewgaws for trade, as well as chairs, tables, coffins, and construction materials.

24th of Limestone
Kol Larsibrek threw a party today. I've no idea why... And find the constant partying suspicious. I'll put that last thought down to the cramped and uncomfortable quarters.

25th of Limestone
Migrants. A quick headcount reveals a Planter, Miner, Child, Bowyer, Fishery Worker, and a Stone-worker. the others have at least some value. The fishery worker, though, will have no work except hauling.

27th of Limestone
My fears have come to pass. We've run out of alcohol. After contemplating throwing a tantrum or three, I've asked the brewer to mass produce as much as he can make. Hopefully it doesn't take long.

19th of Timber
Our liaison to the mountainhomes, Lorban Rulushsigun from Katthirasmel arrived. With him came a human caravan, which will restock our painfully low supplies of booze and further fill our lumber piles. I only recently realized the reason our alcohol was running out was because our brewer had not been told to stop hauling.
If I were a noble, I'd have someone hammered for this elementary mistake.

28th of Timber
The descent of winter. This is worse then I expected, and even as deep beneath the crust of ice as we are, our breath fogs constantly.
I've had the miners begin carving out a cistern, with plans to channel the massive underground lake into part of it. The artifact wall grate may be wasted there, but I can't think of a better use of it, and hopefully this way we'll be able to sink a well into the deep end.

7th of Moonstone
Iden erithakmam organized a party. What there is to celebrate, I'm not sure, but anything to lighten my foul mood will help.

17th of Moonstone
The merchants have left, and once again our fortress is on it's own.
We will survive, though, and even thrive.

11th of Opal
Another dwarf, Risen Esislokum, has been stricken with one of the dreaded Fey Moods, and withdrawn from society, claiming a craftsdwarf's workshop. I hold full confidence that nothing we do not have will be needed.

17th of Opal
Another dog has given birth, so I had one of the full grown males struck down for food.
Risen has begun the mysterious construction, and I hope for something worthwhile.

21st of Opal
 Risen Esislokum created Nil Enam, sheep bone spear. The spear is encircled with bands of sheep bone, galena and alder, and it menaces with spikes of granite. On the item is an image of dwarfs in acacia. The dwarfs are travelling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Cudgelpriests.

15th of Opal
All mining projects have been finished, and after pulling the lever to close the grate on the opening into the lake, I declare that we have an open source of water. Soon enough, I suspect, we'll have reason to sink a well into the pit I had dug before hand, though I fear the pit is dug at a bad angle. We shall see...

19th of Opal
Snatchers once again. This time, they'll not get away. I've ordered the fortress sealed, and a reliable miner and ranger into the militia. With luck, the goblins will pose no threat.

25th of Opal
Spring has arrived, though there is no joy to be had. The goblins lashed out at their unexpected imprisonment in the fortress, and a nearby dwarf was slain. The militia arrived, and after a brief flurry of blows, the goblins proved the stronger. I cannot bear to even inspect the corpses my own lack of skill has caused, though I am grateful that I had coffins constructed in the previous seasons. I've had the gates opened, and resigned from my position of overseer in shame, though at least one of the foul wretches was also slain.
I can only hope to make up for my shame through hard work to improve this fortress. And maybe eventually, I'll be needed here as overseer again. We shall see.
Now I shall wallow in sorrow and mind-numbing drunkenness for the next few days, so someone better take my place soon...
The rest of the journal is blank, though several pages after the final words are crusted with what seems to be a mix of beer and water.
__________________________________________________________________________________
As a note to whoever follows me as overseer: keep the drawbridge up. I don't wish my mistakes to be repeated. I was doing well until the three snatchers appeared..
Though I'll admit: I finished all my immediate projects, so I might be alittle proud of myself. I even expanded the farmland with several smaller plots for crop diversity.
Also: someone explain to me how to upload saves to the web, now?

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:49 pm »

Go to the Data>Saves folder, right click the folder that Cudgelpriests is in, and select "Add to archive". Then go to DFFD (found here: http://dffd.wimbli.com) and upload the .zip file. Then just post the link, and I can get started.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 10:51:13 pm »

It didn't work out that way, but after some jimmying of files, zipping folders, and a bit of work, I thiiink I have it figured out.
I'm not sure though, so if this upload doesn't run for whatever reason, I'll reupload it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4851

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 11:07:44 pm »

Alright, I'm downloading it now and will tell you if I have any issues. If all goes well, I'll have a post up tomorrow.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:27 pm »

Alright. Hope you all enjoyed my style. And that the fortress continues the upward spiral.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 01:48:53 am »

How's my dorf doing?  Am I technically even dorfed yet? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:13 am »

How's my dorf doing?  Am I technically even dorfed yet? 

I tossed you in during my turn. I dunno who theif dorf'd, if anyone, there was only one pending request when he took it up I believe.

Let's see some screenshots charred, I wanna see what theif did to my beautiful fortress. Is Enigma still around?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:35 am »

Yep, everyone is alive and dorfed so far.

1st of Granite
Well well well. After two years of digging this living hell, looks like I finally get a chance to run it properly. A quick look at the stockpiles shows we are good on booze for now. Almost 360 units by my count, but I'm no broker. The goblin ran off after killing some of our men, and I've had them buried in the nearby coffins. I'm also changing the engraving orders we had up. Everyone except us original 7 engraves. End of story.

5th of Granite
Okay, this is ridiculous. Our workshops are insanely cluttered, and some are way too far away from the group. I'm digging us out a new workshop area, as well as a proper dining hall. I've already got some plans drawn out here.

9th of Granite
Removed some excess plots and made some new ones. We should have a much more stable rotation of crops now.

3rd of Slate
WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE ONLY HAVE PLUMP HELMET SEEDS?! The rest of the page is torn off

17th of Slate
A mood! Our high master mason has withdrawn from society and claimed a mason's workshop. Time can only tell what he makes us...

23rd of Slate
No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no. No. FUCK. MIGRANTS?! HERE?! WHY?! Ugh. At least it isn't too many of them, right?

24th of Slate
TWENTY ONE?! ARMOK DAMN IT I SWEAR I AM GOING TO A large number of pages are ripped, as if by writing too hard on the paper WITH A HIPPO'S FOOT!

29th of Slate
We need housing dug out, and fast. I'm having some major housing built...somewhere...Still gotta find a good spot for that.
In other news, Ber finished his work. Chasteslaughters, the holy time.

It's worth about 220000, so that's probably going to attract the attention of the greenskins soon.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 12:19:22 pm »

Looks like things are going well. I suspect if they don't seige this year, they'll seige when I take over. I'll probably pick a migrant dwarf to take over when my turn begins. Anyone interesting show up (or here but unclaimed)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13