Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12609 times)

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession/Community Fortress!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 04:58:51 am »

15th Hematite, 260

A lot been going on lately, plan is in place to get our farm up and running, with a bit of luck and good planning we'll have a plot ready to grow some brewable crops very soon. It`s a risky plan to be sure; anything involving cave-ins is, but it`s the only way we`re going to irrigate farmland, and I`ll make sure the landing area is clear before giving the order.

3rd Malachite, 260

Just about ready to give the order; going to put in a locked door to stop the water just in case there`s more of it in that ice block than we expect, and to stop someone from wandering in and getting crushed or choking on the dust that will be kicked up. We still have plenty of plump helmets and food just in case this screws up, but I`d rather be self-dependent instead of relying on all the caravans making it to our depot every year, especially in this cold. I`m about to give the miners their orders, and I`m crossing my fingers.

5th Malachite, 260

Well that was anti-climatic, to say the least. It collapsed to be sure, but almost no water at all came out of it! What use is a piece of farmland THIS small?

(That's ALL OF IT)

We'll have to cause a larger cave-in next time, this amount of mud couldn't feed one dwarf let alone the 7 here plus whatever migrants are bound to show up soon. I order the tiny amount of usable land we have to be farmed anyway; a little bit of food is better than none.

7th Malachite, 260

As if on cue to highlight the problems with our current farming establishment, we got some migrants coming in, why though is beyond me. 4 of them, travelling in from the south.

Quick interview of the incoming folks shows that we have a brewer, bringing our competence in that category up to two dwarves, a soap maker who seemed useless at first but might be useful for a future military (again, who the hell would want to conquer this hole in the ground though?), a Gem Cutter who did that for a living as opposed to our current guy, Spaghetti7 who just cut gems as a hobby before this trip, and some joker who says his specialty is "Concentration".

This one better learn to do something useful soon, in a... unique fortress like ours EVERYONE must pull their own weight. I have trouble understanding why exactly anyone's migrating here at all, least of all why a slacker like this one would go somewhere likely to be low on food, drink and comfort...

Log of Edem Dodoknugreth, Peasant and Observer-dwarf under Her Majesty The Queen Minkot Kadolottem, to be returned to Her Majesty upon Mission Completion

7th Malachite, 260

We arrived at the settlement today, and were greeted by no one. For a moment I thought that the 7 founders had made a run for it when they found out Your Majesty's clever ruse. However, soon enough one of the others was calling out for us, indicating a hole with an icy ramp going into the ground. We went down and were immediately stopped by the usurper himself, the one Your Most Finest wished to punish! He greeted us quite rapidly and explained something about cave-ins and farming and this being a bad time, before asking about our occupations. This is where I almost fumbled, but I believe that I recovered quite gracefully. I was about to say "Confirmation of Justice" when queried about my specialty, but I managed to catch myself, stating that I specialized in "Concentration" instead. This "Enigma" dwarf gave me an odd look before accepting the answer. Unfortunately, the side effect of my answer is that I shall be unable to return to the Mountainhomes with reports of the punished dwarves' success until later, so Your Majesty will not receive this log until the caravans return, and will not hear a full report in person until significantly later, if ever. For better or for worse, my fate is now intertwined with those you saw so rightfully to smite.

20th Malachite, 260

I finally managed to escape stockpiling/stone dumping duty by pretending to be "on-break". I used this opportunity to peruse the fortress stockpiles. They have a surprising amount of food and drink, and will last at least until the caravans arrive, meaning I should be able to get this log out to Your Majesty relatively soon, if not with myself included. I do not believe that the others have caught on to me, although I have heard talk between Enigma and the miners about some sort of plan to cave-in part of the fortress! I can only hope this is not some sort of clever plan to assassinate myself, but I must remain vigilant. I need to stop stuttering so much though, or they will be able to read me as easily as they would a children's book.

1st Limestone, 260

Autumn is here, and apparently the channeling is ready to be done. Over the last week or so I've learned of their plans, but still don't get the particulars; they want to crash ice into the ground to irrigate the land for farming, although why that would logically work makes very little sense to me. However, the winter caravans will soon be here, and I have a plan to escape this place, all I need to do is

Journal of Edzul 'Enigma' Siknuglikot

1st Limestone, 260

Well a while back I finished up the stockpiles and have been taking rests, but still pulling my own weight, when I come across that new useless peasant guy sitting in MY chair! Think of the nerve. He was writing in some sort of book, probably "concentrating" really hard on his latest stories. I took it and threw it into the area we're about to cave in ice through for farming. I didn't tell him when we plan on caving in the place so he can't go get it, that's the best part! Teach him to slack off and write when he should be working. I catch him doing that again and he's going to be in a box before he can close his own eyes. Stupid useless migrants, at least the other guys are working.

That's all for now, but I should be able to get more up relatively quickly, need to finish my year up faster now that we have a bit of a queue going.

(Note: Yes I did miss Galena; during that month I was just creating a bunch of stacked rooms for the second cave-in attempt, lots of boring stone-dumping and the like there, nothing important happened.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:01:16 am by Enigma »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 05:40:01 am »

I'm guessing I'm the soapmaker?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 07:32:46 am »

Well techinically I don't have a military yet, but he'll be first on the list for it when it does come around so yes, I suppose you'll end up the soap maker.

Fun fact: that concentration peasant is the first truly useless migrant I've ever gotten.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 07:44:03 am »

Well techinically I don't have a military yet, but he'll be first on the list for it when it does come around so yes, I suppose you'll end up the soap maker.

Fun fact: that concentration peasant is the first truly useless migrant I've ever gotten.

Ok, remember, please make him or her an axe(wo)man. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:17 am »

Sneak Preview!

All this and more, TOMORROW!

(I'll try and finish up the first turn by this weekend, plenty of spare time for it now)

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 12:03:14 pm »

I'll take a turn and a dwarfing please.  Name: Pisano, occupation whatever is available.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 08:58:26 pm »

Cavern in the first year? this promises interesting times.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »

5th Limestone, 260

And so at the beginning of autumn, we are now just about ready to have another stab at it. Several layers of rooms again, door securely locked above our future farmland, and a significantly larger cave-in area planned out now.

Hopefully this will produce more water than last time.

6th Limestone, 260

Whoa...

We have found a cavern. I do believe our wood problems are now over. It's going to be hard to get down there though, especially using the hole we cracked in the floor. I still don't understand how it happened, wypie and charred just rushed up to me with an excited sound to their voices, saying they heard more than their caved-in ice cracking. I unlocked the door, looked down and saw; obviously the area we used for the farm was above a relatively thin layer of rock seeing as the falling ice cracked right through the tough granite that made up the floor. I kicked a stone in and heard a splash a few moments later. From what we can see from up here, there's a large pool of water surrounded by mud (that'll make farming a breeze!), and plenty of underground trees growing. We can't see much farther into the cavern. I think that we'll close up this hole and make a controlled staircase to go down there instead, I want us to stay as safe as possible when exploring this place. Probably build walls and such too, you never know what lurks in the deep. That's what my gran always said anyway...

21st Limestone, 260

More migrants, and from the north this time. Only 3 of them, probably adventure-seeking whackos who heard about our little cavern adventure a while back.

This time we got ourselves a metal crafter, a wood burner and an engraver. It's like the mountainhomes knew how we were developing... I'm going to need to make a nice axe if we want to get around to wood-cutting though. Later however; we have greater priorities. The floor is almost done, but if we want to survive we NEED that cavern. At the same time, early observations indicate at least one "Giant Olm" down there. I'm a cosmetic surgeon, so I have no idea what the hell that means but it doesn't sound friendly.

With a bit of luck we can have fortifications set up and a farming operation in business soon enough. We're overstocked on wood now that we have a source, so starting to cut can wait however.

Oh yeah, and that "Concentrator's" diary is lost forever too, so that's nice to know. Maybe I'll draft him and send him down first to look for it himself...

27th Limestone, 260

That hole in the ground is safely sealed off now, nothing will crack through it now. Probably a good idea to floor up the upper levels though too; if 7 migrants bother going through the trouble to come here, I wouldn't put it past the goblins, those stupid bastards, to have a visit too. I'm sure they wouldn't survive the fall but you know, better safe than sorry.

28th Limestone, 260

Miners just finished two large rooms downstairs; plan on using them for a meeting hall and a set of workshops respectively. All stone will get stored upstairs, and we'll throw in some other defenses too. Crazier things have happened than a land-grab of a glacier, and while I'd normally let them have it, they probably wouldn't let us live anyway.

27th Sandstone, 260

We've been working a lot lately, and it paid off, as our downstairs living quarters are almost ready!

Still cramped, but at least we don't need to worry about stone. The caravan should be coming any day now, which will be good considering how much time we've spent on making goods just for the mountainhomes. We really need an anvil so we can start churning out metal from all this Galena. Seeing as it's the only metal we've found so far, it looks like our future military will be equipped with hammers and maces...

3rd Timber, 260

HOLY SHIT A POLAR BEAR!

That's the first wild animal I've seen out here! Hopefully he doesn't notice our hole in the ground...

8th Timber, 260

We built a stairway down into the caverns without incident.

Going to erect a few walls and get a farm started down there. Right now the plan is to stay in a relatively confined area to farm before creating an opening and exploring further.

17th Timber, 260

Walls erected, farm ready to farm up! It's all good times from here on out!

19th Timber, 260

Caravan finally arrived, along with a liaison! I'll have some choice words for the queen when they get here.

25th Timber, 260

It's my birthday today. Looking back at what we've pulled off, I can't say that I can come up with a better present than the control of a hardy group like these dwarves... I'm not serious of course. The best present was that anvil will pulled off the caravan along with all that leather, cloth and food supplies in exchange for a bunch of pretty gems and a couple hundred mugs we weren't planning on using anyway. Have fun with those Your Majesty! Caught that "Concentration" fellow trying to sneak out with the caravan, I suppose actual work isn't his thing. Didn't let him go of course; he chose to come here, he stays. In the meantime, farming operations have commenced in the caverns!

We're all set for winter, and once we get this cave exploited to the fullest, we won't need to rely on caravans every year. Unfortunately, this year's events have led to me not truly overseeing our defenses. While this hasn't been a problem yet, it's always better to be safe, right? Onwards, to winter then!

Wow. I guess dropping ice on the ground really did give us some farmland, even if it wasn't in the intended manner. Almost done...

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:05:25 pm »

Cavern in the first year? this promises interesting times.

Hehe yeah. I suspect the reason is because we're in a glacier, we had to dig deep a lot faster than most fortresses, putting us almost at z-levels -10 and below. The cave-in was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Have fun with that cavern by the way, you'll probably be the first one to be able to do anything substantial with it, I'm just setting up farmland.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:21 pm »

Hmm.. cut through the rock at one point near the walls... drawbridge with redundant levers (1 in the main fortress, 1 near the bridge itself), secondary walls to section off area for clear-cutting...
My biggest concern after that will be setting up a small channel/pump/cistern to get clean and fresh water up to fortress levels rather then complicated projects to melt ice. Hmm..
*Wanders off, muttering about defensive uses on the surface*

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 02:27:38 am »

I really hope my guy gets military training soon.  Considering that we have a cavern below us, and a polar bear above us, we might need a militia soon. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 03:10:44 am »

I really hope my guy gets military training soon.  Considering that we have a cavern below us, and a polar bear above us, we might need a militia soon.

Polar bear left. I guess he thought we were too boring or something.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 09:59:58 am »

Any chance we could get some more information about the schedule?

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 11:15:08 am »

Any chance we could get some more information about the schedule?

You get a week to finish your year, starting from when the last overseer posts up the save to the same day give or take a day or so. If that's what you meant, rules are pretty loose. If you meant something else though, please elaborate. I broke my own rule I guess, but hey, I had a tough job too. Winter update is now finished, start when ready theifofdreams!

7th Moonstone, 260

Winter is upon us, and we're far better off than I would have ever predicted. In the proccess of moving our goods downstairs while we leave the stones upstairs. Going to move the trade depot into a more securable position as well, so we can have a drawbridge that raises to protect both our entrance and the depot. Going to remove the current ramp down once that's done as well.

3rd Opal, 260

Drawbridge is built and ready, with a lever in the meeting area ready to seal off our 2nd floor from the above world at the flick of a switch. I also assigned our local useless peasant to furnace operation, maybe he'll learn to do something useful for once.

25th Obsidian, 260

This winter was surprisingly uneventful; I moved sleeping quarters downstairs, but aside from that nothing happened. However, despite the uneventful past three months, I regret that I must now step down as controller of this hole in the ground. The stress of the first year ehre has caused me to become unfit for my job, as is my professional opinion. I will still act as broker and medical dwarf of the fortress (although I haven't stretched my surgery chops for a while now), but decisions will no longer be made by me. I did my part, and I now hand on the torch for others to do theirs.

Winter update was a tad lame and short I know, to make up for the awesome cavern-discovery in autumn. And I figured I should finish up my turn quickly too. There simply wasn't very much going on to report anyway. Quick note to future overseers; nothing too complex set up yet, although I'd recommend building a second drawbridge or something to seal off the main area from the caverns just in case, and to build up the walls to the ceiling to stop fliers from coming in; haven't seen any yet, but you know, better safe than sorry. We have 256 drinks and 185 prepared meals (plus other stuff) prepared for the future, which by my count will last 14 dwarves a bit over 6 seasons before the booze runs out, and 6 and a half seasons before the prepared meals run out, not counting any plump helmets grown and whatever other food we have lying around. I have a training axe built for future woodcutting operations, and that's good because we only have 13 logs left. All 14 dwarves have their own 1x1 bedroom now so you can remove the dormitory beds upstairs if you like, save them for future migrant waves.

Only thing you really need to know is that the lever in the meeting room lifts the bridge in the *down* direction, flinging whatever's on it towards the depot. Depot should be accessible with the bridge down.

DFFD link is Here, knock yourself out theifofdreams! Anyone else who wants to have a look is welcome to grab it of course :)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 02:06:05 pm »

Can I get a male mechanic, please?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13