Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12604 times)

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2011, 03:57:11 am »

20th Felsite, 263, Late Spring
---------------------------------------
Engraved in a fortress under a glacier, carved on granite rock is the chronicles of Urist Curdledbread.  Made into stark relief by the highly acidic substance “dwarfen gold” as it was known back then.  Even with modern !!SCIENCE !! we are unable to replicate a substance that is so versatile.  Historic uses included and was not limited to – tanning, rock sculpting and even cooking.  Odd that no written record remains of how it was made, only reverences here and there to show it was used.

Enough of my ramblings and musing I will use this as a log to show what was found and perhaps later write a book about it.  For now, just some rough sketches and extracts.

Armok’s bearded balls! We are besieged by goblins, and half the dwarfs are running around in panic, throwing tantrums. Zuglar the recruit went insane and is running around in a berserk rage.  His dear friend Edem ‘Groovechambers’ (also with 0 happiness points) is trying to restrain him, even after a after what would normally be a crippling punch to the kidney*1 Zuglar is fighting on… 

This… it’s…light save us, I just don’t…I’m praying to the light, me a dwarf. Cursed!, this place is cursed. 

On a field of ice and snow, a tale unfolds.  A tale of a love so deep and pure, or is it vengeance from beyond the grave?  I fear we will never know.  Littered with corpses and gore, bit’s of clothing strewn about. A silver war hammer lies glinting in the sun.  Lifting a hand to block the glare, a vision unfolds…no, not a vision, a drama, a horror.  Sigun our pump operator is trapped up on the glacier.  What is he doing there, surely he could not have missed the order that the entrance will be sealed.  AND he is right next to the goblins. Why?

Was Sigun lured to her doom by the ghost of Urdim, or did she go by her own free will?  I am no bard and will leave such tales to them.

Continued on that same day..

Dark sorcery, truly Armok has turned his back on us. Charred_gp and Lastofthelight melted.  Their dying screams still echo through the fort.  I will never forget the sight, charred_gp cradling her baby in her arms, the flesh oozing off both of them, puss eruption and bursts of witch fire bursting forth.  All that remains is a shadow burned onto the floor.   It appears by some dark deed their fate was linking to that of the forgotten beast Rupola.

Wypie too traumatized by these events has been relieved of his duty as captain of the guard.  I Urist Curdledbread Alathuvar will succeed where he has failed. 

The prison might as well be nonexisting, with only 3 chains - and it is doubtful if they will hold a dwarf in a berserk rage.   My first order of duty is to declare martial law.  None may enter or leave the fortress.  I also ordered the drawbridge lowered .  We are not craven elfs or humans, we do not hide behind walls and moats.  We will fight the Goblin force here within our halls.  This place will be their tomb.  Mangled and torn corpses will be hauled outside, frozen and preserved for all future invaders to see.  I will build a pyramid of skulls in honour of Armok.
=====

25th Felsite, 263

The goblins proved to be a craven bunch, they scattered at first sight of an armed dwarf.  The day was won without bloodshed.  I fear this has done nothing to appease Armok. Another dwarf went insane, Zulban our cook.  One of the original seven dwarfs that carved out this cesspool in snow and ice, most effected by it’s evil taint.  Fighting like a beast she attacked a war dog, biting the dog on the leg, latching on shaking it around. Ripping out flesh and opening up an artery.  I have given the order to kill her on site.

The mood in the fortress has taken a turn for the worst, many dwarfs refusing to work and reports of vandalism coming in.  I have order the old metlsmith’s forge destroyed and the anvil is to be used in the new magma forge.  More chains are needed in the dungeons.

The restrictions imposed by martial law has been lifted somewhat, dwarfs are free to go where they please, but I will remain in command until order has been restored.

=========
22nd Limestone, 163 Autumn
=========

A long drawn out wail echos through the fortress, instantly freezing the blood of all who hears it....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Momuz clamps her hand’s to her ears, but it’s no use.  Libash forever cursed as kinslayer, has been screaming for days now.  Not for the first time she gives thanks to Armok that Ushir managed to capture the vile creature and ended her self proclaimed rain as mayor. Images from the last couple of weeks flashes through her mind. Urist Curdledbread lying on the snow, his skull caved in.  The strangled corpse of a child lying in the dungeons.  The doors should have been locked, prisoners should have been separated.  But it’s to late now, they are all dead.  Everyone is dead.

She arrived at this place on the 6th of Malachite along with seven other dwarfs.  All they could think of was getting out of the cold, but soon they wished they never climbed down those stairs into the heart of darkness.

That fool Alathuvar displeased Armok by not building a pyramid of goblin skulls as he was commanded to.  Worse his half-baked attempts at trying to re-establishing the fortress guard only made the riots worse.  Justice is what he called it. Justice? Murder more like it.  How many died under his rule? Eleven dwarfs from over eighty remain.  All of them ether crippled in bed or babbling incoherently.

She sees Libash again, holding her baby, tears running down her cheeks when suddenly she looses a roaring laughter....
....walking into the butchers shop she hacks apart the child and builds “The Hawk of Caner, a dwarf bone drum”.
Everyone ran out of the fortress at that point, assembling in a pit dig into the ice, hoping to find shelter.  Anything to escape the berserk dwarfs and madness in the fort, but the whole thing collapsed on them and...Libash standing by a lever, smiling….

Momuz and her companions was only spared because they were down in the caverns, assigned to ploughing the fields.  It’s the end of Limestone now, the reaming dwarfs elected her as mayor and nine new dwarfs showed up today.

The screaming has stopped, Momuz sais another quick prayer to Armok.

1st Granite, 264

===
Spring has arrived and a new year starts.

I am stepping down as overseer.  Armok have pity on the next poor fool who tries to run this place.

Things have settled down now over winter.
A outpost liaison arrived with a trade caravan also bringing with them a vile force of darkness – Goblins.  I order the bridge over the moat raised and half the traders where caught outside and slaughter by the goblins, unfortunately the diplomat made it inside safely and is doing his best to talk to me. I just ignore him.  Knowing the traders would go insane eventually – I dealt with them….
The goblins eventually got bored and left and the bridge was lowered.

Also Libash lives and is roaming free in the fort, perfectly happy and a productive member of the society…..

=====
*1 Enigma informs that years of drinking mostly just plump helmet wine has fortified the dwarfs kidneys.  Actually to the point where dwarfen piss is considered a valuable commodity around the world.  I went to Spaghetti7 for further verification, him being an adequate tanner himself. What he  said was that just half a cup of “dwarfen gold” will remove all hair and gore and even bleach the raw hides when not distilled with correct amounts of water.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:27:45 am by Cousen »

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2011, 06:44:48 am »

Guys, I don’t know what’s going on, the moment the game is unpaused charred_gp and her baby melts, literally .  when the save starts up they look 100%, no wounds nothing, unpause and you get a message that they bled to death, no message of attack or anything, they just die.  Revert back and unpause and pause in quick succession and look at them and you see that they are melting.  Very creepy.   What’s going on here?

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2011, 09:03:53 am »

Apologies, guys. College had started, and my internet was down. Sad times indeed.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2011, 09:17:01 am »

Sigun started out up there, I think she was a migrant who got bugged out. No idea about the melting. I have no such problems.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2011, 09:34:56 am »

Sigun started out up there, I think she was a migrant who got bugged out. No idea about the melting. I have no such problems.

So no deaths when you unpause the game, no tantrum spiral going on?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2011, 11:03:44 am »

Nope. I'd double check, but this is an 'odd' weekend for me, and I only have DF-computer access on even weekends. The recruits -were- unhappy, mind, due to the downward spiral of 'all military recruits need civilian and military skills or they get unhappy every season' - but they were not tantruming. Then again, I noticed a -LOT- of bugs and problems with this save, just not THOSE ones. Its part of why it took so long for me to do. I'd say just go with it though if you can salvage it; even if you have one or two recruits tantruming, they shouldn't be able to cause that much trouble.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:06:35 am by lastofthelight »

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2011, 12:14:42 pm »

I'll check later today.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2011, 03:23:27 pm »

Yup. 

They melted when I opened the file also. I've stuff like this before when someone walks through magma while temperature is turned off and then temperature gets turned on later.

I'll test the theory in a few hours.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »

Sorry bout that guys, lots of work piling up. Why did temp get turned off though, were we suffering lag? And if we were, why'd we turn it back on?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2011, 07:18:56 pm »

Alright, so Cousen told me about the state of the fortress, and things aren't looking so good. I assume that lastofthelight had temperature turned off to save FPS, and then at some point some of the dwarves waltzed through magma unharmed. Then of course we move on to someone else who has it on, and they all suddenly realize their folly as they get around to melting. On a side note, we're running low on dwarves, particularly the named ones.

So there are two solutions to this problem; either revert to before lastofthelight's save and keep the temperature ON this time (and not get attacked by goblins so much hopefully ;) ), or everyone else turn temperature off for the remainder of the fortress, and struggle on through. Just state your opinion below.

PS. I haven't got a proper look at the save myself, will do that later today (tomorrow morning for those in america, nutty timezones), but things don't *sound* good.

EDIT: Of course we could always just keep the settings as is and let the fortress come to a natural conclusion, if that's an option in anyone's mind as well  :-\
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:11 pm »

I loaded up the save and let it run without intervention for a season.

Only saw two people melt and the tantrum spiral was small.

We should be fine to continue.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2011, 12:04:55 am »

Should be fine if we increase happiness causing effects in the fortress (High quality food, bedrooms, increase statue gardens, engrave everything, see about getting a waterfall indoors... :P)
And noone else is to turn off temp, or it'll only get worse later on.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2011, 02:44:01 am »

Alllright, moving on then.  I updated my post. I am going to pick up the pace a bit and probably abandon Curdledbread, otherwise I will never get done with my turn.  There is allot of notification spam happening in game, hopefully I won’t miss the deaths of our other named dwarfs

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:24 am »

So I think I broke the beasts back. fort is mostly back on track, well sortof. Uhm the unhappy dwarfs is no more or locked away..well mostly…   Only Wypie still lives of the named dwarfs and only because he lost a foot and is trapped in his room.  The rest ether died with an axe in the head or under tons of collapsing ice and they where insane or being attacked by a berserk dwarf at the time. So pretty dwarfy deaths

Update the post at the top again

If it’s any consolation, my named dwarf also died  the only note I could make of the game play was
26th malachite
Mad shit****
Everybody died around there and Libash….  So I took measures, separated the old blood from the new blood and entombed them all in ice. Riots ended right there.  one or two stragglers survived. But since none of the new migrant wave formed any friendship no more unhappy thoughts. Engraving, burying the dead nothing helped…. And that prison was the biggest fail ever. One of the dwarfs in there went insane and all the rest was to scared to run in and tie up the criminals.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:35:59 am by Cousen »

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2011, 09:31:09 am »

Who is next http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4928

I leave you with 19 if not happy then content dwarfs, ample supplies and plenty of hauling to do. O and some ghost’s around also, have fun burying the dead!

It's been fun guys, I practically played a full year and loads of stuff happened so I am content in handing over the fort to the next guy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13