Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12605 times)

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession/Community Fortress!
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 12:42:57 pm »

I haven't taken a good look at them yet, but I'll say if there's anything good in my next post.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 03:13:21 pm »

Yeah, the workshops were cluttered when I got there, too. I had too much to do to get them all spread out properly, but I managed to get a few set apart. (What do you mean, to far away?!)
I'm pretty sure I put in an order for more seeds, and there should at least be some plants you can process into seeds.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:23 pm »

Part two, coming up!

I took a look at the migrants. Most of them were useless, but among them were fairly experienced metalworkers. A high master smelter, an accomplished weaponsmith, and a talented armorer. Perfect. We're going to need all the gear we can get...

30th of Slate
Found a good place to dig out a fairly big living area. It will house around 80 dwarves, and I plan to use it mostly for non-noble dwarves. The only issue I foresee is a serious need for beds, which means a serious need for wood. Better get that military up and running soon...

12th of Felsite

Elves. We let them in, took everything of value, and told them to go get mauled by a bear. Good riddance to bad tree-huggers. I started a makeshift squad of marksdwarves. It's not much, but they still need quivers and bolts. Going to work on making the fort more defensible next.

1st of Hematite

Summer already? Damn. Time flies when you're working hard.  The defenses are coming along nicely, as nice as a ring of fortifications can come, and we have plenty of bone bolts for our marksdwarves to train with. Hopefully it'll be enough...

27th of Hematite

Breached a second cavern while digging downwards. There was a pack of troglodytes nearby, but we only breached through the ceiling, thankfully. I'm not sure if we should seal it, or dig deeper for some sweet, sweet magma.

28th of Hematite

Our mayor Ilral has mandated the construction of Rose Gold goods. I've decided the fort guard needs the mayor as it's only member, and that a giant toad would be a suitable challenge for him. Chop chop, buddy!

2nd of Malachite

I don't believe it. I am seeing the mayor proudly standing over the toad corpse, and I still don't believe it. He beat the giant toad to death with his bare goddamn hands. New mission! Kill the troglodytes so we can enter the second cavern!

8th of Malachite

MORE MIGRANTS! Please! Come in! Take our food and booze! Contribute nothing to our fucking fort! I insist! Our housing area is now completely goddamn full. I swear, if any more come in, I'm leaving them to freeze.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »

3rd of Slate
WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE ONLY HAVE PLUMP HELMET SEEDS?! The rest of the page is torn off

Hehe yeah, I only embarked with plump helmet seeds because I figured we wouldn't need to start farming other crops until a significant time later. That first year cavern breach was unexpected, after all.

Hmm, when the inevitable siege comes, the fact that we're underground means that if we're not ready for them, it should be pretty trivial to set up a massive cave-in seeing as we're underground, but can just dig up to above them with plenty of ice left over on top right? Just an idea to whichever poor sucker gets stuck with that first attack.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 01:34:23 am »

I'd like to be dorfed please. A mechanic, doctor or engraver?

I may or may not take an overseer turn, we'll see if there's a shortage or not I think. (I already have 3 forts of my own at the moment, is all)

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 04:56:39 am »

Just think it might be worth it to post up a list here.

TURNS (Still accepting more):
Enigma
Theifofdreams

charred_gp
lastofthelight
accoro
Pisano

We got 4 more fellows in line, could always use more though. If we reach the end of the list, or start to run low I'll begin to accept repeat overseers.

Also, just a quick reminder to charred, if you happen to have a male miner on board, he should be dorf'd as Caster Bon.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 05:46:54 pm »

Okay, I've dwarfed Rush and Caster. Thanks for the notice, Enigma. Unfortunately, due to real life getting in the way, I'm going to have to step down a little early.

19th of Malachite
Since the mayor insists on sleeping and eating instead of going on his death-quest, I've started digging out a prison. I also found out there is in fact enough room under our current housing area for another entire wing! Once the prison is done, I'm going to get to work digging that out.

20th of Malachite
Where are the migrants? Shouldn't they have come in by now? Wait...THE DRAWBRIDGE IS CLOSED! Oops. I hope they don't feel too mad at me for that. I'm sure I can cast the blame on the mayor. If he's still alive...
Oh, and some guy got a fey mood. Hooray, I guess?

25th of Malachite
Okay, fuck this guy. He took down a reacher with his bare hands, too. I'm locking up the caverns and hoping he starves. Or something eats him. Either or, really.

26th of Malachite
Glad I locked up the caverns. A jabberer came out of nowhere and pretty much completely destroyed the mayor. Bye bye, stupid rose gold mandate!

8th of Galena
Welp, the mood's done. The Test of Mechanisms, he calls it. It's worth 55200. Not even a legendary mason out of the whole thing. Lame.

14th of Galena
New mayor, same bullshit. What is it with rose gold? WE CAN'T MAKE ANY, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!
Huh? Oh, I think someone said the humans arrived. Maybe they have some rose gold we can use...

22nd of Galena
No rose gold, but we got some wood and some booze. Better get that jail furnished so we don't lose anyone...

25th of Limestone
More migrants! You know what? I'm sick of migrants. The fort is now closed to all new entries! Guess you sorry losers can freeze!

30th of Limestone
Bored now. Gonna order the fort to smootheverything.

8th of Timber
Ha ha! A mood! One of our butchers took a craftsdwarf's shop. Here's hoping for something worthwhile...

17th of Timber
Artifact's done. Caravan came. Dug out stairs to the surface leading to the caravan. I'm going to put a retracting bridge over it later, so we can have an effective caravan airlock.

20th of Timber
Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck it's an ambush! I found them while digging out the entrance to the airlock, and our military is all but useless!

23rd of Timber
We survived. The caravan guards saved us, but all of our hammerdwarves are dead. Most of the last wave of migrants got killed too. I pray there isn't a third ambush waiting for us while we get everything together...

And so ends my stint as overseer. A few parting notes on the fort:

*The airlock is being linked to the Trade Depot lever.
*I haven't traded with the caravan yet, but I think the liason got killed by the goblins.
**On that note, try to buy as many seeds as you can, so we can grow something other than plump helmets.

Sorry for not being able to continue, but I hope this fort does well!

EDIT: D'oh! Forgot to upload the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4858
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:00:18 pm by charred_gp »

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »

I was the mayor wasn't I... you killed me... you dick. I was such a hardcore badass too, and a doctor, and a trader. So how does that make you feel.

Why were you building a second entrance to the trade depot? We already have one entrance secured by the drawbridge, I don't really see what  you were trying to do unless I misunderstood what you were doing.

TURNS (Still accepting more):
Enigma
Theifofdreams
charred_gp

lastofthelight
accoro
Pisano

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 08:47:16 pm »

No, it was some random dwarf. All the named dwarves are alive and well. And I wanted to make the airlock so we didn't have to risk letting in enemies during a siege or an ambush. If it works the way I planned, one bridge will always be down, preventing enemies from getting in.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 08:55:02 pm »

13th of Slate:

I have been trapped in darkness and torment for too long. I no longer remember the name of the god whom I offended, nor my own name, nor the name of my people. Once, I was a high priest...then...I blasphemed. I was entombed, sealed within the caverns and cursed. All has been darkness for so long. I know that I am mad. I eat, but I know not what. I kill, but I know not what. My body is a dumb beast, my mind trapped within, forever. I no longer remember how to pray for death.

24th of Slate:

For the first time in forever, I have seen. I do not know what; dwarves and people and a cave. I was not my self, but I know not what I was. Inside another. Some of my rage and pain and torment leaked into him, and he flew into a rage over some petty issue. I know not what. The vision of sweet existence faded soon, to be replaced by oblivion and madness.

28th of Hematite:

I returned into the...other form, the sane form. My madness overtook it once more, and I believe it conspired to murder one of its fellows. I feel great sorrow for this, even as my rage and pain delights in the death. The vision lasted longer this time, though I was still a prisoner within it, as I am within my own body. I begin to remember that once, I prayed in vain in the darkness and the vile for my death. I believe I am driving this dwarf insane.

20th of Malachite:

I returned to the body of the dwarf. I know his name now...charred_gp, a legendary miner. The jealousy and rage I felt at his pleasures, of being able to walk and drink and mine, caused him to murder many, many dwarves. There was nothing I could do to stop him. I have had forever to deal with this rage, my blind impotent, murderous rage, and he is but a child compared to me. I saw their broken, scattered bodies, heard their screaming, and felt a terrible, evil joy. And when I did...he smiled, as well. I did not really wish to feel that way, but the emotion overcame me. If I could kill myself for the trouble I have brought to these people, I would, but I cannot. I can only endevour not to bother them again.

25th of Malachite

Again I am in the dwarf. I tried to calm my emotions, to end the vision. It is a hideous thing to be trapped in the form of a monster, groping in the dark, but worse to see what you have lost and know you will not regain it. I tried to calm my emotions, but instead I gained a measure of control. The dwarf still did evil; I believe I have had some lasting effect on his mind. He does not seem aware of me, however.

8th of Timber:

I again left my body and entered another. But not the original. This time a craftsdwarf. In return for the suffering I have caused, I tried to create something of beauty. I then returned to my imprisonment far below, and found my body feasting upon a... ...it bears not mention.

23rd of Timber:

I am in the body of charred_gp again. I do not believe I shall return to my own body soon. I know not where his mind has went, or where it goes when I take over. I only know that I am free of the curse of whatever foul god left me in the deeps to be forgotten, to be a prisoner in my own form suffering vile physical degradations forever, sleeping in my own vile and eating refuse and carrion. I live again. I'm going to go have sex.

24th of Timber:

I have begun to look at the state of this fortress. It is in good shape, but seems to have suffered recently, as I knew well. I have ordered the digging of some exploratory mine shafts, to look for more resources, ordered the purchasing of all the meager seeds from the traders, and many bars of metal and cloth and leathers. Our food and drink stockpiles are good. I shall open many more farms.

Sadly enough, these poor dwarves have no barracks. I have enlisted many of the more competent looking dwarves into a second squad, which I shall give the most elite training and equipment I can too. Once I have equipped them, I shall expand the barracks and set up as many dwarves as I can training on rotating shifts. This fortress is far too idle, and needs to prepare for the future. I -know- what lurks beneath, and I have seen the carnage of what lurks above.

For the first time, I am not sorry to be alive.

I find, to my pleasure, that the Dwarf Enigma has survived. As it seemed intelligent and competent, I have made it the captain of the new elite guard unit, and given it several other promotions. A modest start, but while my sanity remains I shall help these dwarves how I can.

A bit of an unusual one, but I was hoping I could at least write a good story. Yes, my character is a forgotten beast. What sort, I have no idea, as we havn't encountered any yet. All I did was look around a bit, and issue some of the more obvious orders. The place is in good shape, but a bit hard to keep track of. Obviously food is an ongoing priority, but the military really needs some work, and I'm hoping I can keep the dwarves productive and relatively free from the endless sieges which are sure to come from all directions. My current military plan is to get two well-equipped squads training, and to keep them out of combat until they are at least decently trained, then get a bunch of poorly-equipped/non productive grunts/migrants training. Once I get some semblance of a military, I'll probably try and see what I can do about traps.

Enigma, for the record, the rumors of your death are greatly exaggerated.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:06:17 pm by lastofthelight »

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25:31 pm »

That's kinda interesting.  :o
I'm sure it'll prove cool later. I'm curious how my dwarf is doing, though. And glad my fortifications have proven fairly useful. Even if they aren't perfect.
Also: Charred, I like that housing plan, and since it saves so much space, I'm stealing it for my fortresses from now on.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:29 am »

I find, to my pleasure, that the Dwarf Enigma has survived. As it seemed intelligent and competent, I have made it the captain of the new elite guard unit, and given it several other promotions. A modest start, but while my sanity remains I shall help these dwarves how I can.

I won't be military! This simply won't do! I could get hurt or killed! How am I supposed to murder Minkot if I die?!

Seriously though, I don't know about other migrants, but I've always heard it was a bad idea to send your diagnostician/chief medical dwarf into the military (unless he's the militia commander and won't actually fight). I don't know if you've gotten some migrants better at medicine than my dorf or I somehow managed to gain fighting skills though. Take care of me, is all I'm saying. If I get a second turn I want to be the same dorf dammit :P

</moddlecoddle>

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 08:08:50 am »

I'm not actually planning on sending the 'elite dwarves' into a fight  - its mostly an excuse to beef up the named dwarves so they last longer. If they get to legendary training someone else can send them in though.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 08:13:22 am »

I'm not actually planning on sending the 'elite dwarves' into a fight  - its mostly an excuse to beef up the named dwarves so they last longer. If they get to legendary training someone else can send them in though.

I like beef, please beef my dorf up, also give him superdwarven stats by making him mine constantly.  Please.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2011, 11:10:23 am »

So, not a full update, but to keep you appraised. I've played more of my 1.5 years. Uh, this certainly is going to be an...eventful year. I encountered a Forgotten Beast. I found a magma pipe. I have found some useful metals.... Yeah, I took on an interesting year, and I'm just barely into it. Also, charred_gp gave birth. Since I hadn't bothered to check his gender, I didn't even realize the dwarf in question was female. Oops. Charred, did you realize the dwarf was female? Not really sure how to handle that yet. Also, Wypie made an artifact.

Edit: Also, an invasion. And ANOTHER forgotten beast. And sadly, while it flew over our defenses and is kicking the shit out of our military, that baby is actually doing serious damage to it, by comparison. Its a dodging @!!#!@## and actually doing some harm.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:13:04 pm by lastofthelight »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13