Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12593 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »

Two things:
  • I tested the save from both the initial compression and from 4shared. No issues and FPS bouncing between 90 and 100. Not that this necessarily means that the save game is good.Just that my comp works with the save.
  • I also checked the names of the dwarves I turned over to the ones I received. The names matched, so I think all of the original (and named) dwarfs were already dead. Which makes sense based on the 80+ to 18 shrinkage from the tantrum spiral.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2011, 09:54:13 pm »

Like I said, the save works for me too, so unless you can figure out what's wrong with it for you, Coolness, I'll take over later.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2011, 09:56:33 pm »

take over, I'm in no mood to fiddle with dwarf fortress right now.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2011, 10:11:31 pm »

Got it. Figuring out how I'm going to do this...
Will get the first post up soon, and then will tryyyy to get the second up late tomorrow. After that, I won't finish up 'till wednesday. FYI and all.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »

I was wondering if it was the ice bridges that were missing for you. If so we may still be experiencing fallout from the temp/no temp/temp thing.

In any case it may be worthwhile to replace all of the ice bridges with stone.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »

Hmm... Checking over them: It seems that, if it's just the ice bridges, that may be because most of them are currently in the Up position, so that they're not visible except along the walls.
nothing visibly wrong with them, on my save. I -still- have yet to unpause, though, so we'll see what happens if I pull the lever.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2011, 01:42:19 am »

You are resting in a coffin Theif, your missing foot prevented protected you from getting euthanized the unfortunate accident, but it also meant that there was no one who could bring you food and water.   Did I mention there was no well when I got the fort? Endless spam about no water.

The graphics had weird symbols when I had the game also, I just never bothered to change it.  It does look horrid though. Getting 90 FPS on my side

Haha, Libash is Mayor again and I see she is mandating drums  :o

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2011, 10:24:15 am »

I was using the Lazy Newb Pack as my entry UI and was running with the Phoebus graphics pack. If that helps.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:00 am »

Did I mention there was no well when I got the fort? Endless spam about no water.

??? I channeled out an area from the cavern's lake specifically so that someone else could run a well down. Only reason I didn't do it myself is because I didn't have tiiiime.
So I died... because I didn't have the time to mine out a well area in the clean water area I channeled, and build the damned thing. Oh, sweet, sweet irony.
Truly, this is dwarf fortress.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2011, 02:06:25 am »

Did I mention there was no well when I got the fort? Endless spam about no water.

??? I channeled out an area from the cavern's lake specifically so that someone else could run a well down. Only reason I didn't do it myself is because I didn't have tiiiime.
So I died... because I didn't have the time to mine out a well area in the clean water area I channeled, and build the damned thing. Oh, sweet, sweet irony.
Truly, this is dwarf fortress.

It was actually Wypie that died like that. My bad.  I did build the well, but it was to late. this is how you died.

`Urist Curdledbread' Alathuvar has become a captain of the guard.

then a couple of lines later...

“The Overseer punches The Previous Overseer in the head with his left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The Previous Overseer has been knocked unconscious!
`Theif' Onshenbomrek, Previous Overseer has been struck down.”

So you didn’t die in the cave in after all.

Some stats. 3407 lines of dwarfs beating each other up in the log. looks like 30-40 dwarfs killed each other before ->

37 dwarfs was crushed under a collapsing ceiling…  The only named dwarfs that was part of that was Ruskmik and Enigma.  Wypie was starved to death and the rest was killed by dwarfs.

As lastofthelight stated the cave in trap didn’t work when he tried it, and thankfully it didn’t. The trap failed because one tile was not dug out before the lever was pulled.

So every body assembles under the ice and guess who goes to dig out the last tile, none other than `Caster Bon' Ushilkel.

Technically Caster died by colliding with an obstacle, he was standing on the roof when it gave in.  Probably laughing and crying at the same time, possibly foaming around the mouth, hacking at the ice..

Should have taken note of who did before.

Maybe The Master would like to come do an entry on what was going through Caster’s head at the time

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2011, 04:44:09 pm »

Maybe The Master would like to come do an entry on what was going through Caster’s head at the time
Hehehe...DON'T MIND IF I DO!

Buried under a pile of ice, snow, and pus, is a corpse. On that corpse is a journal, which reads:

I AM HAPPY!!!! So...happy...*Tear stains* NOW 'IM SAD AGAIN!!! NOW I'M MAD!!!! WHEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!!!!! I AM A COCONUT AND I- YAY! I GET TO DIG A HOLE!!!!!!!!! I'M HAPPY AGAIN!!! ...now i'm S-no wait i'm ma- I'M HAPPY! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *The rest of the page appears to have been set on fire, dunked in beer, frozen, eaten, then thrown up. ALL AT ONCE*
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2011, 08:21:43 pm »

Oh, goodness. I think I started a running gag with journals missing the end of the page.
I'm overly pleased by this.
Taken from the journal of "Z", Fortress Reclaimer
10th of Obsidian: Me and the boys just got back home after finishing up another rough reclaim.
I swear, the number of times I've seen a tantrum spiral destroy everything...
Anyway, as I'm taking off my pack and heading down to the food stockpile for a good meal and a stiff dozen drinks, some Armok damned messenger runs up with news of another dead fortress. I tell him I'll gather the lads and head out again soon enough, if that's what Armok plans for me, and that was that.

12th of Obsidian: Apparently the message was from much higher up then I thought, and as much as I'm willing to go up against the nobles for my freedom, I prefer my skull unhammered. I've let everyone know we're on the move again, and anyone who values life and freedom should get ready to head out again ASAP.

15th of Obsidian: Loath as I am to admit it, it's nice to be away from the oppressive structure of the Mountainhomes. I looked over the plans for the fortress we're to reclaim after we loaded up the cart. It's a hole in an ice sheet, Armok damn them for unreasonable. Still, it can't be that bad compared to some. Our supplies are plentiful, our arms strong, and our beards thick.

17th of Obsidian: We lost the cart and pack animals yesterday. The axles both snapped at once, and they proved themselves irreparable. We've shouldered what we can, and gathered the pack animals. Hopefully, this will be enough.

22nd of Obsidian: We've reached the fringes of the ice shelf. Night creatures attacked several times, and we lost several good dwarfs, and far too many supplies, in the ensuing chaos.
Those of us that survived have traveled as quickly as we could, resting little. We've suffered for it, though, and we've been forced to eat the beasts of burden for sustenance, which isn't so bad. One of our fellow reclaimers once told me a tale in which he had no recourse but to eat his minstrels to sustain himself. Thank Armok's bloody beard for that small mercy, at least. I'd have gone berserk long since if I'd had to put up with minstrels as well.

25th of Obsidian: After trekking through this frozen wasteland for the last few days, I arrived. At first, I couldn't be sure, as it rose above a gash in the ice like a lump of frozen rock. However, as I neared, the icy winds calmed, revealing sheer, perfectly carved walls of ice overlooking a deep chasm, apparently a moat of sorts, clear signs of dwarf workings. When I drew close, the drawbridge lowered, ponderously clanking down, and though the icy construction is beautiful to behold, the fact that this is supposedly an empty fortress is more then alittle disconcerting. As well, the fact that I recently lost the last of my companions to frostbite, though he wrapped himself well within his beard, has left me miserable and disconsolate.

28th of Obsidian: The fortress itself is labyrinthine and difficult to traverse. At times it seems to be carved into the shape of some eldritch geometry of sorts, one which hurts to think upon overlong. Indeed, the second thing I stumbled upon were graves. Row upon row of them, lining the walls. Each had an unfortunate inhabitant, and I believed many more should lie alone and forgotten. Imagine my surprise when, instead of bloodsoaked walls and corpse strewn halls, I found a small but determined group of dwarfs struggling to survive. When questioned on their lack of regular contact with the mountainhomes, they shrugged and returned to a seemingly endless sea of tasks to complete

1st of Granite: I've decided to stay and aid in the restoration of this fortress, acting as overseer, as this is not so dissimilar to my previous (and now pointless) directive. Whether it was due to my decision, or some external source, Nil Stakudthack organized a party at one of the many tables. It seems an empty and hollow gesture, but one which lifted the spirits of everyone present.

2nd of Granite: I've finally managed to understand much of the design of this fortress, and I've learned that we lack many things, including: space for food, a reliable source of lumber, offices and other private areas for our "noble" leaders, and a designated mining space to carve out. There's plenty of loose animals as well, and several goblins in cages. I'm not sure what to do with the goblins, but the animals have been marked for slaughter, for the most part. I've checked the water source, and I realise that, though one of the previous overseers was insightful in channeling out an area from the deep cavern to bring us a secure source of water, the lack of a well was more trouble then it was worth. I'll have one dug out soon enough. I was grateful, however, for one thing. We have reliable magma furnaces, burning deep beneath the ground. Not only does this supply an endless energy source for those crafts that require open flame, but it heats the fortress from within, reducing the sharp bite of the cold from above.

10th of Granite: Two of the stray ewes have given birth, and I've adjusted the list of animals to be slaughtered to compensate. Several constructions were also cancelled today, though I've no idea why.
I also recently discovered the mass grave just north east of the fortress. It seems to have been the center of a large cave in, though I have no idea why so many dwarfs were present in the room when so many tons of ice crashed downward. I worry about hauntings, and will try to have a hallway dug to them when the miners get some free time, so as to better be able to put them at peace.

11th of Granite: It's been a constant issue, and unfortunately, I've no idea how to address it. Many of the others have complained of being unable to store their owned items. A constant stream of complaints and requests for aid have come from the others, and it bothers me no end.

19th of Granite: work has continued, slowly. Several of the dwarfs here are afflicted with serious wounds, and I've put the most seriously injured on permanent break, until his wounds recover even slightly. If he hasn't shown signs of improvement by the time summer arrives, I'll disregard his complaints of his wounds. In unrelated news, Goden Dumatshigos has become a Miner, which is good. Another skilled set of hands carving away the rubble can only speed the improvement of the fortress, and hopefully, draw more migrants, which we desperately need.

27th of Granite: Armok damn them for digging so slowly. One of the unburied dwarfs, I'm not sure where his corpse lies, has become a ghost. Edem Edulmafol, the ghostly wrestler, proceeded to topple a Microcline Throne. Non-vital, to be sure, but it's none too pleasant to see, and I wish those of us that are still alive to remain unbothered by such disturbing sights.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2011, 12:37:41 am »

See? This is what happens when you don't eat the goblins. They use their mind-control powers on the lesser dwarves, causing the tantrum spirals. Good thing I'm wearing my trusty tinfoil mind-control deflector hat 9000. OOH, A RAT! EAT! :P
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2011, 12:52:17 am »

In for a round!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2011, 08:00:24 am »

Current Turn List

Enigma
Theifofdreams
charred_gp
lastofthelight
accoro
Pisano
Cousen
Varnifane
Coolnesstod

Theifofdreams (2)
Enigma (2)
Naril the Wretched
Cousen (2)
Jack A T
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13