Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)  (Read 12601 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cudgelpriests - Glacier Succession Fortress! (Year 4, need more overseers!)
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2011, 10:07:20 am »

I'll start in 13 hours and power through my turn.

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Naril the Wretched

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Oh, You'd Like to Know, wouldn't you?!
    • View Profile
Notification of leadership request form 122a
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2011, 10:36:03 am »

I'd love a turn. I promise I'll be a brutal and ruthless tyrant err...Benevolent leader.  ;) pinky swear.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2011, 11:25:58 am »

Naril, you're added. Current list

Enigma
Theifofdreams
charred_gp
lastofthelight
accoro
Pisano
Cousen

Varnifane
Coolnesstod
Theifofdreams (2)
Enigma (2)
Naril the Wretched

Hmm, Varifane could you get us some images of what the place looks like now, it sounds pretty bad from Cousen's report... could this be the end of Cudgelpriests?! Hopefully not I want to take another turn :P
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2011, 12:09:18 pm »

Will do.

From what I saw last before the last turn I have been considering rebuilding the entire fort about 40 levels deeper.

It'll depend on how many picks I have (or can make quickly) as I also want to:
  • dig out 4000 squares of tree farm
  • get a proper metal industry up and going
  • get a danger room up and working
  • train two squads of legendary hammerers (even if they have crappy or no armor).

It's doable in a year with 80+ dwarves. But I have yet to look at the current save as I am currently at work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon looking at the fort I am planning out the next year, and what can be done  to ensure our survival with the remaining 19 dwarves...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:25:16 pm by Varnifane »
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

Located in the middle of a vast arctic wasteland is a bastion of hope...

and life...

Welcome to Cudgelpreists!

This gem...

in the crown...

of the dwarven empire.

Known for her hard working dwarves...

her industry...

and splendour...

CUDGELPREISTS!

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2011, 07:32:23 pm »

Nicely done, for the update.
Show the stock page, though? I'm curious about supplies.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:27 pm »

I want a dwarf, but I don't want a turn.

Name: Urist McHuman.
Skills: Expert Marksdwarf, Expert Archer, Novice Wood-crafter, Novice Bone Carver, Novice Herbalist.
Profession: Survivalist.
Bio: No family, ran away from the Mountainhomes. Lived in an elven retreat till adulthood, and ran away. Lived off the land. Stumbled upon a small human hamlet, and lived there until age 38, and town was slaughtered by an enemy civ. Lived off the land once more. He ran away from home and left hi mother and his dad. He knew it grieved them so to think their only boy was bad. He fell in with an outlaw band. Their names were known quite well. How many times they've robbed and plundered, he could never tell. This kind of sinful livin' led only to a fault. He learned that much and more the night he heard his master this fortress call.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »

I can't imagine what happened to this fort. I mean, we had no cats, and the site has NO METAL (aside from lead), but there was minimal unhappiness, and no real problems.

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2011, 08:27:44 pm »

i think things are good now in the fort, you know, if you ignore the walled in caravan gaurd next to the baracks. the mass pit grave up top, one or to insane dwarfs and the kinslayer... it's basically just like a reclaim only still the same game.

I can't imagine what happened to this fort. I mean, we had no cats, and the site has NO METAL (aside from lead), but there was minimal unhappiness, and no real problems.

FUN and lots of it.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2011, 11:45:57 pm »

I got through 1 Felsite and will post an update in a couple hours.

And I will make sure to give an update on the supplies, however the numbers are deceiving because of so much that is strewn across the ice, safely forbidden and forgotten.

It took me almost 90 minutes with the game on pause to make sure:
  • I had forbidden designated dump on all of the stuff I felt we needed to survive and forbidding the rest
  • I had undesignated all of the stockpiles except food
  • I had all of the dwarves stripped of ancillary jobs
So that I could expose them to as little ambush opportunity as possible.

Never have  I dreaded unpausing the game before now. Succession games rock.

What are your opinions on me moving the whole fort deeper into the earth?

I can still maintain the *cough* exquisite *cough* aesthetic *cough* architectural *cough* design.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:57:39 pm by Varnifane »

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2011, 01:01:54 am »

Wow... that's... that's a lot of dead dwarves. We really screwed the pooch this time around. I hope you're happy, your majesty...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2011, 02:10:09 am »

Dumat woke up in her creaky acacia wood bed, a granite cabinet looming over her and a granite door at her feet. There was microline rubble strewn on the floor, Armok-awful stuff whose color made her eye want to bleed. And though the ceiling, floor and walls were the color of 12 day old sheep’s brains it wasn’t the microline all around that gave her her splitting headache. “Drink!” she called out. “Drink.” Called the echoes back.

Of course it wasn’t her room. If it was her room she’d have her own booze stockpile stacked with barrels of whip wine. But, she came to this “fortress” as peasant help; which meant she didn’t get assigned a room, she just copped a squat anywhere she could. While it stung a little to be in an outpost with 80 bedrooms and not warrant her own, the upside was that people didn’t know where to find her when there was work to be done.

She rolled out of bed, kicked open the door and started, bleary eyed down the hall. “Ghah, this place stinks worse than usual.” she said as she brushed past someone in the hallway. No response. “Anyone give the mayor a magma bath yet?” she turned around and asked. But again she got no answer. “What’s your problem? Too good to talk?” she spit out as she slogged back up the hallway towards her silent outpost-mate. Getting right up in his face she inhaled about to yell and fell back onto the ground, the other dwarf toppling over on top of her. Whoever it was had a hammer lodged in the side of his skull.

Her head immediately cleared and then she saw them, and their blood and all the fucking microline.
She grabbed the hammer as she rolled out from underneath…well… whoever it was, and was on her feet in an instant. She had no training but she was a dwarf and as she strode down the hallway she kicked open doors to the rooms she passed to ensure no one would surprise her from behind. As she got to the center of the pin-wheel of pause, as she liked to call it, she could see some activity in the dining hall and headed that way. What she saw when she got there, was 16 dwarves, covered in blood and the stuff that comes out of spleens when you squeeze them too hard. They sat there, still, with lifeless looks in their eyes.

What she was able to piece together was that goblins had attacked killing a handful of dwarves and then dwarven grief took over resulting in the loss of another 50 or so lives. Her great uncle was right. The most devastating force on earth was a miserable dwarf. He always said it was why Armok gave us booze. She smiled but at the thought of booze her headache reasserted itself.

Her quest for rum took her topside into the blistering cold winds of spring her breath frosting her tangled beard. Bereft of leadership the other dwarves had followed her up and as she surveyed the carnage she called out, “Grab anything of value”. The dwarves shuffled off through snow. Monez, the mayor, stooped to pick up a sock and Dumat tapped him on the shoulder with her hammer and called out again, “Grab anything of value. Leave the socks.” The she went to work helping the rest of the dwarves decide what was of value.

They made quick work of it, and thankfully more goblins hadn’t arrived. They had gathered everything  she had designated just inside the main draw bridge and she ordered it brought up. Some jack-tard asked about merchants and migrants. “When the time comes we’ll pick over their corpses too.” She answered as she strode inside with a hammer in one hand; a barrel of rum in the other.

Back in her room she tore the top off the barrel and immersed her head. Six minutes later as she lay on her bed, and it was her bed dammit, she remembered her most precious possession. Standing up, she locked the door and then pushed the cabinet almost to the back of the room. She gingerly tilted the mass of granite until it was leaning against the wall and removed a package from the false bottom.

From a tattered spider silk sack she removed a small leather bound book with one word in large red letters written across the front, “Panic!”

She flopped back down on the bed and started paging through her uncle’s journal. It recounted decades of his exploits as a fortress consultant for the rich and famous which had come to her after he had passed.  A note scrawled inside the front cover:

To Dumat,
My favorite neice.
Urist McWiki

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2011, 02:40:38 am »

17th Slate

Whoever the last overseer was was either a genius or a mad man. From 80 to 18 dwarves in one year. Genius? Mad man? And then he made me the overseer. Genius? Mad man?

Been too busy to write in the journal up til now. But this will catch you up on what has happened so far.
  • Picked over the dead and forbade the rest.
  • Moved it all inside.
  • Pulled up the drawbridge.
  • Built a roof over our topside defenses.
  • Walled off the ramps.

20th Slate

The ghost of someone that died for a sock was haunting me so I had all of the dwarf parts put in coffins. I hope that ends the hauntings. If not, I'll look into training my pet ghost to fetch me rum.

27th Slate

Finished planting the dwarf parts. Someone has been whining that we need to give certain dwarves better spots than others. I had him stuffed into a number of the empty coffins until he admitted that they were equally comfortable and that the dead ponces that killed each other because they got their butt-holes hurt. I hear there is a cask of Amontillado down here somewhere.

We got migrants. Goody. Seven of them. Including a fisherdwarf. Had to leave the drawbridge open for 4 days for that old pile cat offal to find his way from boundary marker to the bridge. He's going to love his new life working a smelter.

1st Felsite

Oh, and here's what we have for stores.

Will add pic later...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 02:43:09 am by Varnifane »

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2011, 04:40:59 am »

Libash stands with her ear pressed to a wall, a crooked smile on her face.  Faint moans and shuffling can be heard from the other side.
“My pet hammer dwarf, yessss”.   The words seems to ooze from her mouth, speaking with a slight lisp.  Dribble running down her chin.  Grabbing a roach from the wall stuffing it into her mouth, a thought occurs.  The roof must be opened up above the hammer dwarf, with a tables and chairs to line the pit, the new dining hall, and then occasionally drop in a goblin for entertainment.   But we will need to start up the magma works again, and build some lead cages for that.
She gives a giggle, followed by cackling laughter as she runs down the halls.  Off to find Dumat, to influence him in building her new design.  All the while beating her little drum.  She refuses to let go of it and the sounds from it constantly echoes around the halls... rat-a-tat-tat.....rat-a-tat-tat

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »

14th Felsite

A group of elven merchants arrived. I would have left them out in the cold except for the prospect of trading for some logs. We lowered the draw bridge for them and seeing the carnage of our lands they made a hasty entrance. They unpacked their goods and I had what little trade stuff we had made available to them. The first thing I noticed was that they had nothing I wanted. The second thing I noticed was that they were turning their noses up at what we had to offer. The time came for them to leave and I made sure we were all too busy to open the gate for them.

And we were busy. We had three smelters busy smelting galena for the silver content. We made a number of silver hammers (for fighting) and silver axes (for trade). Our armorsmith (I can't remember his name) might make good armor, but his (or her) talents don't extend to weapon smithing. I also ordered up a half dozen more training spears to put the finishing touches on our training room. I saw something that looked like someone had attempted to set up a training room, but rather than trying to fix it I just tore it down to reuse the parts elsewhere.

I dismissed the guard squad because the mayor is screaming for copper items and I didn't want some over zealous guard monkey locking up the armorsmith because we don't have any copper, or at least not enough to sate the mayor's perverse hunger for the stuff. I formed a small squad of hammer dwarves under my leadership and once the training room was done we set about training.

1st Hematite

Wow, the training room has worked wonders. I feel lighter on my feet and am developing a fighter's reflexes. However the training room is so simple I can't believe it is accomplishing anything more than releasing something that was already present in our blood.

What I wouldn't give for some decent miners. We have picks now and I have a squad of five miners digging out a medium sized room and they have been at it for more than a week now. I hope we get a couple of accomplished miners in the next wave of migrants.

As an aside, I have taken something of a military approach to managing our remaining drawves. I've placed them in work groups (squads) and have taken to calling them by their squad name. For instance if I see a miner resting I'll call out, "001 get back to work." Some of the dwarves initially chaffed at this, but after 003 (the engraver) started whining about how he had been told he would only be asked to smooth and engrave, and that he wouldn't do anything else, I designated an area right next to the boundary marker for him to smooth. He (or she) asked about getting a guard detail because of the goblins. I told him to grab a weapon from one of the goblin corpses if he wanted protection. He's been hauling stuff without complaint ever since, and other than some short-beard grousing about wanting to be a marksdwarf I've had no problem since.

18th Hematite

Our miners have struck Malachite. Oh praise Armok.

19th Hematite

Our miners have struck Tetrahedrite. Armok smiles on us.

The elves look to be about done with being here so I let them out and they stumbled on a goblin ambush laying in wait.

Goblins are more intelligent than I originally thought as they were hiding behind a large pile of socks.

Okay. So maybe I knew they were out there before releasing the elves...

The elves ran back into the fort with the goblins in tow. The goblins got caught up in some cage traps I had prepared as shoddy additions to our defenses. We captured all but one of the gobbos, who ran away. I expect it's not the last we've seen of that one. But what happened next was astounding. The elf merchants and all of their animals went berserk, started screaming something in elven and drawing their wooden swords ran towards the fortress, and into some waiting cage traps.

We now have two elves in cages for entertainment.

Sometime in late summer

We didn’t get any migrants, but a group of human merchants showed up. They often carry iron, so I stationed our hammer dwarves topside behind our cage traps and opened the draw bridge. The Humans were almost completely inside when we received two waves of goblin ambushers. Ushrir Ushrirkosh (who as earned back his name) charged a mass of goblin pikes and layed them all low

Though he took a halberd in the leg among other minor injuries. As he was catching his breath the second group of ambushers made themselves known, and while I saw them before he did I couldn’t get there in time and he fell. Then the goblins, knowing they could not get past the rest of us, ran away.

There are only three of us hammerdwarves left. I will train up a squad of axe dwarves this autumn.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:15:40 am by Varnifane »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13