Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: constant deadly syndrome steam-- from inside a cage  (Read 4047 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
constant deadly syndrome steam-- from inside a cage
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:55:38 am »

A towering crocodile with lidless eyes.  It has a pair of knobby antennae and it is ravening.  Its aqua scales are jagged and close-set.  Beware its noxious secretions!

Those secretions are the interesting part.  They boil immediately.  I've got the thing in a cage, but it still keeps laying down deadly boiling secretions-- that boil out of the cage.  First they make you sluggish, then you get blisters everywhere, so you can't see, can't walk, can't grasp, then you suffocate.  The whole process takes a little too long to be meaningful during a siege, but it's rapid enough to kill off the fort.

So basically I have this deadly cage.  My dwarves can only make it about ten steps carrying the cage before giving up to go die someplace more pleasant (remember, it's an awfully heavy cage).  I suppose I'm only about ten steps from the surface, if I dug a direct path.

What should I do with my deadly cage?  Should I kill some dwarves to get it placed someplace pleasant?  Should I wall it in, too dangerous to touch?  Should I sac a mechanic so I can recoup some small framerate?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: constant deadly syndrome steam-- from inside a cage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:02:57 am »

Magma will surely fix it, but if Magma isn't easily available...

1) Build a support next to the cage.

2) Link support to lever far from cage.

3) Cut away the edges of the ceiling above the cage and the lever.

4) Build temporary walls to prevent dwarves from getting under the ceiling near the cage.

5) Pull lever.  See if any remnants of beast goo remain on anything in the area, and if so sacrifice dwarves necessary to get rid of it, they should move a lot faster if they are just carrying a rock.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:05:39 am »

Stick it in a room that enemies are routed through during sieges.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:14:01 am »

^^ this.

Trap hallway just got way more awesome.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:24:10 am »

That would be a good addition to an arena.  You could also use it to convert surplus migrants or children into doctor experience and ghosts. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:01:28 am »

Don't destroy it! Use it on invaders somehow, maybe drop them into a pit containing the cage. Because AFAIK no other fort has ever had something like this.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:11:49 am »

Of course I want to weaponize it--

But I don't want to lose dwarves.  I've been playing this particular fortress by trying not to lose anybody (ha!).

So if I weaponize it, what's the best way to do it?  Remember, anything that walks by will die.  Well, anything not invulnerable to syndromes.  Maybe things that don't need to breathe are safe.  Nothing protects.  The creature can't be destroyed.

I could just have it on a trap passage, open it up for siege.  That seems kind of boring....  Plus, I have no doubt my military will chase invaders through, and get killed by the boiling secretions.

Even moving it is going to cost me at least two dwarves, maybe more.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 05:27:22 am »

4) Build temporary walls to prevent dwarves from getting under the ceiling near the cage.

5) Pull lever.  See if any remnants of beast goo remain on anything in the area, and if so sacrifice dwarves necessary to get rid of it, they should move a lot faster if they are just carrying a rock.

Except he clearly asked for opinion on a dwarven method of doing things, not elfish pansery.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:33:30 am »

If you make it into a trap, it'll be worth it.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:42:32 am »

Make it into an execution gas chamber. You said it takes too long to kick in for a siege, so don't rely on it during siege time. Build lots of cage traps and once the siege is over, shove the prisoners into the gas chamber. Uh... you may want to find some way to clear teh corpses so you don't end up with endless miasma killing fps. Is that cage magma-proof?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 06:37:00 am »

Except he clearly asked for opinion on a dwarven method of doing things, not elfish pansery.

o.0  Since when was dropping a cavern on something elvish pansery :)

I do agree that weaponizing it would be *more* dwarfy, but with that particular FB, I'd just kill it.  Too much trouble to keep it alive without risking losing useful dwarves.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 06:47:02 am »

o.0  Since when was dropping a cavern on something elvish pansery :)

I do agree that weaponizing it would be *more* dwarfy, but with that particular FB, I'd just kill it.  Too much trouble to keep it alive without risking losing useful dwarves.
This is the elf part.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:19:35 am »

Make it into an execution gas chamber. You said it takes too long to kick in for a siege, so don't rely on it during siege time. Build lots of cage traps and once the siege is over, shove the prisoners into the gas chamber. Uh... you may want to find some way to clear teh corpses so you don't end up with endless miasma killing fps. Is that cage magma-proof?

This. I've never seen a FB like this before, it is too interesting to kill. Use the dwarves with the least friends and skills to do the moving job. Build the chamber with a retracting bridge floor, so you can retrieve the corpses by dropping them far below.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:29:17 am »

why must you move the cage? just dig all around were it's left, place stairs which lead to the surface from there, and then wall everything in aroudn the cage, remember to leave a "door" so enemies will path through it. (make the door really far, and BEFORE it, place a couple floodgates, so building destroyers will destroy those andn ot the door.
Then wait for enemies to path through that opening into a gassy chamber of doom.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 09:43:41 am »

This. You have the perfect component for a gas chamber. This is a ☼blessed gift☼ from the RNG and should be put to use at once.

First they make you sluggish, then you get blisters everywhere, so you can't see, can't walk, can't grasp, then you suffocate

Horrible death doesn't come much better than that. Mind you, I once had a syndrome that caused blisters, pain and dizziness. Dwarfs starved to death/ died of thirst because all the could do was fall over, get up, path one step in a random direction and repeat. It looked like a goddamn breakdancing contest in my legendary dinning room, except with more vomit, blood and rotting child corpses than usual. Oh, and if your worried about your dwarfs being killed while moving the thing, a water covering prevents syndromes from sticking to a body part as a contaminant. So if you build a ditch with 2/7 or 3/7 water in a place that Urist Mc Biowar Technician will have to walk through just before they move the cage they should be fine. NOTE: Water covering only prevents contaminants sticking in a dwarf's inventory, they may receive some temporary syndrome effects. Better make that two decon ditches.   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.
Pages: [1] 2 3