Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie looking for help  (Read 1199 times)

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie looking for help
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:54:57 am »

Hi all, i discovered this world something like 2 days ago, and now i am quite overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge needed to play :/

For a starting note: i am using osx, and i really get confused with all the ascii art on the screen. is there a way to change the tileset on the mac? if yes, could you please link me to a tutorial, or something similar that could help me in this way?

second question:
i found some video tutorials on youtube, and i found literally a mine of informations on these forums/wiki, BUT..
since i am starting from totally scratch, i am really,really,really confused on how/what should i start learning, then:
could you please advice me on what topics should i skip to be able to play the game decently,but without needing to pass 12 h/day learning things? ( i work,so i almost don't have neither 1,2 h/day :/ )

i thank you in advance.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie looking for help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:04:51 am »

Not sure about the first question, but as for the second one: I never used any video tutorials myself. Use the Dwarf Fortress Wiki to get started and search for help whenever you need a topic that you'd like more info about.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:29:48 am »

Here's a tip: If you see a cyan £, don't mine it unless you have lots of well trained, well armed military squads.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 05:11:26 am »

This is still the best short tutorial to jump right into DF.
You can use the wiki as a reference, when needed, and you'll be able to make the most of your time in game, rather than outside of it.

Note that there are a few incorrect statements in this tutorial, since this was written before the current version.
Skimming over the tutorial, the most outstanding one is that [Esc] is used to exit screens, not [Space]. Also, take Part 5 with a grain of salt, specifically when he mentions the soldiering and hunting menu, since this has been replaced with an overhaul of the military.

I'm sure others might be able to nitpick some specifics, but it's really solid information for anyone wanting to get started right away, without the need to graduate from any Kubrick Dwarf Odyssey tutorials.
Just cross reference things using the wiki and you should be able to take it from there.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 05:45:40 am »

I learned to play dwarf fortress following this tutorial.

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

I imagine it's quite outdated by now, but take a look see if it helps. :)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:06:36 am »

Can't help on osx, sorry.

The second bit I can help, maybe;

First, play with the controls and love their oddness. (Getting around is easy, but F1-F8 and shift-F1-F8 are helpful. "U"nit screen is a friend. I say that because if something goes wonky and you cannot find it, umm fun)

More first, if something you read anywhere seems like it might hurt, it will hurt. That should not stop you, but still, it'll hurt. You will learn the best, but it'll hurt.

Now, that aside, start small. Expect losses. The wiki tut is good - and is text so pausing isn't needed. But it is also overly complex. So is the game. You signed up for this willingly, I think.

Focus at first getting into the rock. Make a nice hidey hole. Make a meeting hall and stockpile to get everyone in that comfortable rock. Then, think of things you need. (Beds, tables & chairs, ale, beer, wine, etc.) Dig out a spot for each workshop you think you need, a few stockpiles, a common bedroom (dormitory), a meeting hall. Then dig out 5 more spaces, because you have forgotten 7 things, at least.

My first 5 regions were done with the wiki-guide and it is far too linear for this game. I can tell you that I expected nothing from those forts and got all I needed to "start" the game. As things happened, I'd remember having read it and was "Just about to do that you fucking shit!". Expect similar. (Urist McThirsty died of thirst - now we look up brewing. As a side note, we look up wells and water source. We think we've got it.)

Do not let any latent inner-architect surface just yet. S/he is an evil sot that will get you killed, and that is for later. Also, any OCDness probably needs to take a vacation for a few days, because that one will kill you faster than you can say... "Accept that stone will be everywhere."

Get comfy in some of that. Then a siege will come. That is okay. You will hate it well. You will then know what worked, and wish to look up the military. I suggest not doing so, and just try again. I say this for a reason - the military screen and manipulation thereof is almost another game, but if nothing else is clearly a different animal. You WILL need it, but not so early in the learning curve, IMHO. (Unless losing is bad, then by all means. You are playing the wrong game, but by all means. *grins*)

If you are into trading, get a depot built. Make rock crafts/mugs/instruments beforehand, (Craftsdwarfs workshop, b-w-r,) and trade away. Appoint a broker for this beforehand - it is mentioned in the wiki-guide, so no instructions coming. [I'll offer this, though - Set a burrow on the damn thing and when you see the message that a caravan arrives, set yer broker to go there. w-<select the burrow>-c-<select broker>. And you will forget, but remove said broker after you are done.]

Focus here, in a bit of an order:
Stockpile - Refuse (This topic should be looked at a bit for now. It get's repeated below for good reason.)
Still - still - still
Farm (may lead to Irrigation, below)
Pasture
Mason
Carpenter
Butcher? Fisher? Hunter? (Turn fisher/hunter off, they'll likely piss you off.)
Mechanic - you will use mechanisms. It doesn't seem to be an option, you'll just use them at some time.
Gem cutter is semi-useful, in that gems is nice to trade or encrust things with. But I find them bothersome. YMMV.
Defense - Military
Stockpiles (Managing them is an art, almost.)
Mandate - mayor

Ignore for now:
Irrigation (questionable, but better for fort #10, not #1, unless Farm above leads you to here, which it may.)
Well
Metal Industry
Nobles
Hospital
Cloth industry
pump-stack
mega project
glass - sand collection
lye - soap
Magma
HFS - cotton candy (Do not look these up for now for the love of Armok!) [I'd spoiler it, but that'd stand out.]

You can make a fine life with just some animals and pasture and butcher, a small farm and still, 47 thousand rocks laying about, (see note on OCD,) and a mason, craftsdwarfs shop, and mechanics shop. With a trade depot. Then a barracks.

You can then even close your front door to play with digging. That leads to bad thoughts for most of us, so just do what is right;
Write about all of your trials, tribulations, triumphs and tears. Embrace "Losing is fun."

Bah, I've got to blow up a computer. The post may need work.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:25:14 am »

When I started playing I followed this quickstart guide on the wiki, while playing the game.
When I wanted to know more about a certain aspect of the game I searched for it on the wiki as well.

And yes.. I was overwhelmed too, at first. You'll simply need to invest some time into playing DF before that feeling will go away.

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:06:36 am »

Thank you very much for all your replies.
I have started from a tutorial found in the wiki ,and i must say it is a good source for a newbie like me.
The main problem for the moment is that DF remembers me of Ultima Online (my absolute favourite game, a mile above the second classified), and its "wideness" and freedom is so big that i wouldn't expect to have the chance to look for certain aspects: i mean: who could imagine that i can irrigate fields or doing another thousand things without whom i will probably lead my colony to certain doom.

Atm i love it, my main concern for the moment is a way to change the tileset, while learning doing the tutorial.

Is there a chat or something where i can ask questions?

thank you again

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »

There's a thread dedicated to little questions in the Gameplay questions subforum.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:02:52 pm »

I started learning by treating boatmurdered as a tutorial, then after a few days I switched to the complete and utter newbie guide, above.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 12:57:53 pm »

Is there a chat or something where i can ask questions?

there is a #bay12games irc channel on NewNet.