Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: POV: A Goblin Seige (story)  (Read 3407 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
POV: A Goblin Seige (story)
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:47:30 am »

This was something I'd been inspired to type up while playing DF, in particular my first ever fortress. To be honest, I've started off with .23a version for the sake of a simpler game. Please don't throw things at me for that. *hides*

In any case, my first ever goblin siege ended startlingly well for my ever-incompetent dwarves, though it started with some very bad aim on the part of my novice Siege Operator's first ever actual siege. And involved some interesting behavior on the part of my invaders than anyone should give the poor AI credit for.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do wish I had remembered to check the name on that one injured goblin that managed to get away with his surviving unharmed pals, given having a name for this guy would've helped make it seem less confusing.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: POV: A Goblin Seige (story)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:31:32 pm »

Very interesting!  I like the goblin point of view!  Good work!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »

Very interesting!  I like the goblin point of view!  Good work!

Thank you. I must admit I've been having a lot of writer's block as of late with some other (unrelated to DF) things I'd been working on, guess it's good to be doing SOMETHING with writing.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:47:49 am »

I hate bumping threads, but just hoping to get some additional opinions on this story.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Nolemocius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:00 pm »

An interesting effort here. IMHO it could be sharper if told in more "goblin" speech instead of pompous and artistic writing. Y'know, it's highly unlikable even for a d0rf veteran fighter to express his impressions like this, let alone a greenskin with a jagged bronze spear.
Say, something like:
"We went round the river, then went to tha doors in the rock - and sudnly a BIG stone flew outta the mountain! It hit in the river, 'twas a loud boom, an' we were glad no'un of us was where it falled!"

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:40:41 pm »

An interesting effort here. IMHO it could be sharper if told in more "goblin" speech instead of pompous and artistic writing. Y'know, it's highly unlikable even for a d0rf veteran fighter to express his impressions like this, let alone a greenskin with a jagged bronze spear.
Say, something like:
"We went round the river, then went to tha doors in the rock - and sudnly a BIG stone flew outta the mountain! It hit in the river, 'twas a loud boom, an' we were glad no'un of us was where it falled!"

Goblins are not always stupid barbarians in fantasy ,iirc Goblins are the machinist of the watcraft universe.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:15 pm »

Say, something like:

As the poster after you said, I ended up taking a different view of them. Viewing them as more like...well, just hateful of every other kind of species they aren't allied with, even if they are the most diverse faction compared to elves or dwarves. Likely was inspired by other more "interesting" depictions of goblins I guess. Tend to view kobolds as the more primitive-seeming ones in fact.

EDIT: Revised my post because I realized it implied the guy that posted after you would be agreeing with my interpetation, when I meant that I was agreeing with his statement that there are different interpetations.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:44:38 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:58:11 pm »

Hey, I like it! :D
I just wish it was possible for, one day, that one-eared goblin, scarred physically and mentally by the experience and burning with hatred even moreso than his kin, to rise to be general of a massive army, leading a huge force of trolls, cave crocodiles and goblins back to seek revenge...
Sounds like sequel-material. :P Good job!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:44:31 pm »

Hey, I like it! :D
I just wish it was possible for, one day, that one-eared goblin, scarred physically and mentally by the experience and burning with hatred even moreso than his kin, to rise to be general of a massive army, leading a huge force of trolls, cave crocodiles and goblins back to seek revenge...
Sounds like sequel-material. :P Good job!

Yes, I would love that in fact. Though not recalling the goblin's name, I doubt I'd recall him even if he made a return. And given that my fort is currently working on sealing the outside away for good (and optionally, creating a "flood the outside with magma" device), such a seige wouldn't be as fun (or Fun) as my first ever.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 03:05:47 am »

Have you ever heard of the book, "The Last Ringbearer"?  It's the Lord of the Rings told from the point of view of the orcs of Mordor.  In the story, Gandalf was a warlord and Aragorn was a dictator, whilst the "ugly" and "vicious" orcs were actually normal looking people, twisted and demonized by the propaganda of the enemy.  Obviously, the "last ringbearer" in question was Sauron.  The lesson of this book was that, the winners of war write the history books.  I like this noble, civilized take on the goblins, much more refreshing than the usual, "Angry stupid gob" sort of thing.  Show their softer side, and we'll root for them and not for the dwarves. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:07:51 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:26:37 am »

I've always liked goblins, and enjoyed reading your story. It makes me want to go write something right now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:53:47 pm by Urist Mcinternetuser »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 06:10:06 am »

Have you ever heard of the book, "The Last Ringbearer"?  It's the Lord of the Rings told from the point of view of the orcs of Mordor.  In the story, Gandalf was a warlord and Aragorn was a dictator, whilst the "ugly" and "vicious" orcs were actually normal looking people, twisted and demonized by the propaganda of the enemy.  Obviously, the "last ringbearer" in question was Sauron.  The lesson of this book was that, the winners of war write the history books.  I like this noble, civilized take on the goblins, much more refreshing than the usual, "Angry stupid gob" sort of thing.  Show their softer side, and we'll root for them and not for the dwarves.

Afraid I haven't heard of that, but it certainly sounds worth reading. Tend to enjoy different takes on the usual fantasy stuff. Though I will admit that, looking through the DF wiki now, my POV for the goblins might've fit the kobolds better, considering their ethics focusing on loyalty and little else.

Though granted, the ethics system applies to the newer versions, when I'm here playing outdated old 23a.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 09:20:32 am »

I haven't read your story yet, though I'm about to. I just had to respond to this quoted reply first. The Last Ringbearer is very good, even though in parts it definitely reads like the fanfic it is. However the last ringbearer of the title is not Sauron. Sauron is the king of Mordor who dies during the war. The last ringbearer is a field medic Lt. given the task of somehow stopping the impending elvish invasion of Middle Earth by the last of the Nazguls (wizardly protectors of Mordor). The ring in question is the sign of office of a nazgul so that the Lt. ( the ringbearer) would be given all due assistance by whatever remnants of the Mordorian kingdom he came across.

Good stuff though. Highly recommend. The link to the English pdf as well as the original Russian is below:
http://ymarkov.livejournal.com/270570.html

EDIT: Just read your story, nicely done. Would read more. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:31:24 am by Indricotherium »
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

if you want to know what our goblins are like - watch labyrinth.  we have labyrinth goblins in traditional "greenface".

it isnt so much that they are stupid, it is that they are selfish.  compared to real world humans, goblins have the ethics of real world chimps.... perhaps even more so.  they are sociopaths, they understand self, but dont really comprehend that other things are "selves" as well.  a strong leader can bend goblins to his will, but without one they fragment into smallish warbands.... or at least i think they would.

i like goblins.  so much so i made them fairly playable. i might also write up an account of one of my towers.

as for your writing, not too bad.  i'm not a big fan of such "high style", but that's just me.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:49 am »

if you want to know what our goblins are like - watch labyrinth.  we have labyrinth goblins in traditional "greenface".

it isnt so much that they are stupid, it is that they are selfish.  compared to real world humans, goblins have the ethics of real world chimps.... perhaps even more so.  they are sociopaths, they understand self, but dont really comprehend that other things are "selves" as well.  a strong leader can bend goblins to his will, but without one they fragment into smallish warbands.... or at least i think they would.

i like goblins.  so much so i made them fairly playable. i might also write up an account of one of my towers.

as for your writing, not too bad.  i'm not a big fan of such "high style", but that's just me.

Thank you. And yeah, I should've given it a second thought before writing this story up. Would've worked better for kobolds, maybe.

And it bugs me that I HAVE watched Labyrinth. XD
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: [1] 2