Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiles incorporating workshop input/output  (Read 675 times)

Jay_H

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stockpiles incorporating workshop input/output
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:10:25 pm »

Stockpile should have an easier method of designating the stockpile for workshop inputs/outputs. DF already has code in it which checks for the proper input when a workshop is performing a job so DF can already identify which items are inputs/outputs for a workshop. So . . .

(1) a new category should be added to the stockpile menu titled something like: "Workshop Input/Output". In this category would be subcategories corresponding to every workshop (or almost every workshop). In the main view when a "Workshop Input/Output" stockpile is placed it would be empty with nothing selected (or maybe not even show up as a category on the main view at all). However, in the stockpile settings menu (q + s) the main category "Workshop Input/Output" would contain subcategories of a list of workshops which could be "permit" or "forbid". The individual items in each category would be redundant with existing items in the other lists but correspond to the workshops accepted inputs/outputs.

Thought: This should be relatively easy to implement because DF already generates a list of tasks (q + a) for the task menu of each workshop. Using this already existing list program code to create a list of all the "reagents" used for those tasks from the RAWs (or wherever). As this list would be dynamically generated it would be automatically updated in future versions of DF which include new tasks, new objects, or even new workshops/buildings (e.g. beehives).

Example1(Carpenter's Workshop): permitting "Workshop Input/Output - Carpenter's Workshop" would automatically select all wood logs for the stockpile. [Not very useful here except perhaps as a learning tool for newbies]
Example2(Soap Maker's Workshop): permitting "Soap Maker's Workshop" would select all animal tallows, lye, and rock nut oil. [HIGHLY useful, see how long it takes to select all the tallows without selecting any of the fats. Again a useful in-game teaching mechanism as players may discover for the first time that they can make soap out of rock nut oil by reading this list, or other new features as they become implemented.]
Example3(Kitchen): ??? I'm not even sure of every input a kitchen might take. There are all the foods, plants, and then rendering of fat etc. However, in the case of the kitchen the list of cookable items might be used from the "Status" (z) menu "Kitchen" tab which lists whether such items are permitted to be cooked and brewed. [On the other hand, perhaps more complicated workshops like "kitchen" or "farm plots" might need to be left off of the "Workshop Input/Output" list if the coding for them is unique or different from other buildings.]

Implementation notes:
 Because of the redundant listing permitting/forbidding would need to change selection both in the workshop I/O category and the primary categories of each item.

Suggestion for in-game Stockpile help:
(2) When you "view" ('k' + Enter) an object it should say which corresponding stockpile category it is. It is obvious that schist will go to a stone stockpile, and oak log to a wood stockpile but it isn't so obvious that ash is a Bars/Blocks or that mechanisms are stored in a Furniture/Siege Ammo stockpile.

Recommended display syntax: <primary category> - <secondary category>
Example1(schist): Stone - Other Stone
Example2(coke): Bars/Blocks - Bars: Other Materials

Jay_H

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiles incorporating workshop input/output
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:12:03 pm »

Oh, this is a similar post to: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34625
which discusses other stockpile suggestions.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:26:11 pm »

So essentially you want to be able to make a workshop take resources from only a certain stockpile?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 03:56:46 pm »

I like this idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jay_H

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

So essentially you want to be able to make a workshop take resources from only a certain stockpile?

No, this doesn't relate to how a workshop chooses to take resources - only another way of organizing custom stockpiles with additional pre-selected user-friendly lists.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:35 am »

No, this doesn't relate to how a workshop chooses to take resources - only another way of organizing custom stockpiles with additional pre-selected user-friendly lists.

Having some pre-selected lists especially for obscure more obscure things, that require fishing in a few categories would help. However, apart from a few days needed to implement I see a few other problems:

* I never really had a problem with output stockpiles. With trial and error I learned to place input stockpiles close to workshops, and let haulers do their job with products.
* Sometimes you will still need to customize an input stockpile. Do you cook seeds? Alcohol? Brew-able plants? Milk? I don't, but default kitchen input stockpile would include them.
* It may be better to have more than one input stockpile if a workshop accepts a variety of things. For example separate cloth and dye piles next to dyer (and cloth pile also close to tailor obviously). Another example is bone (bone, skull, horn, hoof only) stockpile next to craftdwarf's workshops. Should this stockpile also accept stone (nothing else will fit then)? What about unrefined funobtanium?

What I miss most is a stockpile for "All metal items designated for melting". I'd place that next to a forge. Now I just approximate with "Anything made of metal with low quality" and taking from a lot of other piles, but that is not good enough.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral