Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How much would you pay for an indie game?  (Read 1600 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: How much would you pay for an indie game?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 05:03:51 am »

Well, I think the type of game makes a difference here, so I will break down each point.

Free with donation
The great part about this payment scheme is that a good quality game will attract a regular fanbase that will continue to donate, so this can generate a constant income, making it great for games that are updates often like DF or MC. The developers get paid constantly for their work, and the player feels that their money is going right into making the game better.

Regular price tag
Best for a one shot game that isn't going to be updated. Dev makes an awesome game, sells for a set price, makes lots of money, works on the next game.

Putting in ads and toolbar installations
Smart phone flash games. They are too small for you to care about paying for, if you have two brain cells, and there is some great architecture in place already to do this. I wouldn't try to make money from phone games any other way, and I wouldn't use this method for any other medium.

Customers set the price
Best for when good will is involved, like the humble indie bundle. That thing is for charity, isn't it? Cases like that are ideal here.

Microtransactions
Not a huge fan. I have never seen it done well.

Free with "Premium Acounts"
I might be bias, but I honestly think this is evil.
Pages: 1 [2]