Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: INTERACTIONS!!!!!!!!!  (Read 12791 times)

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
Re: INTERACTIONS!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 08:07:39 pm »

I hope interactions include the ability to breath Fire, because that would be awesome.

Hark!

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, I play Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 08:25:58 am »

I feel like df would lose some of its magic if magic were to simply be a list of spells you can cast until you run out of mp. So far, toady has managed to break so many of these rpg norms, that I'm guessing that magic is going to be very different from any RPG yet, but what I don't know. Something more realistic. lol. Realistic magic.
 Interactions though, that will be enjoyable. First aid will be interesting. He's going to have that right? Every skill that dwarves can have? I wonder how he's going to cap off the necromancer's power, whether by a limit of raised souls based on your skill level or something else.
I enjoy other games, like Nethack. Also I listen to hardcore bands like ampere and we were skeletons and magrudergrind.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 09:45:10 am »

I feel like df would lose some of its magic if magic were to simply be a list of spells you can cast until you run out of mp. So far, toady has managed to break so many of these rpg norms, that I'm guessing that magic is going to be very different from any RPG yet, but what I don't know. Something more realistic. lol. Realistic magic.
 Interactions though, that will be enjoyable. First aid will be interesting. He's going to have that right? Every skill that dwarves can have? I wonder how he's going to cap off the necromancer's power, whether by a limit of raised souls based on your skill level or something else.

Why cap the power? Why not let the adventurer acquire such a large army of the dead that the game lags? "Skill levels" for magic are kind of a formulaic RPG thing. Besides, you will probably become the enemy of all civilizations for playing around with the undead too much.

Hark!

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, I play Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 02:29:38 pm »

Why cap the power? Why not let the adventurer acquire such a large army of the dead that the game lags? "Skill levels" for magic are kind of a formulaic RPG thing. Besides, you will probably become the enemy of all civilizations for playing around with the undead too much.

True, why limit fun?

But I wasn't talking about not having magic skill level. I'm just saying magic would be sweeter if it wasn't completely predictable. In older fantasy stories and myths and whatnot, the source and technical abilities and details of wizards was never laid bare (generally speaking). Its was a way to explain the unexplainable. Our modern depictions of magic in fantasy just lay out all the details and explain everything. Of course the reason for this is that the older fantasy was always from the perspective of ignorant humans, while today's fantasy literature and dnd roleplaying games have the main character cast as a wizard so of course you get to see how everything works.

My point is:
 1. Science sucks! 2. Critical thinking sucks! 4. Ignorance is bliss!
I enjoy other games, like Nethack. Also I listen to hardcore bands like ampere and we were skeletons and magrudergrind.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »

If my adventurer can mine...I'm going to tunnel under a bronze collossus lair and collapse it into a death shaft

If my adventurer can CHOOSE where he is going to throw people with wrestling. I'm going throw bandits off of mountains ((more successfully))

If my adventurer can animate the dead. I'm going to throw severed animal heads ((like sword-fish)) at people. And bring them to life when they are stuck in a wound

If I can breathe fire, I'm going to boil a river for some cooked fish.

If I can fly I'm going to grab a shop-keeper and go about 100 z-levels up. Then drop him on someone.

What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:18 pm »

More effective/Aimed throws would be awesome - We could once again explode our foes against trees!

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 02:46:35 pm »

While the limitless army of undead thing is fun, the rest of the skills in the game do have some kind of leveling system. I would imagine this not to be too different though. Maybe you just make stronger minions with higher skill, or are more successful at actually make the corpse get up and do things.

I'd like to see, at low levels, the ability to raise anything from the dead, but complete lack of ability to control it without enough skill. Then again, I like self inflicted FUN.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 07:15:26 pm »

*crosses fingers for being able to place blocks*
I'm going to be a goblin lumberjack with a legion of (undead) elven maids, killing off the older ones(every three days) while I go to replenish my work force
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »

I do really look forward to workshops working more than anything else.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 08:16:18 pm »

I hope we can deconstruct towns!
"GIVE ME BACK MY DOOR! AND MY ROOF!"
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 05:08:39 am »

Here's to hoping that DF magic is similar to Slaves To Armok: God Of Blood.
My god, teleporting your own limbs YES.
I mean, there should obviously be restrictions so you can't start teleporting people's organs out of their bodies straight from genning an adventurer, but still.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 01:30:46 pm »

I mean, there should obviously be restrictions so you can't start teleporting people's organs out of their bodies straight from genning an adventurer, but still.

There should be an option to start out with such knowledge, however. Just an option, not a default for every adventurer however. It's the same reasons I think we should have the option to choose our starting equipment based of points, and that there should be at least a rank one above demigod for character gen.

Anyway, the implications for modding here are crazy. Toady mentioned going through a list of targets... so if nothing else, there's a good chance we can, say, mod it in so you could target someone's skin and give it necrosis, for instance. However, we do know you can't do these interactions until you learn "the secrets of life and death", so either we have to go through the same loops as learning necromancy to enable these other reactions OR we're allowed to mod in prerequisites somehow.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 06:21:46 pm »

Which would be really funny. Ambitious modders could potentially mod the game so that not only gods of death can give knowledge to their devoted followers but also gods of fire, illnesses etc.  :P

Hunting down the slabs containing those secrets could become a very nice motivation for adventurers.

GreenJelly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 07:45:37 am »

Cities, catacombs, werecapybaras, vampires, necromancy... I am so hyped for this! :D

Jelly

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 09:16:44 am »

Which would be really funny. Ambitious modders could potentially mod the game so that not only gods of death can give knowledge to their devoted followers but also gods of fire, illnesses etc.  :P

Hunting down the slabs containing those secrets could become a very nice motivation for adventurers.

This is the kind of behaviour that I'd like in the game. Randomly generated dieties having some personality-based chance to give their random magic knowledge to certain mortals. As long as it wasn't just combat. I'm thinking that a god of fertility might give you a pregnancy spell, or a god of food might let you conjure/duplicate food, a god of rain would... you know..., and a god of minerals might give you knowledge of what lies below.

In general, diety gives you magic so you go around and do stuff that furthers their interests. Note: death gods want you to kill stuff. Fire gods would want you to burn stuff. Ocean god wants you to spread/make people experience the ocean, which doesn't necessarily mean drowning them, but perhaps just splashing them with salty water.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4