Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starter RPG  (Read 2226 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starter RPG
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 07:46:59 pm »

For a very simple RPG, I'd look at http://tenthousandworlds.org/. It's free, I stumbled across it a while ago while looking for something similar to what you are looking for.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 07:48:59 pm »

This...this is a joke, right? Changeling gets pretty damn horrific.

Compared to the rest of the WoD, yeah, I think so. You can get away with a dark faerie tale that doesn't require child abuse, drug abuse, blood slaves, sexual assault, necrophilia and demon worship. Vampire? Those are part and parcel of the setting. Werewolf? Mage? Wraith? Half of the baddies in the genre are at best depraved, and at worst, the devil. Ever heard of Black Dog Productions? Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. Because stores by and large wouldn't sell their stuff due to graphic textual content. The pictures didn't help either.

By comparison, even on bad days, Changeling is a nice change of pace for WoD

Maybe he was talking about oWoD Changeling? That's the really fluffy one about being fairies clinging to their fairyness, rather than the really creepy one about being kidnapped by fairies, and trying to deal with having their old place in the world stolen, isn't it?

Yes, I mean oWoD Changeling. The nWoD stuff I don't get into by and large. Although what you mentioned is part of both editions, I think they just choose to emphasize one over the other in each.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:55:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 08:41:09 pm »

One that's story oriented...
How about Dogs in the Vineyard?
It's supposed to be an Islamic-centric game, but you can make it work for any religion (my Jewish friend ran it when I played).  And the rules are simple:
The GM says "yes" or he rolls dice.
If it's not a direct conflict (dice) whatever the player says, goes.

It's actually entirely valid to walk into a town, see that there are demons, and say "we burn the place to the ground, and everyone in it."

It's not the best way to solve the problem, but it is a valid way.

Also, the dice rules are real simple.  Bigger numbers win.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:42:54 pm by Draco18s »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »

Yes, I mean oWoD Changeling. The nWoD stuff I don't get into by and large. Although what you mentioned is part of both editions, I think they just choose to emphasize one over the other in each.

You should probably brush up on your nWoD. Old Changeling and New Changeling are drastically different from eachother. Moreso than any of the other lines.

Also, I will second you play Vampire: the Requiem, and make the PCs part of the Lancea Sanctum. And their haven is underneath the church you attend.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 09:13:09 pm »

I don't play PnP rpgs, so can't recommend anything, but a thought occurred to me while reading the OP: Have you asked your prospective player what sort of setting she would prefer? Maybe she'd much rather play a Sci-fi rpg than a fantasy one, for instance?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 09:27:39 pm »

Players don't get to decide.

The MASTER decides.

That's why he's called MASTER.

BECAUSE OF HIS MASTERY OVER YOU.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 10:27:41 pm »

Yeah, it'd be easier to suggest something if we knew about her preferences.

Anyway, you should totally play 7th Sea.  It's cool.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 10:30:34 pm »

I offered sci-fi (in two flavors), fantasy, and modern day vampires or just modern day period. Her response was "those all sound good" :-)
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 11:53:59 pm »

With a preference of story over mechanics, I'd go straight to Nobilis. For something with a relatively light, cinematic rule set that is more interesting in terms of monotheistic themes, there's In Nomine.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:28 am »

Players don't get to decide.

The MASTER decides.

That's why he's called MASTER.

BECAUSE OF HIS MASTERY OVER YOU.
This is bad GMing advice right there.

A good GM is going to have an open line of communication with the players, and actively work to ensure that everyone enjoys it (Including the GM). I would never, ever start a new campaign without first ensuring that my players will at least want to try and enjoy the setting. Not only because trying to be the MASTER OVERLORD LEADER COMRADE of the group is a dick thing to do, but also because if they don't enjoy the setting you're working towards nothing as they won't actually want to play.

Nenjin, nWod Changeling is significantly darker. You can play it so that it isn't as disturbed, but it would require the same amount of effort as playing a non-creepy version of V:tR or W:tF.

I'm still suggesting WR&M here. Incredibly simplistic everything, and you can have the setting be stock fantasy or whatever the hell else you want. It's also free.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 01:02:19 am »

Uh... I'm pretty sure that Grakelin's post was parody.

Also, I uh don't actually really play PnP myself, but I've heard a lot of stories of how Vampire has a tendency to turn into Vampire GTA if the players don't treat it too seriously.  I figure it just takes the... what do you call it, "beer and pretzels" PnP mindset?  Just relaxing and messing around, like.  That's not too creepy, and doesn't require much effort, right?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 01:15:05 am »

I've never had Vampire (or any other WoD RPG, for that matter) turn into an action shoot-em-up before. Partly because Vampires aren't actually that tough unless they spend all their time training to be a ninjitsu warrior at the expense of everything else. Maybe there's a component I am missing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 01:19:49 am »

I dunno, the first PnP I've played would be DnD... It's not really that confusing, at least on a basic level, as it's not like you say: "I make a strength check with a plus-whatever modifier to shift that boulder", you say "I want to go up and shove that boulder out of the way!" It's usually the DM who translates your actions into the rules, as far as I know.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 01:28:48 am »

I've never had Vampire (or any other WoD RPG, for that matter) turn into an action shoot-em-up before. Partly because Vampires aren't actually that tough unless they spend all their time training to be a ninjitsu warrior at the expense of everything else. Maybe there's a component I am missing.

I used to GM a werewolf gruop that were though enough to fight an small army on their own.
Had to relly on Technocracy weapons to harm them :p

One WW game I like a lot is Exalted. At least the setting. I find it sooo cool.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 02:02:21 am »

I will second Risus as a simple, story-based RPG. Also, Minimus is... minimal in the rules. Entire rulebook is two pages (up from one in the first edition) last I checked.

http://www.mimgames.com/window/

That's also supposed to be a very flexible, mostly story-focused roleplaying system with a modular setting.

Worth noting that all three I've listed are free and light on rolling, as far as I recall.
Pages: 1 [2] 3