Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What level of military power should the US aim for?

World Police, we can take on the world, we could win a land war in Asia, god damn it!
- 24 (20.9%)
Matched Force, enough power to take on any other nation one on one and win
- 34 (29.6%)
Force Projection, enough to have influence around the world, but no real capability for a full on war in a foreign nation
- 10 (8.7%)
Fulfilling Treaty Obligations, no more
- 22 (19.1%)
Homeland Defense, no more
- 16 (13.9%)
Nuclear Deterrent is enough
- 4 (3.5%)
We need no military power at all
- 5 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: The Military - Does the US actually need one?  (Read 12391 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: The Military - Does the US actually need one?
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2011, 06:03:30 pm »

Discipline is great and all, if it's self discipline. Teaching subordination doesn't really help with anything other than organizations like the military, where you're just a cog in a machine. Individuality my ass.

That's a good thing, man. It's called learning to work as a team, to do the unpleasant work because you're the one who's best at it, or because it'll better everyone else. There is *no* job out there that doesn't require subordination. None at all.

Except if you were, hypothetically, the world dictator.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »

Discipline is great and all, if it's self discipline. Teaching subordination doesn't really help with anything other than organizations like the military, where you're just a cog in a machine. Individuality my ass.

That's a good thing, man. It's called learning to work as a team, to do the unpleasant work because you're the one who's best at it, or because it'll better everyone else. There is *no* job out there that doesn't require subordination. None at all.

Or a god(dess). Hypothetically, of course.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2011, 01:36:07 am »

I'd contend that *especially* for the world dictator, you've got to be subordinate. Not to people, but to limited resources. Why is our average tin pot dictator is so sucky at actually running his country (beside the corruption, nepotism, and violence) is because they're so bad at realizing that they are damn sure subordinate to reality.

I've got nothing really good to limit a god(dess).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2011, 01:37:19 am »

I'd contend that *especially* for the world dictator, you've got to be subordinate. Not to people, but to limited resources. Why is our average tin pot dictator is so sucky at actually running his country (beside the corruption, nepotism, and violence) is because they're so bad at realizing that they are damn sure subordinate to reality.

I've got nothing really good to limit a god(dess).

They also typically have limited powers, and in several cases are also mortal.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2011, 01:43:31 am »

If we want to argue a limited god(dess) of the sort I like to write about, then it's certainly important (and in said writing, that's a major theme, I'd say.).

However, if we're talking about an all-powerful God, then I suppose that it doesn't matter.

Unless you aren't actually subordinate to anything, knowing how to be subordinate is an important skill.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]