Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76073 times)

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #600 on: August 27, 2011, 12:46:14 am »

I just got my first streak, and hey! They're both Nemelex's Choices. :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:00:40 am by Taxus »

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 27, 2011, 12:46:53 am »

Bay12 Champions are in 4th place!

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 27, 2011, 01:15:26 am »

good work!

Bay12 Champions are in 4th place!

congratz!

my run being so... "stuck" resulted in me getting really into deus ex hr which i just picked up... I do plan to try to find a few hours this weekend to salvage at least an attempt at a win/loss though.. i feel awful only playing 7or8total games in the tournament... usually in offline crawl i'll play 8games in an hour!!!

are these tournaments biannual or annual? or what? if i am more prepared next time and don't join halfway through maybe i'll have more fun

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2011, 04:07:16 am »

So, finally a win in the tournament, which perhaps goes some way towards justifying my position in the Champions team.

In the end, I think the character was pretty powerful and could probably have gone on to get more runes; I could easily have had Shatter castable.

However, I think I would have run out of time, and would probably have ended up dying in hell or pan, like all my previous 15-rune attempts.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:49 am »

Humm. Here's hoping Webtiles someday comes a bit closer to Tiles. I'm missing half the interface and it takes like .5 secs between every turn to move. Agh. I play it offline 4-5 hours a day yet I cant squeeze any time into the tourney because of how terrible it is. Is it just my internet? Do you guys with good net get no delay?

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 27, 2011, 06:49:01 am »

Congrats!

Humm. Here's hoping Webtiles someday comes a bit closer to Tiles. I'm missing half the interface and it takes like .5 secs between every turn to move. Agh. I play it offline 4-5 hours a day yet I cant squeeze any time into the tourney because of how terrible it is. Is it just my internet? Do you guys with good net get no delay?

I only had lag last night, due to all the people playing. The server ended up crashing shortly afterward.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:42 am »

This was pretty much my situation right here, plus the fact that once the new webtiles finally did come out school was just about to start.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 27, 2011, 10:04:23 am »

I just got my 2nd win. I only played a MuCj to get the high score. This character was capable of grabbing more runes, but I got bored. :-\

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 27, 2011, 10:23:24 am »

Yesterday I picked up the abyssal rune, and cleared the Vestibule of Hell. Shatter is not quite as powerful as I'd hoped (at 9/10), and it's noisy enough to attract every monster in a large radius. I'll have to figure out the right strategy for using it.
I tried Zot:1 just now, and had to retreat after getting battered (and nearly killed) by a yellow draconian monk - when every iron shot misses this character has a problem, his melee struggles when it has to do all the work. Fixing all the damage I took will cost me most of my remaining recharge scrolls (or a chunk of Elyvilon piety) and most of my enchant armour scrolls.
I feel like I could do with some better equipment and some more spells, so I'm going to try clearing Elf:5 today. Learning Silence may be necessary, but I need to train Hexes up somewhat for that. Haste and Freezing Cloud are the other possibilities - but my spellcasting is a little low so I have to choose carefully.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/frankhovis/frankhovis.txt

edit: Makhleb and Necromancy seem like the most solid/forgiving choice for a Deep Dwarf. If you hit a brick wall of difficulty with Elyvilon, your piety only goes so far to help you recover (and regaining piety is somewhat slow and tedious, with Makhleb you can maintain your momentum).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:33:25 am by baruk »

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 27, 2011, 10:39:54 am »

By the way, I finally believe in Xom. Yesterday as I was clearing Snake:5, my new kitten jumped on my keyboard with his foot firmly on the 5 key. I was standing right next to a greater naga. The thing got plenty of swings at me while I just stood there, and it took me down to 34 hp before I got my cat off the keyboard. For some reason the naga decided to teleport itself, or I'm sure I would have died.

My other big scare: I was in the Hall of Blades attempting to sneak up on Xtahua and stab him. He woke up, and I started leaving... when I stepped on a Zot trap and was paralyzed. Or maybe one of the dancing weapons stepped on it? There were several weapons approaching. Xtahua breathed fire on me several times and almost killed me, and then I got smacked by a war axe of distortion and it sent me to the Abyss. If there had been monsters around I would have been toast, but as it was I got out easily.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 27, 2011, 12:13:16 pm »

Finally got that 15-runes win. Boy, was that painful. I lost count of the number of mutations and banishments that I suffered. But in the end, Good triumphs over Evil!

We have pretty much secured that 4th place with those last games. We are no that far from 3rd place actually, but they have high level characters still alive while we have pretty much fired our last bullets. It's worth noting that we have a quite impressive 8.5% of wins, which is pretty damn sweet, it's the 2nd best win rate (and the 3rd is at 4%).

Congratulations everyone  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:15:21 pm by Alg »

Sablis

• Bay Watcher
  • New account - Yunor
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 27, 2011, 12:24:36 pm »

Grats Alg! Champs are great this year.

Oops, if I knew that we were in the running for a good win-rate, I would stopped VpAE's after my fifth one (I never had any luck with that combo :(. My win-rate for the tourney is 3.92%, terrible when compared to the other Champs :P)

Anyways, great job everyone!

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 27, 2011, 01:40:54 pm »

Um, me too; my win rate was 5% after my DDIE. I should have just left it there instead of trying a few games with unpopular combos.

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 27, 2011, 02:44:23 pm »

Woohoo! Congrats Alg, and congrats everyone else! I feel like we have represented Bay12 quite well.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #614 on: August 27, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »

Well my current character has gotten to the point that I normally do before dieing so I figured why not ask here what I should do now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44