Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76093 times)

Sablis

• Bay Watcher
  • New account - Yunor
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #570 on: August 25, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

Good news!

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Yunor/morgue-Yunor-20110825-195507.txt

CeWz 15-runer with a nice turncount and nice time :).

It was a pretty standard Oka->TSO 15-rune game, really nothing out of the ordinary (Though I never did get a wand of healing...even after spending several acquirement scrolls on wands D:)

Looking back, I probably should have picked a different combo, centaurs are really popular in the tournament for some reason, and I forgot that I already won a wizard.

Still, I got an extra 75 points for winning a Nemelex's Choice character, and I'm happy with that (:

Well, I think I'm done for this tourney since there's only 2 days or so left. Good luck on rushing those last few wins in!

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 25, 2011, 03:39:03 pm »

I don't have consumables because red and white draconians destoryed almost all of them, I do however have EVERY WAND and DD wand recharge skill... (i think you can just flat out see my inventory if you check the char dump... it shows that i've already worshipped tso before in the abyss and that i'm out of useful consumables)

as far as changing gods well I've already changed gods once that's how I got the scourge... tso would be easy to remax but i have a feeling angels would get taken down fast down here, mahkleb's greater demons would prolly fair better because some of them themselves are summoners, and I've never used zin so I don't really know what those abilities do... right now elvyion's abilities are GREAT, endless healing and the ability to pacify draconians on sight? UBER! however... I can't actually use them because I've already used them 1000s of times and I just don't have the piety score leftover, and there are basically no weapons left in the game... I've got 4perma food left so I could go back to the hive to refill to 5stars.... but i've already gone from Zot to Hive like 4or5 times refilling from 3to5stars of piety and it takes like 5000turns to give me like 5-7ability usages? it's kinda sad (mostly I'm worried zot is actually going to respawn on me if i waste this much time?)

also congrats sablis I really wonder how people manage to get 15runes! I'm running desperately low on resources and I only have 4runes... everyone in irc keeps telling me that the hell's are harder than zot!!! (but zot is really really really kicking my butt, orbs of fire are unfair and it's almost impossible to defend fully against a full range of multicolor draconians at once)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:44:22 pm by namad »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #572 on: August 25, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »

Finished clearing orc then went and cleared snake as well as getting the rune for it making this the first game where I have had multiple runes. Managed to get abyssed but found a portal back real quick so neither here nor there. Found a lot of rings including 2 int+5 rings and also found a lot of random stuff as well. Any advice for what to do now and what spells to learn?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 25, 2011, 04:03:36 pm »

Probably Vaults. Your summons should be able to curbstomp most things there. Also Crypt. Just don't go to Tomb.

As for spells, you have an amulet of Clarity, so Alistair's Intoxication would probably make the Elven Halls a cakewalk.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 25, 2011, 04:06:24 pm »

Congrats Sablis, 3rd Nemelex Challenge for Bay12 Champions, and a 15-runer too! We have some nice run still going on, I think we might be able to ninja the 4th place right before the end.

My MfIE is going well, I FINALLY got rid of teleportisis, and even managed to store 2 cure mutation (yeah, I want a  cure mutation for 4hours and when I finally find one, I find 2 more in the next 20mn...). Now if only Okawaru stopped giving platemails, swords, maces, and all of the myriad of things I don't want and started gifting useful things like a demon trident or a nice robe, it would certainly be nice.
Still...not that bad really, things are looking up.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 25, 2011, 04:55:54 pm »

My latest DrTm has had some exciting times. Lair showed up on D:8, but Lair:1 was full of electric eels. I looked deeper into dungeon proper, but D:9 was full of electric eels. I took my chances with D:9, as I could at least pick a stairway that wasn't near any eels, and descended to D:10 without much exploration.

D:10 had guardian serpents.

GUARDIAN SERPENTS.

I managed to escape with my ring of teleportation, and ran to D:11, where I engaged in battle with a giant pile of orcs, yaks and other assorted monsters. I could mostly deal with those, except I couldn't really safely melee more than one at a time, and I was running out of poison potions. Luckily, I found the stairs to Hive, and had managed to get Ice form to a reasonable casting rate. Right now, I'm trying to clear the place of bees, but they tend to almost kill me every now and then. The bees don't hit all that hard, but they still hit, and there's a lot of them. And the whole level is really open.

Also, I found a ring of ice early on and turned out to be a white draconian, so I chose Vehumet in hopes of getting some conjurations done. Icicle, freezing cloud, ice storm and so on and so forth. I haven't found a single book in the dungeon so far, so I guess I'll just have to wait for Vehu's book gifts to start before I can get to nuking everything.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:25 pm »

Finished clearing orc then went and cleared snake as well as getting the rune for it making this the first game where I have had multiple runes. Managed to get abyssed but found a portal back real quick so neither here nor there. Found a lot of rings including 2 int+5 rings and also found a lot of random stuff as well. Any advice for what to do now and what spells to learn?

i'd learn some tloc prolly hoping for controlled blink? then again you might wanna see what books the crypt/vaults has to offer (they'll always have several since they're so rich on drops)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:23:42 pm by namad »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 25, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »

3orbs of fire in a row... one i teleported away using a trap, the next one i killed (but while i fought it a goth moth drained my mp and limited my escape and recovery plans) then i fought the goth moth and right before i could kill it a new orb of fire came into view, i panic'd and teleported out... only to land near another orb of fire... ran back to zot:4... down to NINE MAX MP wow that's bad  although as far as i can tell that 1moth and those 2orbs are all that is between me and the final chamber (which is likely also full of enemies)

maybe i should scum the abyss, if only I had like a few dozen thousand more xp :-p

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 25, 2011, 06:03:09 pm »

Well, if you can get to the Orb Chamber, you won't need any more MP. If you can get to the Orb Chamber. >:]

I really have no idea what you should be doing. In your situation, I'd probably have died a hundred times over from careless play.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 25, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »

if I had like 15more charges of healing i'd prolly just freaking go for it... but i don't... and i've already retreated and there is now an orb of fire by the stairs down in z5 so i might go recharge some piety back in the hive i have 2rolly jelly and 1meat ration left.... i could afford to lose 1or2 of those prolly

or i could try recharging piety somewhere weird like vault3 with my gourmand amulet on and try to avoid using any

if nothing changes i know I can kill those 2more orbs of fire in my way.... the sick thing is... I've teleported into the left path and seen ALMOST NO ENEMIES and ancient liches instead of orbs of fire which are much easier.... but i chose the right path so... too late to change my mind (no need to clear both paths only have to clear one of them... but omfg the left path seems to have had like HALF or LESS the enemy count the path i chose had.... seriously seriously unbalanced)

I'm just a little worried, how many healing charges will the run itself take once I'm on zot4 with the orb? I don't want to spend ALL my gas getting the orb and have none left to escape

the pretty much absolute shittiest thing tho is that if i want to have see invis i need to have rF+ and there is an orb of fire near a ghost moth STILL I already killed one orb of fire/ghost moth but the ghost moth ran away with like 10% health and i couldn't give chase with the orb of fire tearing into me! also I busted a few lesser healings on the ghost moth because I knew it was weak, and it couldn't deal damage to me (but it basically empties my mana entirely every shot) if i had just wasted the piety on a greater healing i bet it would be gone now instead of me wasting time nearly killing it only to have it go run off and heal
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:31:44 pm by namad »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 25, 2011, 06:39:00 pm »

For my part, I just found electric eels on Hive:2. That's three floors infested with the lightning-shooting little shitheads. I bet Xom is giggling himself silly right about now.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #581 on: August 25, 2011, 07:24:55 pm »

And so my best character ever dies. I went from full health to no health because of a vault guard blitz when I was trying to get a few up the stairs like I had already done a couple times.

Edit: Oh look, the final attack that killed me only did a single damage...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:37:15 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:18 pm »

^Taking on Vault: 8 at Level 17 with 106 hp is a risky proposition (especially with low evasion stats). Not much room for error or bad luck - a common recommendation is to leave Vault:8 until after clearing the main dungeon.

The continuing tribulations of Frankhovis the Deep Dwarf Ice Elementalist
 I had an excellent crawl session today, and managed to clear D:20 to D:27, which gives me a little breathing room with three days left. Additionally, my plan of getting shatter castable has come to fruition, with earth magic now mastered I just have to make some room for it with amnesia scrolls.
 I still need a third rune, so exploring the Abyss would seem the quickest option. If I'm feeling more adventurous, I could perhaps embark on my first ever expedition into Pandemonium..
Boris was left well alone this time around - when I've tackled him in the past, I've always used Silence. Taking him on when he can still cast spells just seems like asking for trouble.
Note that Train the DDIE, of Bay12 Champions, has already outlevelled me despite starting later (he's two higher at exp:25).
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/frankhovis/frankhovis.txt
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:56:52 pm by baruk »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 25, 2011, 11:15:59 pm »

And so my best character ever dies. I went from full health to no health because of a vault guard blitz when I was trying to get a few up the stairs like I had already done a couple times.

Edit: Oh look, the final attack that killed me only did a single damage...

flat mistake, all avoidable, anyone you asked would've said that doing the vault means doing 1-7 then coming back for 8later :-/

in fact I feel bad that I didn't say anything, I just assumed you knew that "vaults" is slang for 1-7   8 is about twice as hard as 7

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 25, 2011, 11:16:55 pm »

For my part, I just found electric eels on Hive:2. That's three floors infested with the lightning-shooting little shitheads. I bet Xom is giggling himself silly right about now.

hive has eels like 20-30% of the time? not that rare altho generally they're only near water and so there's at least a limited few number of them (you can always bag a bit of food/exp and then leave without clearing out all the lizoot)

edit: I'd like to mention that I am no longer having any fun at all and I almost just want to /quit my DDHe    he's SO CLOSE TO WINNING that I don't want to give up... but also winning is going to be so hard as to not even be fun at all anymore! i'm down to the last few resources in my game and it's gonna be tough to think of a way to win with them! (it's like a game of desktop dungeons I invested 20hours into (a puzzle))

I was honestly planning to die before I ever got my 3rd rune then just start playing fun random characters for high scores on bad combinations ... that's what I wanted to do and the tournament is gonna end before I get a chance...

I REALLY REALLY REALLY WISH online play allowed you to savegames and start other characters with other names... thats one main reason I love offline mode so much 1) mouseinventory hotkeys 2) mouse minimap movement 3) I usually have 2or3 characters going at once of different types so when I get bored or frustrated I can get a change of pace without killing myself
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:19:39 pm by namad »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44