Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76118 times)

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #540 on: August 23, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

I feel like such an idiot for listening to all those people who said it was really easy to raise tso piety!!!! I've wasted like half my perma food and run out of monsters to easily fight ... pan,hell,abyss,tomb all feel very scary... oh another thing... I spammed off like 4 cleansing fires to clear crypt4 figuring there'd be plenty of monsters left to make up the piety loss.... BOY WAS I WRONG

everyone on IRC just says, lol noob go to abyss it's SO EASY... but... I cannot cast swiftform unless I'm naked, so where exactly does that leave me?

Bay12 dorfs fear nothing! March into the Abyss! Make it your home!!

The Abyss shouldn't be too hard for you at your level. You can try Tomb:1 if you're too scared of the Abyss. It's mostly regular mummies, sphinxes, and guardian mummies.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 23, 2011, 04:58:53 pm »

Abyss is really not that bad, especially as a TSO worshiper. The main danger of the Abyss is really boredom, after a while you're sick of it, you stop even looking at what you're doing and then suddenly you meet a lich with summon greater demons teamed up with a bone dragon and you die before realizing there was an actual danger this time. If you could get Swiftness castable it would help a lot though. Also, bring scrolls of tp or ring of tp, even if if takes longer to kick in, it still can be a lifesaver.

Edit : Also, about Mennas, tormenting him does work. And it's fun! Combined with the also very much awesome haunt, poor Mennas couldn't do much.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:12:42 pm by Alg »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 23, 2011, 05:13:13 pm »

i cannot kill anything without first going to the abyss basically... and i cannot do tomb because i cannot handle mummy priests because i cannot handle ANY summoners at all because I have no ranged attacks at all... the 4cleansing fires i let off were all for liches... so i guess i could use those in the abyss too or even against mummy priests but... then i wouldn't be gaining piety... i guess with my ring of teleportation the abyss might not be so bad... although i have somehow picked up berzerkitis from... well i have no idea how i think it was from an elven demonolist or lich or mummy priest summoning a demon who could do it? or maybe just from zot traps? i haven't been casting any spells...   well I guess I'll just go to the abyss and give it a go... and just pray i don't need to teleport when I'm berzerking... although i've only actually gone berzerk from berzerkitis once ever in this characters lifetime.  I'm just so scared because this is my one and only chance to score a win for the bay12 engravers, as this is my strongest character ever in years and has taken me many days ... so I won't have time for another attempt during the tournament... I play slow... altho if I die i could just have fun messing around with low score builds some :)

the thing about how great tso's abilities are against the abyss is well... my goal is to gain 10-20piety and then go back to the temple and switch back to elvyion... so if i am chugging up tons of piety then well... why did I even bother?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:17:41 pm by namad »

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 23, 2011, 05:56:00 pm »

Swamp:4 has Mennas - I don't suppose he would be neutral to a good-god worshipper? I'm wondering if I could take him down in a stand up fight - I have Axes 16, the mithril axe Arga (war axe with speed brand, +10 +6), and potentially +6 DAM from slaying rings. Throw in a potion of speed, and my damage output should give him pause for thought. Defence wise, I could improve my chances by throwing some exp into Translocations to get Phase Shift castable (+8 EV), that would bring my buffed defences to AC26, EV26, SH30.

Yeah, he's friendly-neutral to good-god worshipers.
You are correct. Good job I didn't try waking him up with my customary thrown icicle..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In other news, I've bagged my first rune of the tournament, the barnacled one. Ilsuiw and Xtahua are defeated, I managed to catch the former away from her buddies, and some combination of curare, axe and icicles did the rest. As for the decayed rune,  I've run into bog mummies and undead fish on Swamp:5 so far, but I have full life protection available as well as Elyvilon's rot fixing so an undeath themed-vault should be survivable.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:58:56 pm by baruk »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 23, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »

killed about a dozen things in the abyss and got the piety i needed... now can i escape? :) drama!

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 23, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »

wow... abyss was EASY I used like 2charges of healing wand, 0scrolls, 1potion, 0food got the rune, got my piety, and escaped... all in like an hour... I've been fearing it for years but with TSO worship a high level character can just stomp the abyss (if he has a reliable means to teleport when he's surrounded)

EDIT: i gained 8negative mutations because i didn't know that enemy had mutagenic attacks or what the warning message for a mutagenic attack was... I had an amulet of resist mutation and i could've just teleport away from the mutator but i was actively hunting and killing them because they did so little damage to me and died so fast i was using them as easy ways to heal off TSO... stupid me

edit again: drank the only 2potions of cure mutation to generate yet... lost my +3stat from stat potions... lost most of my negative mutations... still have blurry vision1 and berzerk1
http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.9/namad/namad.txt
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:03:22 pm by namad »

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:59 pm »

Re: Mennas

The helpless Mennas fails to defend himself.
 You spit the helpless Mennas like a pig!!!
 You kill Mennas!
 Yredelemnul accepts your kill.
 Yredelemnul appreciates your killing of a holy being.
 Your Dodging skill increases to level 19!
 Your Stabbing skill increases to level 18!
_Your Invocations skill increases to level 9!

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 23, 2011, 10:45:16 pm »

I crashed right before being told if you thought my plan of swap religon, search weapons, hall o blades for a bit, elf5, vestibule, zot, win was a good plan from where i was at :-/

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 23, 2011, 10:59:25 pm »

Oops, didn't see that you switched already.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:10:01 pm by Dr.Feelgood »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 23, 2011, 11:54:11 pm »

crashed again, heh, also i've now cleared E:5 and hall of blades and ... got bugger all from it really guess i'll go take a peek at vestibule

crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.9/namad/namad.txt

edit: geryon is in sight of the entrance, there are no hallways... bugger... time for zot i guess... or heck how about a little real life while i wait for forum advice on what to do next! zot? or slime? or  v8 or tomb or vestibule, or other choice you think of something!

edit again: before I quit for the night I asked irc... and they suggested since i had no fire resistance i couldn't do zot (i actually do have it but i'm just not wearing it in my latest dump i guess) but that with rN+++ V8 was doable? i wasn't even aware v8 had necromancers i thought it was some sorta demons? v8 might have enough loot to get me better resists i'm just worried i'll die before ever trying zot? (i can always try zot1/2 then leave and come back right? zot isn't a one way deal is it?)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:18:40 am by namad »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #550 on: August 24, 2011, 01:21:25 am »

Decaying Rune, acquired! Swamp, Cleared!

Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:16 am »

Gratzie, Akh!

or  v8 or tomb or vestibule, or other choice you think of something!

Go do vault 8. Stair dance to take out the vault guards piecemeal, then have fun inside. Biggest threat to you is going to be golden dragons (The blazes are you doing without rPois?) and titans (airstrike hurts), possibly the yaktaur packs. Shadow dragons are easy to drop so long as you've got rN+++. You're probably able to melee tenticular monstrosities to death, so no big if they make a show. Other than that... It's not that bad, though, so long as you're careful.

[...]i had no fire resistance i couldn't do zot[...]
You don't do Zot 5 without at least rF++ (you want rF+++) and rElec. If you do, you will be murdered unless you, specifically, are blessed by every benevolent god in any and every existence that both is and could possibly be. You are not so blessed. Either an orb of fire or electric golem will kill you. Find at least rF++ and rElec before doing Zot. They don't necessarily have to be going at the same time, but you need both on immediately accessible (read, jewelry or buff spells) swap, for when you run into an appropriate critter.

Focus armor, fighting, and shields. Possibly open maces and flails back up for XP, so you can hit harder.. You might want to start feeding more XP into spellcasting, if for no other reason than getting swiftness and summong butterflies reliable. Repel missiles would also be tremendously useful, even for a heavy armor/shield critter. Swap out that sustenance ring for something useful. Either the pantheism or liberty randarts, probably. Maybe the fire rPois one, but you don't want cold vulnerability going into vault 8 (Golden dragons can breath cold. They will, if you're in there and vulnerable.).

Have you checked the shops that might have food? Dump's saying there might be two of 'em, on orc and vault 4.

S'all I can offer.

E: Oh, except this! See if you can't hunt up a vorpalise scroll... and maybe one of the branding spells. You only need to get it off once, to further improve your already awesome scourge. P.S. Slime will ruin most of your equipment, more likely than not. Don't go in there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:52:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 24, 2011, 01:54:24 am »

A funny thing just happened to me on my way to the Vaults.. following the stairs down to D:15 led me to the entrance, guarded by a group of humans. I decimated them with a couple of casts of ozocubu's refrigeration, only for a nearby skeletal warrior to raise the whole lot as zombies. Irritating!
 Fairly decent progress this session, with four more uniques added to my tally (including the dangerous Nikola).
Decaying Rune, acquired! Swamp, Cleared!
Snap! I also had the pestilence ending - eight-headed spectral hydras are unpleasant to run into when you're out of mana and the only retreat option is through clouds of miasma.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:23:42 am by baruk »

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 24, 2011, 02:51:47 am »

If I don't screw this up, that guy has pretty much all it needs to destroy everything in its path.

So...I did screw this up, although it was kind of a dick move from the RNG. I met a titan in pretty much the worse situation I could have imagined. I had no rElec (I knew it would be a problem but I didn't find any item with it). It was in one of those frickin spiral minivaults so no blink (I tried one and it failed), no way to break LOS and free multizap from his lightning bolt (which HURT with no rElec).

And to add insult to injury, it turned out that my way out was blocked. With. A. Freakin. GIANT. GECKO! Worse, the only visible square left was occupied by my stone giant zombie, who was following that gecko, so I couldn't even Controlled Blink there (but it was only at good because of Blade hands anyway).

Despite all this, I almost survived, his last zap of his last lightning bolt before I could break LOS hit me for 54 damage, and I had 53 hit points left... Yeah, I'm pissed, in part at myself because I know that I could have handled this better. Don't play at 1 A.M folks.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:48:15 am by Alg »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2011, 02:57:34 am »

Gratzie, Akh!

or  v8 or tomb or vestibule, or other choice you think of something!

Go do vault 8. Stair dance to take out the vault guards piecemeal, then have fun inside. Biggest threat to you is going to be golden dragons (The blazes are you doing without rPois?) and titans (airstrike hurts), possibly the yaktaur packs. Shadow dragons are easy to drop so long as you've got rN+++. You're probably able to melee tenticular monstrosities to death, so no big if they make a show. Other than that... It's not that bad, though, so long as you're careful.

[...]i had no fire resistance i couldn't do zot[...]
You don't do Zot 5 without at least rF++ (you want rF+++) and rElec. If you do, you will be murdered unless you, specifically, are blessed by every benevolent god in any and every existence that both is and could possibly be. You are not so blessed. Either an orb of fire or electric golem will kill you. Find at least rF++ and rElec before doing Zot. They don't necessarily have to be going at the same time, but you need both on immediately accessible (read, jewelry or buff spells) swap, for when you run into an appropriate critter.

Focus armor, fighting, and shields. Possibly open maces and flails back up for XP, so you can hit harder.. You might want to start feeding more XP into spellcasting, if for no other reason than getting swiftness and summong butterflies reliable. Repel missiles would also be tremendously useful, even for a heavy armor/shield critter. Swap out that sustenance ring for something useful. Either the pantheism or liberty randarts, probably. Maybe the fire rPois one, but you don't want cold vulnerability going into vault 8 (Golden dragons can breath cold. They will, if you're in there and vulnerable.).

Have you checked the shops that might have food? Dump's saying there might be two of 'em, on orc and vault 4.

S'all I can offer.

E: Oh, except this! See if you can't hunt up a vorpalise scroll... and maybe one of the branding spells. You only need to get it off once, to further improve your already awesome scourge. P.S. Slime will ruin most of your equipment, more likely than not. Don't go in there.

I just put the ring of sustenance on when I am travel back through previously cleared areas... otherwise I have several much better rings to pick from.... one of which gives rPoison!  but yeah I guess I can go try to tackle v8 unless I get a better idea before tomorrow... I'm a real sucker tho I've got like a dozen jewelry being carried around to waste turns swapping into the ideal combo, mostly because even by best items are only situation-ally better than my worst ones i can only cover all my resistances decently by constantly trying to swap into the best setup for that particular resistance
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:05:02 am by namad »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44