Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76111 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #525 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:50 am »

So, I decided to have a go at playing some of the "unloved" combos with the lowest scores, and found DDIE almost right at the bottom.

That ought to play a bit like a weaker DDEE, so I'm giving it a go, and so far it's not going too badly. I got off to a pretty rough start and had to sacrifice quite a few MP to recharge my wand of healing. Even after I worshipped Makhleb, I was taking damage faster than I could heal it.

Then I found a bookshop with almost all the books my KeFE desperately wanted but never found (Annihilations, Sky, Summonings)... and a book of Necromancy.

With Vampiric Draining, healing has got a lot easier, so I think this guy has a chance.

Still, at the speed I play, I'm not sure I'll even have time to get to the end of the game before the tournament ends (assuming I survive that long...)

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 23, 2011, 09:44:28 am »

Yeah, I saw that you were playing this combo. That's a pretty daring combo, I like it.

My SETm if going on nicely, I've never really given Kiku a shot, or Necromancy in general (even DDNe I struggle with) but it's actually quite awesome. The gifts come very early (especially compared to Vehumet), a few zombie meat shield can make a tough enemy a pushover and you even get recall to leave your zombies behind (so they don't steal xp) and Recall them when you need help. If I don't screw this up, that guy has pretty much all it needs to destroy everything in its path (just got Swiftness+Flight+Repel Missile and have Controlled blink and Necromutation waiting so I'm pretty much set). Also, I can't wait to meet Mennas and Torment him to death.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 23, 2011, 09:47:06 am »

Hmm, not sure holy creatures are affected by torment. (Though it is a great way to deal with the royal jelly.)

Just melee him with blade hands.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:00 am »

Well, I'll see when I meet him but it's more of a revenge thing anyway. Can't torment those damn fiends and greater mummies so Mennas is the next best thing. I'm not so sure about meleeing him though, I'm still quite fragile and he hits hard, although probably not harder that a hasted, mighted, blade handed Transmuter.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:57 am »

I've set my sights on this Nemelex combo- DDEn.  I'm playing it somewhat like a SpEn, except with more damage shaving and less speed.  I'll be going Kiku certainly for early book and late pain brand (hopefully on a quick blade- yummy.)

I'm eating it a lot though, especially when I run into player ghosts.  I'll get this worked out...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:34 am »

So, I decided to have a go at playing some of the "unloved" combos with the lowest scores, and found DDIE almost right at the bottom.

That ought to play a bit like a weaker DDEE, so I'm giving it a go, and so far it's not going too badly. I got off to a pretty rough start and had to sacrifice quite a few MP to recharge my wand of healing. Even after I worshipped Makhleb, I was taking damage faster than I could heal it.

Then I found a bookshop with almost all the books my KeFE desperately wanted but never found (Annihilations, Sky, Summonings)... and a book of Necromancy.

With Vampiric Draining, healing has got a lot easier, so I think this guy has a chance.

Still, at the speed I play, I'm not sure I'll even have time to get to the end of the game before the tournament ends (assuming I survive that long...)
I'm also playing a DDIE (of Elyvilon). Exp level 18 on Shoals: 4, and I'm considering having a go at the rune: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/frankhovis/frankhovis.txt

I've found a book of earth, so heaping a load of exp into Earth magic for Shatter may be a good idea. Ozocubu's refrigeration is my current area effect spell of choice - pretty good synergy with DDIE as with a healing stick I don't need to carry any potions.

Swamp:4 has Mennas - I don't suppose he would be neutral to a good-god worshipper? I'm wondering if I could take him down in a stand up fight - I have Axes 16, the mithril axe Arga (war axe with speed brand, +10 +6), and potentially +6 DAM from slaying rings. Throw in a potion of speed, and my damage output should give him pause for thought. Defence wise, I could improve my chances by throwing some exp into Translocations to get Phase Shift castable (+8 EV), that would bring my buffed defences to AC26, EV26, SH30.

edit: The main problem I have is playing too slow, and getting too easily distracted. Yesterday was a good day, as I managed to clear 3 levels of Shoals. The trouble is, I need to average about six levels a day from now on to have a chance at finishing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:22:09 am by baruk »

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 23, 2011, 10:25:56 am »

I'm trying Nemelex combo, DDEn.  I'm surprised he's survived this long.  I've only found 2 books.  Zero earth, and 1 useless necro spell.  Hopefully I can survive long enough to find some.  Right now I'm wishing I had picked Kiku instead of Makhleb.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 23, 2011, 10:31:19 am »

I know that Mennas and holy beings in general are neutral to TSO worshipers with high piety but I don't know about Zin and Elyvion. If he isn't, you can probably take him on but he will still hurt and if it goes badly you'll need haste or swiftness+flight to get out. Teleportation works too but you can't read scrolls under silence so it's either using a wand or waiting for the gap between recasts, during which he hits you, hard. Also you can't use Invocation either during his silence, wand or potions only.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:32:55 am by Alg »

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 23, 2011, 11:26:14 am »

Actually, I think Mennas is quite difficult to take on in melee for almost anyone, because he is as fast as you even if you are hasted, and is very good at blocking with a large shield (which I think he always has.)

Sometimes he will drop the shield and pick up a 2-handed weapon instead, which actually makes him easier to kill, but really if you are set on killing him, the best way is to wait til you are uber-powerful then nuke him with fire/ice storm or spam high level summons.

As far as DDIEs go - I am also wondering if it's a good idea to start learning earth magic - I've found quite a few good earth spells in bookshops, but they are all in different books and I can't afford more than one of them. So I decided to buy Wizardry (for haste) now and see what else I find.

An area spell would be useful, but I haven't found Ozo's Refrigeration. I'm thinking about getting Freezing Cloud, but a DD doesn't exactly have the best aptitudes for it.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 23, 2011, 01:20:09 pm »

Swamp:4 has Mennas - I don't suppose he would be neutral to a good-god worshipper? I'm wondering if I could take him down in a stand up fight - I have Axes 16, the mithril axe Arga (war axe with speed brand, +10 +6), and potentially +6 DAM from slaying rings. Throw in a potion of speed, and my damage output should give him pause for thought. Defence wise, I could improve my chances by throwing some exp into Translocations to get Phase Shift castable (+8 EV), that would bring my buffed defences to AC26, EV26, SH30.

Yeah, he's friendly-neutral to good-god worshipers.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:35 pm »

I recommend high-level summons against Mennas. I think I killed him with Greater Demons once.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 23, 2011, 02:20:25 pm »

Against Mennas, there's pretty much 2 options :
-Ruuuuuuuuuuuun!!!!!
-Throw everything you got at him. If that means burning most of you piety to get 4 of Trog's Brother in Arms, that's fine, piety comes back, your life does not (well, unless you're a felid). Wands can be recharged, you can find potions again, but if you hold back against him, you WILL die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »

Manged to kill Mennas with haunt, at one point, on one of the sprint maps.

... it took a lot of ghosts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »

i don't think i've ever died to him, but it always gets way too close. he's very strong.

i wanted to get a last win during the weekend before getting back to work on monday, but i lost a great SEEE in zot:5 to a badly placed moth of wrath (who was *very* far away dammit) and an ancient lich in the vaults next to the orb. i could cast shatter at great with two sources of wizardry in +8 dragon armour, was doing most of the fighting with blade hands and iron shot, and the only reason i hadn't memorized necromutation yet was that i was waiting for two more spell slots and i didn't really need it for zot. i had all i needed for a 15-runer, save for abjuration (and i had 5 or 6 scrolls of acquirement around to have a hand at the lottery). too damn bad. i think that ends my participation this summer, because i can't afford the time for another long game at the speed i usually play (which is why i suscribed to the brewers). great fun though.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2011, 03:37:00 pm »

my DDHe is in SERIOUS TROUBLE... i was doing totally fine and had cleared lair hive swamp shoal vault7 elf4 crypt2 and then irc convinced me to abandon my god and worship TSO to get a holy scourge weapon to use since i wasn't satisfied with my current whip...

well... with elf1-4already cleared and crypt1-2 already cleared... i only got up to 5stars after clearing crypt and now i'm STUCK i even spend like 5000-15000turns waiting around elf and crypt for more spawns but i'm still short! (all thats left now in crypt and vault are like 2or3 enemies an ancient lich and a pair of elf demonolists that i dont want to face)... i tried doing the tomb but without my healer abilities i just flat out cannot do it...

irc says i should go to the abyss but i'm terrified! i could waste another 30,000turns and all my hive food trying to scum crypt for a few more spawns but i still might not make it... OR i could just go back to elvyion and forget about all my wasted dozen or two healing charges and my wasted time and turns and hive food :(

thoughts?

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.9/namad/namad.txt

i'm so sad about how STUCK I am that i barely wanna play... i wish I had never changed gods and just gone through elf and crypt with EASE and saved myself tons of turns and food and time and like 4max mp or so.... then again for all i know i'm ONE skeleton kill away from having an uber weapon (my 18scrolls of enchant weapon should assure it's nearly a +9+9holy scourage as opposed to my current +5+5whip of cold resistance and see invis and slashing)

I feel like such an idiot for listening to all those people who said it was really easy to raise tso piety!!!! I've wasted like half my perma food and run out of monsters to easily fight ... pan,hell,abyss,tomb all feel very scary... oh another thing... I spammed off like 4 cleansing fires to clear crypt4 figuring there'd be plenty of monsters left to make up the piety loss.... BOY WAS I WRONG

everyone on IRC just says, lol noob go to abyss it's SO EASY... but... I cannot cast swiftform unless I'm naked, so where exactly does that leave me?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:42:35 pm by namad »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44