Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76131 times)

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2011, 10:02:20 pm »

I just got my 1st win for 0.9. Man, I've gotten rusty. I lost twice in a row with easy combos. Oh, well. Bay12 Champs is closing in on 4th place!

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 21, 2011, 11:47:54 pm »

Dr.Feelgood! Congrats! Woohoo!

Akhier: Summon Ice Beast only costs you a sultana of hunger, so that should let you clear the whole Lair if you are careful. Pump spellcasting so you can cast Summon Ugly Things with low hunger, and after you clear the Lair, start looking for the Vaults. Ugly things will let you clear most of the Vaults.

I usually don't bother with spider form or summon elemental. If I'm an elementalist I will use summon elemental to good effect, but a summoner has better options for summons.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2011, 01:13:29 am »

Code: [Select]
Nikola comes into view. He is wielding a runed sabre.
Nikola gestures wildly while chanting.
You hear a mighty clap of thunder!
The lightning arc hits you!
Ouch! That really hurt!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The lightning arc hits Nikola. The lightning arc hits you!
You die...

Well crap :( Still, that was a good run for my first ever SpVM.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2011, 02:02:27 am »

do you get 5points each time you kill any unique? or just every time you kill a new unique? let's say i kill sigmund 5times on 5different playthroughs do i get 5points or 25?

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 22, 2011, 02:27:26 am »

you just get 5points for the first time you kill a unique

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 22, 2011, 02:59:31 am »

Yep, only the first time, otherwise you could just grind points easily by chain-killing all the early "easy" uniques like Ijyb, Jessica, Terence...

Congrats Dr Feelgood. Now, the team in the 4th place has only 4 wins and we have 6 but they have three 15-runes wins, which racks up a lot of points.

For some reason the best SETm has only gotten to lvl 16, despite the fact that it's one of the easiest combo (and a combo that leaves nasty, nasty ghosts behind). I guess people assume that they are overplayed and no one bothers to actually win one. I think my next goal is a 15-runes win SETm, wish me luck  :P

Also, Dr Feelgood, how did abandoning Trog went? I checked your morgue and apparently there has been some really weird things going on on D7. I guess you waited for the wrath to end (levitating over water i'd wager) with a amulet of faith to rack up piety of TSO but what's with all the changing monsters?

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2011, 05:15:24 am »

Also, Dr Feelgood, how did abandoning Trog went? I checked your morgue and apparently there has been some really weird things going on on D7. I guess you waited for the wrath to end (levitating over water i'd wager) with a amulet of faith to rack up piety of TSO but what's with all the changing monsters?

It was easy. I just hid in a tunnel with a weak skeleton next to me. I gained a lot of piety from TSO (4 stars) by just waiting with the amulet of faith. It also causes Trog to punish you more often. Giants can swim in deep water, though you can levitate over lava with no trouble. The monsters is what happens when you hang around a level too long. Lots of out-of-depth spawns (glowing shapeshifters, stone giants, etc.). I switched because I wanted to go for 15 runes, but I lacked a few important items and I didn't feel like scumming for stuff in the Abyss.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2011, 05:55:44 am »

Oh, so that was a glowing shapeshifter. I thought that was it but I was pretty sure that Trog's wrath didn't summon this and I forgot about the very OOD spawn when you wait too long. Isn't the skeleton method dangerous though? I would be paranoid about a Titan spawn of some monster that fire its spells through other monsters, and not noticing it in time.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:46 am »

Most monsters don't attack through others. Only one monster did and I killed it. Boring beetles were more troublesome.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:43:33 am by Dr.Feelgood »

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 22, 2011, 08:10:07 am »

Just lost another character in Zot.  :'(

Any idea what scoring (if any) while apply to "in progress" characters when the tournament ends? I'm so annoyed that I can't face slogging through the early dungeon again and am going to have to take a break for a few days. By the time I get back to playing, the tournament will be nearly over and I doubt I will have time to play a complete winning game, so I'm just wondering if characters that are halfway through when the tournament ends will count for anything.

lerugray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:41 am »

Can anyone tell me how to get the morgue files of my character if im using webtiles? would be appreciated!

seems like web tiles is down at least for me at the moment. I have a sweet DSEE going. turning into more of a fighter that can blast people behind walls. the gigantic spikes aren't bad either.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 22, 2011, 08:41:07 am »

Can anyone tell me how to get the morgue files of my character if im using webtiles? would be appreciated!

For you, Here or Here for the tournament

Also, sorry for you Moron, that's really harsh losing not one but 2 characters in Zot in the lapse of a few days. I'm usually extra careful in Zot (which probably makes my games horribly boring to watch) but it can always happen. Lost a lvl 27 DrEE to a paralyzing-fiend summoning ancient lich the other day, it hurts.
The best way to deal with it is not to take a break, it's to take revenge on the game and humiliate it. After my draconian died, I almost immediately ascended a 3-runes DgTm. Since that wasn't nearly enough to appease my rage, I chained it with a 15-runes SpVM and THEN that poor Draconian was properly avenged. So go and rip that damn game a new one, that'll teach him!

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 22, 2011, 10:31:03 am »

Will training spell casting or armor overcome the spell casting penalty for wearing heavy armor? One of my characters just got a randart scale mail.
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 22, 2011, 10:42:16 am »

Armour does reduce the spellcasting penalty of armour...to a certain extent. Spellcasting does not reduce the penalty but increases your ability to cast spell in general so it does help you overcome that penalty. Even with 27 Armour, don't expect to cast high level spell in heavy armour though, unless it's Pearl Dragon Armour (which is pretty much the awesomest awesome thing ever for a hybrid).

That said, unless your randart has some really kickass properties it probably isn't worth the investement.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 22, 2011, 10:49:09 am »

I've got a felid summoner who has just started the Lair.  It's quite interesting, especially since I have found zero useful spellbooks other than another summoning book (Book of beasts, so mostly overlap except Summon Hydra- is it any good?) and a tmut book- not a single offensive spell, charm, or hex.  I'm relying entirely on summoning except with a light backup of unarmed combat.  I didn't get spider form (even though I had the book)- I'm thinking that might be something to go back and get for the EV bonus more than the poison.  It's not like I'll be missing any melded armor.

I'm at 5* of Vehumet piety, so I should get Summonings soon- that'll help me finish up the Lair.  Further D exploration is hindered by Nessos.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44