Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76180 times)

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2011, 07:34:20 pm »

Unless I was drunk last night without knowing about it, I played on CAO.  I have played on CDO in the past, though.

It's possible that any combination of us was indeed drunk, but at least vogonpoetB12 plays on CDO. :)

Probably I just jumped up and down lines while reading who was playing where...

Sablis

• Bay Watcher
  • New account - Yunor
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2011, 12:00:51 am »

Let us honor the dead! For this MiGl has not died in vain!

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Yunor/morgue-Yunor-20110814-223051.txt
:(

Yes, I died with 15 runes.
And yes, I died on the Orb Run. *facepalm*

Biggest highlight: 119892 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: You do not heal naturally.
Big thanks to Un67 -- if he wasn't always nagging me, I would have died much earlier.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2011, 12:10:40 am »

Ochita and MaxWhite are still missing from the Miners.

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2011, 12:34:18 am »

i was actual told about this game a few weeks ago but i still don't get what these "tournaments" are.

explanation?
Have a wonderful day

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56:05 am »

Basically folks getting together into teams and having at the game, trying to achieve various goals for points.

It's really just an excuse to get folks together and really focus on playing the game, throwing in a lil'competition to spice up the process. Something to drum up some exposure for the new version and get folks into it.

There's no real rewards to it, outside of some banners or whatever. Just folks comin' together to have some fun, in a somewhat more organized manner than usual.

Plus it increases the odds of being able to watch some of the genuinely masterful players work their magic. CAO/CDO's observer feature is pretty bloody awesome, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2011, 01:11:35 am »

About CDO:

Just to reassure any one on this side of the pond (thats the right hand side, aka the east), the CDO server is fine for playing in the Tourney: The current Trunk build has been reverted to 0.9, so just go ahead and hit 't' on the menu and 'p'lay (I think they intend to release 0.9 soon, and have Trunk as 0.10 or whatever. but right now Trunk = 0.9). Before that though, you will need to sign up on CAO with the same username, as its the CAO rcfile that gets read to establish whether or not you are in a team.

So for the moment:
1. Register with CAO and CDO with the same user name.
2. Edit rcfile on CAO with #TEAMCAPTAIN nameofteamcaptain
3. Play 'T'runk to hearts content on CDO.
4. ???
5. Profit.

I tried a few games on CAO, but from here (Serbia) the lag was pretty horrid, it was giving me a headache watching the screen jerk around all the time.

Also, for the record, I have been restricted so far to playing my few games sober, nor am I sure I will be able to find time for heavy drunken play later :(. Just call me a stinky elf.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:02 am »

I swear to god I kept hearing Benny Hill as I was running from groups of strong enemies with my Spriggan Stalker. I was trying to get down to Hive for food so I could clear out Orc. Admittedly that was probably the farthest floorwise I've gotten.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2011, 03:09:03 am »

I swear to god I kept hearing Benny Hill as I was running from groups of strong enemies with my Spriggan Stalker. I was trying to get down to Hive for food so I could clear out Orc. Admittedly that was probably the farthest floorwise I've gotten.

All Spriggans are born with MP3 players embedded into their skulls playing the Benny Hill theme on repeat. Their beating hearts are the batteries.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 15, 2011, 03:51:40 am »

Let us honor the dead! For this MiGl has not died in vain!

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Yunor/morgue-Yunor-20110814-223051.txt
:(

Yes, I died with 15 runes.
And yes, I died on the Orb Run. *facepalm*

Biggest highlight: 119892 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: You do not heal naturally.
Big thanks to Un67 -- if he wasn't always nagging me, I would have died much earlier.

Ouch.

I'd heard they made the orb run harder in 0.9 but didn't know it was hard enough to kill characters who can get 15 runes.

Edit: Also, I still don't get how people play so fast. In my current game, after around 7 hours, I'm on D:14, having cleared Lair, Orc and Hive. I've been using autoexplore, and have been playing as fast as seems reasonable, while still actually making decisions about what to do next rather than just run towards every monster. Winning the game in 7 hours, never mind 3-4 hours just seems crazy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:55:13 am by Moron »

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 15, 2011, 05:02:37 am »

some people just play very fast. you can spectate if you want to figure out how they do it, but in my experience there's not much to learn, they just go very fast.

besides autoexplore, autofight helps a bit too: when you're fighting a bunch of rats or something like that just hit the tab key (don't hold it, though). i think there's also a key to repeat the last action which may be helpful to conjurers and the like but it does more harm than good in my fancy european keyboard.

edit: i can't play for shit, and i've already splatted two decent characters. it's too goddamn hot. i think i'll just go to the beach.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2011, 05:59:00 am »

Aaaargh. Hellfire and Damnation  >:(

Of all the combos I could get find this awesome amulet on the floor with, I have to find it with a vampire wizard:

U - the amulet of the Six Demons (Gourm +Blink rPois SInv).

I mean really.

Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:02 am »

I tried a few games on CAO, but from here (Serbia) the lag was pretty horrid, it was giving me a headache watching the screen jerk around all the time.

Wow. I tried it and what a difference! CAO does lag a lot from Europe. Thanks for the tip.  :)

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35:19 am »

I could use some advice from the expert crawlers, i just found lair for the first time, what do i do. should i attempt to raid it now or wait for poison resistance

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2011, 11:46:16 am »

I could use some advice from the expert crawlers, i just found lair for the first time, what do i do. should i attempt to raid it now or wait for poison resistance

What are you playing/wielding/wearing?

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:10 am »

Note: I'm far from an expert crawler.

Poison resistance isn't an absolute requirement, it just makes everything a lot less risky. For the Lair, I usually care more about methods to escape battles. You can get easily surrounded in the open areas and then there are the hydras -- You'll definitely need a method to deal with them. Komodo dragons are an early headache that weaker characters need to avoid getting into melee with. Stay close to stairs if you're unsure about anything.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44