Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76116 times)

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2011, 06:01:00 am »

ah i have to add... my username is ajikeshi

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2011, 06:03:33 am »

I've never played this, how similiar is this to nethack?

In the grand scope of things, I guess it's quite similar.  But when I think about the two, all I see are the differences.

Crawl has an elaborate skill system, which you have to manage well because your xp is a limited resource until the very end of the game.  There's no Ascension Kit. At the end you'll likely have a mix of randomly generated artefacts and branded equipment which will be different every game (there are a few exceptions).

Crawl is bigger; far more optional areas, and has two realms which are infinite.  Plus Crawl has a HUGE set of predefined vaults/layouts, which show up randomly.  And Crawl offers a wide range of gameplay with different race/class combinations.  And it's still in active development ;)

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2011, 08:08:37 am »

I've played other rougelikes. Never this, but I guess I'll give it a try...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:25:30 am by Ullallulloo »

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2011, 08:26:04 am »

I've played a bit on CAO. 1 rune is the best so far. Though the last time I played was on 0.7, need to check out how the new stuff works. I could join some team if there's still room. The name is same over at CAO as here, huhu.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:59 am »

I'm definitely in; I've played and ascended in Nethack a number of times but my experience in Crawl is... Dubious. My name at CAO is FailWStyle

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2011, 10:22:40 am »

Ok, I added all the new people, and created a new intermediate team: The Masons. If one of the Miners wants to bump up to Mason level, then we'll have the Miners team complete.

Edit: Haulers filled up, and I bumped VogonPoet up to Masons, putting both teams at 6. Let me know if anyone wants to shuffle around.

What are you experienced folks planning to play? I like getting obscure combos, so I will probably be trying sub-optimal classes, but I will probably play some powerful combos first to make a good showing. I died an awful lot on my old account, so I'm creating a fresh account. Dr.Feelgood's amazing 45% win rate has given me something to aspire to. I'll be happy with a 10% win rate.

Possible unusual combos: MiEn, HOTm, Human anything.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:41:29 am by Taxus »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2011, 10:26:02 am »

Add me, name on CAO is Porter.

You can put me in masons, one win in offline, and i often get 3+ runes.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2011, 11:19:00 am »

Right now I have a pretty good KoBe who's plowed through the early half of the middle-game with a demon whip of anti-magic awesomeness. If I can pull a win with him, I'll try to get one with a spellcaster in this tormentor tournament.

EDIT: Spellcheck fail >.> It's oddly appropriate though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:20:55 am by Un67 »

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2011, 11:35:03 am »

Its probably a little too hopeful to think that .9 webtiles will be out before the tourney, or has anyone heard differently?

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2011, 11:37:56 am »

I'll probably play a SpEn (Kiku) first.  (Use Shadow Creatures on Zot5.)  IMO that is by far the easiest and quickest way to a win.  Then I'll probably do a HEWz (Vehumet).  Then maybe a HaBe.  I'm also thinking about SEEE and DDNe.  HOPr is probably the easiest way to win, but managing your followers is time consuming and a pain.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2011, 11:39:45 am »

The plan is to get the 0.9 webtiles ready for the tourney when 0.9 will be officially released (current official Crawl being always 0.8.1) for the tourney :
Quote from: the webtiles dev
In other news, Webtiles has been merged into trunk, which will make it easier to maintain in the long term and means you'll be playing the official version when we add trunk builds and/or when 0.9 is released.

Remember that not only winning will give points for your team, it can happen by :
-killing uniques
-killing ghosts
-getting the highest score in a specific combo (obviously the less popular a combo is, the more chance you'll have to keep the highest score even if you don't win with it, and so getting the points coming with it)
-getting a rune (or more)

That's a great design for such a tournament with this kind of difficult game as it allows the majority of the players, that will not get a win, to have their games mattering for their teams, so don't despair if you can't get to Zot, your game are giving points to your team.

Taxus, it appears i will not have the time to play even irregularly this month, sorry, you can remove me from the idlers/brewers.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2011, 12:02:44 pm »

Yeah, even if you don't win, if you play often and do fairly well you'll add points to your team's score, I enjoyed how the last tourney was set up too.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2011, 12:34:19 pm »

I would love to play on a team.

I'm probably on the low end of intermediate. Sometimes I get far in lairs. Haven't gotten a rune yet.

On CAO I am Kavlax
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:15:38 pm by Kav »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »

Ok, I added all the new people, and created a new intermediate team: The Masons. If one of the Miners wants to bump up to Mason level, then we'll have the Miners team complete.

You may want to move me down to Masons and bump one of the rune-getters up to recruits.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:30 pm »

Okay... drakale, would you be ok with being a Recruit?

ed: Any Miners want to move up to Masons?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:15:57 pm by Taxus »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44