Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76102 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 03:12:07 am »

Brewers! Prone to bursts of activity, but on the whole usually inactive (at least in my forts.) :p

Also, how active is active?

Playing once a day or what?

Because I am notoriously unreliable with my playtimes.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 04:38:30 am »

So yeah, I just realised this is Bay12, and that people who play DF might have a slightly different definition of active to me... I would be happy to get to the Lair with 3 or 4 different characters over a three week tourney, and to kill tens of sad sacks before the temple rather than hundreds, so that probably puts me in a 'Lower Intermediate Idler' category.

In the last tourney a few months back I never even got a Lair Banner, but that's mainly due to the fact that I forgot to hit '1' instead of 'T' at start up, and therefore played most of my games at the time in Trunk. Must remind myself not to do that this time round...
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:28 am »

I'd be quite happy to be bumped down an experience tier if it's full at the top. I still tend to take unnecessary risks a lot. :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 06:27:19 am »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Unteaching the lessons that were hammered into you since you started gaming. You no not need to face everything the game throws at you.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2011, 08:33:12 am »

If the tournament scoring is similar to last time, you don't have to win to get a reasonable score; you can get points for things like killing uniques and player ghosts, or getting the highest (game) score for obscure species/background combos.

The downside of this is that it tends to reward quantity over quality - eg if you play 100 games where you get to the temple then die, but kill a few ghosts or uniques on the way each time, you could end up with more points than someone who plays 1 game and wins.

Anyway, if there are a lot of players in the expert category, I'd quite happily drop down a level, as I should be able to play a reasonable amount during the tournament, but can't guarantee I'll be able to spend as much time as some people.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2011, 10:03:31 am »

If the tournament scoring is similar to last time, you don't have to win to get a reasonable score; you can get points for things like killing uniques and player ghosts, or getting the highest (game) score for obscure species/background combos.

The downside of this is that it tends to reward quantity over quality - eg if you play 100 games where you get to the temple then die, but kill a few ghosts or uniques on the way each time, you could end up with more points than someone who plays 1 game and wins.

Anyway, if there are a lot of players in the expert category, I'd quite happily drop down a level, as I should be able to play a reasonable amount during the tournament, but can't guarantee I'll be able to spend as much time as some people.
... i kill about 6 spriggans, 6 kobolds and 3 draconians a day...  and i only count myself as semi active. what with work getting in the way of offline .9 / slowing progress on my webtiles .8 chars. averaging at death by D:6.
these are my favorite races. i am trying to get a good artificier and later turn him into a mage, which got a lot easier in .9
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2011, 10:14:38 am »

Okay, I took the list and sorted the top players in order of their reported number of wins. How about we make the Champions the "Multiple wins" team, and the Blacksmiths become the "1 win or thereabouts" team? Then we could add a new team for people who've had 2-3 runes, the Recruits.

I updated my original post with the current list - please let me know any suggested changes, because again, I'm not deciding the teams here, I'm just keeping track.

If you're in the #1 slot on a team, you may end up getting named team captain, which just means you have to add an extra line to your config file with your team members.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:04 am »

Hmm, how exactly do you edit rcfiles for CAO? Been trying to look it up and I've found zilch.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2011, 11:16:57 am »

Hmm, how exactly do you edit rcfiles for CAO? Been trying to look it up and I've found zilch.

After you select the version you're playing, but before you hit "P" to play crawl, hit "o" to edit options.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2011, 12:30:53 pm »

I've been playing for the first time online, with Webtiles. Lost a promising lvl 12 HEGl to overconfidence against a lindwurm, nothing new under the sun...

A question though : Is webtiles always that slow? If so, I think I'll give a shot to console, Webtiles lacks what I actually like in tiles anyway (the always visible mouse-usable inventory and the easy travel by clicking on map). Also, it may take a while for me to get used to not being able to use the mouse and see my inventory at all times, be it with webtiles or with console.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2011, 12:45:22 pm »

nevermind, I figured it out. I was using the .ppk file, which wouldn't work because I'm on linux and need the non-ppk file. problem solved.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2011, 02:03:00 pm »

nevermind, I figured it out. I was using the .ppk file, which wouldn't work because I'm on linux and need the non-ppk file. problem solved.

If you're on Linux, it's easier. Type the following in your terminal:
Code: [Select]
wget http://crawl.akrasiac.org/cao_key
chmod 400 cao_key
ssh -C -i cao_key -l joshua crawl.akrasiac.org

if you want to play on cdo, just change the last line to:
Code: [Select]
ssh -C -i cao_key -l crawl crawl.develz.org
and that's it.

it's all in here: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:05:09 pm by xczxc »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »

Sure, why not?

My Profile

Nothing too good- no runes, but best game took me to Vaults 7.  I've been to the lair maybe a dozen times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2011, 02:46:53 pm »

I listed you under the Miners Recruits, Toaster. If we want to settle on some teams, another Miner could bump up to Recruits, and we'd have both teams complete.

Debvon and drkpaladin, I wasn't sure where to put you - Debvon wanted to be in Blacksmiths. drkpaladin has 1 win, and Blacksmiths is shaping up to be the team for people with 1 win. If you are both Blacksmiths, then that team is complete and we have 1 available space on Champions for someone with multiple wins. Or one of you could be a Champion. Let me know where you'd like to be.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:31:50 pm by Taxus »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2011, 06:05:21 pm »

If it ends up being a space issue then I'm fine with moving to champions. I'm almost positive that there are better champion-level players here though, like if G-Flex decides to join (though from what he posted it doesn't seem like he will).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44