Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76080 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 02:01:50 pm »

I'm in! I'd probably be best described as Intermediate.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 02:09:24 pm »

Awesome, glad to see this thread :)

I only began playing Crawl a few months ago, and I guess I would fit best into an Intermediate team - I got the Snake Pit rune once with a KoBe, but my best casters are still at the "die somewhere during or just after clearing the Lair stage - for example, I had a great VaSu this week which cleared the Dire Nellies from Lair 8, only to die due to overconfidence when faced with a cyclops and a bunch of undead guarding the entrance to the Crypt on Vaults 3 (sure, three blink miscasts in a row with the spell at Very Good is maybe a bit unfortunate, I wanted to blame the RNG, but it was my fault really - training fighting is all very well, but its probably best not to do so without a nice gang of summons just round the corner).

So, sign up vogonpoet on the CDO server for an intermediate team please... also, be aware I probably won't be able to devote massive amounts of time, just some time :)
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »

haven't played version 9. reached the lair (and died in it) with a spriggan ice mage (putting stuff to sleep and stabbing it) :P anyway, going to play in intermediate if i get accustomed to 9 - downloading now.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »

Last year Toady posted a notice about the tournament on the Dev log. Does someone want to ask him about that again?

Also, someone mentioned that their account is on CDO. For tourney play, does a CDO account work, or does the account need to be on CAO? I'm not sure.

Here's who we have so far, with self-described experience levels:

experts:
taxus - some wins
ggeezz - handful of wins
Moron - won a few times
Alg - 15 wins
Soadreqm - one win

advanced:
Un67 - had 3 runes before
Wravburn - 3 runes

intermediate:
RexNex
VogonPoet - got one rune, can sometimes clear Lair
HachnSlay - reached Lair
Ochita - reached lair
Vherid - reached Lair

beginners:
Cheese
PsyberianHusky

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »

You can play on either CAO or CDO.  So accounts in either place will work.  They haven't posted the tournament site yet, but usually you have to enter something in your rcfile to join a team.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 02:47:44 pm »

Is it impolite to pressure Demos to play?  I was hoping for the best Bay12 showing yet!

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 02:51:51 pm »

Also, someone mentioned that their account is on CDO. For tourney play, does a CDO account work, or does the account need to be on CAO? I'm not sure.

AFAIK, in previous tournaments both CAO and CDO accounts worked (and Webtiles in the latest tournament.) I would assume it will be the same this time but I'm not certain

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 02:54:26 pm »

I've gotten to about D8, so could have theoretically found the lair. But I didn't.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:13:59 pm »

Off the first page already.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 04:30:42 pm »

I can probably throw in my time, though I imagine it'll be trading off with T4 and life commitments more than in last year's tourney. I've won once, in the last tourney, but it was with an SpEn of Nemmie. Not sure how much that actually counts for anything, especially as said tournament was the last time I really played crawl for anything except to see the trunk changes and gripe about them a bit :P

Still, if some team needs a warm body, I'll join that one. I technically qualify for expert, but advanced or intermediate would probably be more accurate, especially as I probably won't be giving 110%, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 04:35:55 pm »

Nah, pass this time. I've lost interest in DCSS except for the once or twice a week I might play it when I have 5 minutes.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »

Hi folks! There's a Dungeon Crawl tournament to celebrate the release of 0.9! Tournament starts in just over a week - August 13 to August 28. If you haven't played 0.9 yet, I encourage you to check it out. There's a new skill system that eliminates the exp pool and victory dancing, and it's pretty slick.

We need 6 players per team, so let's see who's in and figure out how many teams we're putting up! Last year we had 4 teams representing Bay12, and we really gave them what-for. This year's tournament is only 16 days, so it's less of a time commitment.

If you'd like to play, let us know your experience level. Here were the divisions last year:

Expert (Bay12 Champions): Win or multiple runes.
Advanced (Bay12 Blacksmiths): A rune or close to one.
Intermediate (Bay12 Miners): Reached the Lair
Beginner (Bay12 Soapers): Reached the Temple

wow, new version already? Cool. I started playing less that 2 weeks ago, and my best character is currently at "the tomb". With "The temple" you mean the ecumenical one?. Anyways, I think I will stay aside to give room for the more experience people here, unless there is a lack of manpower.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 04:44:03 pm »

I've been waiting for the new tournament, I didn't get a win during the last tourney, but shortly afterwards I got my first 4 rune win with troll chaos knight of Xom.  http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.8/DrkPaladin/morgue-DrkPaladin-20110619-170756.txt   Let's school them Bay12 style!

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 05:41:20 pm »

CAO name: frankhovis
I had one win in last year's tournament, and got 2 runes in the May 2011 tournament. However, I'm a very slow player, so I doubt I will be able to get a win in 2 weeks - I may be better suited to Blacksmiths rather than Experts.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 06:36:05 pm »

Last year Toady posted a notice about the tournament on the Dev log. Does someone want to ask him about that again?
Last year I just sent him a short e-mail that went something like this:

What mostly made me e-mail you though is the Crawl Tournament that's starting again tomorrow on August 1st. We managed to form four active 6-players teams of Bay12 forumites this year convinced to at minimum repeat the success of last year (that had our one active team placed 5th). It might be fun for people to see how we're faring through the month and cheer us on. So, if you'd like to include a kind of community announcement on the dev blog about the Tournament, that would be great.

Here's the Tournament thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61779.0
And here's the team list of the tournament as it stands: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/tourney10/teams.html

LASD

I could e-mail him again, but I think you Taxus should get the credit as you made the thread.

I'm still on the fence if I should join the teams or not. My May Tournament participation was way less than satisfactory.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:38:54 pm by LASD »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44