Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76130 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #480 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »

I don't actually really use the long sword, its just the highest enchanted item I have. It started quite decent and then when I was testing scrolls it got hit with both I, II, and III bumping it up a to its present form. Venom dagger though has merits as it causes poison and all. I also have some random weapons stored at temple. Mostly stuff like poison weapons and such because I would pick up any weapons that identified and worried me that they may be picked up by an enemy and used against me. Thanks for the tip on draining though, I did not know it lost me xp.

As for orc versus lair, I actually find orc easier for me. Till the fourth floor when I hit a sorcerer cluster everything but the priests was easily screened by some dogs and ice beasts. Most of the guys in orc tend not to blink around so they don't get behind my summons. Lair has all kinds of nasty tricks in it, or maybe I just suck at lair. I do agree I should go back and do it though I probably would have forgotten about it if you had not mentioned it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 20, 2011, 11:57:36 pm »

so far I'm having a lot of trouble playing ASCII because there is no minimap...

and i'm having a lot of trouble playing webtiles because it's .... SOOOO LAGGY ! and buggy! it freezes... runs slow... stops responding, ick ... now i know why people prefer online ascii over online webtiles...

only scored 19points my first day :( i did start a week late though so... hopefully I'll score some more in the upcoming week, and maybe webtiles will lag less or I'll adjust to playing without a minimap and checking the map function more often so i don't get lost...

how do you do a character dump like that? also... you know too many summoning spells which are often redundant across eachother being similar ... and like others have said you need more utility spells
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:01:39 am by namad »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 21, 2011, 12:24:03 am »

Actually, each summon spell has a fairly distinct usage, similar to how the varying conj spells progress and differ. You can get by as a summoner using only and entirely summoning spells, it'd just be a bit harder than if you diversify a bit. The only real overlap in Akhier's spell list was, maybe, summon elemental and ice beast, and spammals and butterflies.

Even with those, though, there's distinct usages and scenarios where one is more useful than the other. Summon elemental can be much more versatile than ice beast if you've got the elemental schools to call multiple types safely, ferex.

Spammals and butterflies both fill the 'arrowcatcher' slot, but spammals have the distinction of occasionally taking more than one hit to kill and actually attacking things, while being less effective as arrowcatchers qua arrowcatchers.

Even canine familiar has a particular use to it, namely as one of the harder hitting low-tier summon spells (via wardogs/wargs and hounds, to a lesser degree). The only reason I suggest dumping it now is because call imp is more likely to produce something semi-difficult to kill, and has better utility via shadow imp undead raising, and the hit-hard summon slot is filled by ice beast, ugly thing, and possibly shadow creatures (if Akh's in the right area.).

Summon elemental has to go, though. Akh's not got a single elemental school high enough to reliably summon any of them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #483 on: August 21, 2011, 12:46:44 am »

Butterflies are the best arrow catchers as it summons a lot of them so even if the opponents are knocking a few out a turn you can still fill the area. Mammals is more of a corridor delay tactic at this point as well as random back up to fill in any gaps in the wall while low on mana. Canines are a hungry mans ice beasts right now as I can cast it without any hunger. Imps are more of a joker card and I prefer not relying on them, especially not for locking down enemies as the normal type blinks but to offset that the ice ones have a ranged attack and the shadow imps raise the dead which being raised and not summoned actually stay around till killed. The elemental summoning is just random and I think I used it at some point after falling down a shaft to shortcut to some stairs. Ice beasts are what I use the most at the moment though shadow creatures basically made Hive 2 easy mode as each casting generally summoned 3 to 6 bees. Ugly things where good in Hive before I got the god gift book with shadow creatures, the only thing is that it would occasionally summon hostile ugly things, is that only temporary till I get some skill high enough or is there always that chance?
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 21, 2011, 12:53:59 am »

It'll always have that chance, though the chance probably reduces with spellpower. Higher spellpower mostly gives a chance to summon a very ugly thing instead.

Anyway, here's the numbers on summon elemental. You really don't want to be casting that right now :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #485 on: August 21, 2011, 12:57:33 am »

Meh, poor mans digging implement. If I remember right I think I used it to get around a yak herd. One earth elemental was small stuff compared to a lot of yaks spread out in a very big room.

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 21, 2011, 05:23:19 am »

i stayed up all night playing and webtiles isn't lagging anymore ...maybe its time of day dependent the lag? anyways i've almost cleared the lair for the first time in the tournament now this character is feeling pretty invisible with 30ac and damage shaving and nearly full elvyion piety only issue is i've been chugging my perma food like a madman fortunately I can always do the hive (trying to find rP before I go though)  I've had many near deaths but this character has more defense than any other character i've played so far offline or online

feel free to give me some playtips while I am away from my computer for my next play session... I've got a crummy book of ice and unread book a book of spatial somethings, and some assorted scrolls/potions/permafood oh and an artifact sling back in a stash somewhere (i'm working up apportion so I can strip down and use it to get a couple items from one spot i've already found that requires either dig or apportation... not sure I plan to branch out into any spellcasting normally at all ever tho because this plate armor is kinda fun so far)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:49:08 pm by namad »

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 21, 2011, 05:49:32 am »

Reading the Summoner discussion here yesterday, I decided to try a Kenku and a Felid Summoner. Kenku wasn't too bad, but died a bit too easily. Even a few levels in, mediocre enemies could still one-shot him with some luck. Felid went a bit better already. It's easy to spam high-level summons when you can eat chunks anytime. I suppose there will be problems with the resistances later, but at least early on it seems like the easiest Felid class I've yet tried. Bit like a DE with trading some magic and almost all equipment for some melee ability, covering ground more quickly, and the ease of eating. There are some additional downsides too, like the slower leveling rate. All elemental and poison magic have a negative affinity, just like Invocations. I'll try to work around that by focusing on Necromancy/Translocations/Hexes in addition to Summoning (depending on spell books found), and signing up at the church of Vehumet. At least Dodging and Stealth have very good affinities.

Shadow Imp was more amusing than I thought at first:
Code: [Select]
Here: Sigmund the human zombie, wielding a scythe and wearing an embroidered robe (friendly)               
_Floor.                                                                                                     
_Sigmund barely misses the snake. Sigmund closely misses the snake. The snake bites Sigmund.               
 The snake bites Sigmund.                                                                                   
 The snake bites Sigmund but does no damage.                                                               
_Your kobold zombie misses the snake. Your kobold zombie hits the snake.                                   
_The snake bites your kobold zombie.                                                                       
 Sigmund hits the snake with a scythe!                                                                     
_The snake dies!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:24:29 am by huhu »

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 21, 2011, 08:15:36 am »

Just cleared Hive with my venom mage. I was almost beginning to feel sorry for the poor killer bees.

Cast poisonous cloud, shout, rinse, repeat. So now my spriggan has enough food to last until its glorious death anytime soon. Hurrah. To Orc!
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2011, 10:30:54 am »

After a few tries, finally managed to ascend the Nemelex Challenge KoSk. Feels good, man.  8)

(But damn, did I flee from everything and everyone in that game, losing berserker rage really hurts compared to old crusader).

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2011, 12:11:00 pm »

Congrats! Our third Nemelex banner, I think.

And by the way, thank you to absolutego for taking up the VpAE challenge. I feel like Bay12 has adequately represented vampires, and the upcoming release has been appropriately honored.

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2011, 12:11:43 pm »

namad, can you edit your post to put the big chardump inside some 'spoiler' tags? it makes the thread hard to read the way it is. thanks!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 21, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »

Oooh, grats Alg! You guys are setting the Bay12Champs pretty firmly in the top 5!

My games haven't been going that well, though I most certainly played the best Halfling Stalker this tournament will see: 106 521 points, no runes though sadly.

Also, I have a fairly nice High Elf Fire Elementalist going who worships Vehumet and brandishes a staff of fire. I hadn't seen the spell before, but Inner Flame is the goddamn greatest skill in the game. There's nothing more satisfying than blowing up a whole rat group by bursting one from the middle into a huge fireball. Or making a hydra spatter on the walls when it dies.

EDIT: Ice caves are tough. I should've probably caught a hint with that MDFi ghost I killed right after going in. Well, at least this guy completes my Gelatinous Body banner.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:41:06 pm by LASD »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 21, 2011, 09:47:01 pm »

got my first rune of the tournament, was using webtiles again today, reaaaaaly laggy so i guess it depends on timezone? eh?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #494 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:06 pm »

Well I got the spells(minus spiderform) that where suggested and ended up getting rid of summon elemental. Found lair and explored completely the first 4 floors and then found a labyrinth on the fifth which I finished just before I retreated up to my stash on lair2 and saved. I found a artifact robe and got really excited, then of course ID the robe and found it to be cursed on that gave a -3 to int...   yeah, anyway does anyone have tips for me now? The tips I have already gotten have helped greatly so I figured I would ask again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44