Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76133 times)

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #465 on: August 20, 2011, 12:03:58 pm »

There's one spot left in the Masons, anyone is welcome.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2011, 12:30:32 pm »

The Brewers also still have a spot open, if anyone wants to join.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2011, 01:51:04 pm »

hey rexnex, i will switch to miners whenever you get my name up, i just checked and it doesnt recognize me.
Adding du3lingdragon, if you use another name let me know.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #468 on: August 20, 2011, 02:10:37 pm »

Why do I only ever seem to find stones when I am not playing EE?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 20, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »

It's okay... don't feel bad about it. Stones are one of the most helpful items in the entire game, especially for combos that aren't using bows or crossbows. Indescribably useful for drawing off individual members of packs, killing jellies, and a whole host of other tasks. The sandblast thing is just a nice bonus :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 20, 2011, 02:42:57 pm »

Well I just played spriggan wizard, and I think I have a new favourite class. Mephitic cloud+mass imps+ magic darts= mass death. Unfortunately, centaurs are fast and have bows. And kill imps in one hit.
Blargh.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #471 on: August 20, 2011, 03:17:49 pm »

It's okay... don't feel bad about it. Stones are one of the most helpful items in the entire game, especially for combos that aren't using bows or crossbows. Indescribably useful for drawing off individual members of packs, killing jellies, and a whole host of other tasks. The sandblast thing is just a nice bonus :P
I don't actually use stones in general except for sandblast. I normally play summoner so I kind of am the swarm, especially after spammels summons two critters as a good swarm of them in an open room will totally wreck a lot of early uniques and because it only costs a single mana its dreadfully easy to keep a good screen of them in play.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 20, 2011, 03:24:13 pm »

I normally play summoner so I kind of am the swarm, especially after spammels summons two critters as a good swarm of them in an open room will totally wreck a lot of early uniques and because it only costs a single mana its dreadfully easy to keep a good screen of them in play.

This strategy works all the way through Zot:5 :) that's how I just got the Orb with my OgCj.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #473 on: August 20, 2011, 03:30:21 pm »

The only thing that really gets me is orc priests. Stupid line of sight smiting, why can't you just be like others and hit my constantly growing wall of fuzzy animals. Anyway since you won with the strategy could you take a look at a character I just had killed? I want to know if I was doing something wrong or just had the some bad luck with the stairs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:44 pm »

I'd recommend trying it with a race that has better aptitudes in spellcasting and summoning, and try to specialize in Summoning skill and Spellcasting. That way you will get more animals faster, and get access to the better summoning spells sooner. You can clear Lair with ice beasts, and you want to be able to cast it with little or no hunger if possible.

You have to get good at directing your swarm toward something, then running the opposite direction while they commit mayhem. For orc priests, as soon as you see one, retreat. Maybe some of your monsters will go after it and you can run. If they don't, once you are about to duck out of sight, you can use 't' to direct your mob toward it, then run away again.

After you get Recall, you can peek around a corner, see some monsters, and cast Recall. This brings about half your swarm around the corner, and you can direct them to attack, then retreat.

If you're good at doing all of that, that's all you need to win. I never got good enough to summon dragons, because I was an ogre, but that spell looks amazingly great. Horrible things are more than sufficient to clear Zot:5 quite easily. It only took me 3-4 rest/retreat cycles to clear the orb chamber.

edit: Did those ugly things get you when you went down a set of stairs? If you are surrounded by your summons, they will come with you when you go down a set of stairs, and absorb some of the hits by whatever is waiting for you. Then you go back up the stairs and draw a few enemies with you, and let the swarm handle them.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:48:09 pm by Taxus »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #475 on: August 20, 2011, 04:09:24 pm »

I went down with way too few summons which is clear to me, especially now that I look back on it and see I managed to get back to full mana before I died. Normally I try to have a good group of stuff around me but this time I skimped and ended up dead for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 20, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

Some of the things I noticed... vehy is probably a better god for non-mummy summoners. Some utility spells probably would have saved yer arse, as would a nice blast spell (IMB, ferex) -- sif would be better for the former, vehy for the latter. Vehy's casting assistance can be about as effective as Sif's miscast prevention, and anything with a food clock would probably rather be getting MP on kill rather than channeling, at least until they clean out th'hive.

You had an invis potion, ID'd, in your inventory. Ugly things don't see invis. Should have drank the invis, then read the TP scroll. Other thing you could have done was swap in the blowpipe and hit th'things with curare, after stepping away from the pair. North-east once, then into the corridor, probably would have been the best option if you were doing that. Never, ever, ever fight more than 1v1 if you can at all prevent it.

You should have turned off stabbing, definitely, and T&D probably -- at the very least, focusing on T&D was probably a bad idea. Just keep a few spammels around you to run over traps in your stead. Don't bother with stabbing if you don't have a reliable confusion or sleep source. Focus on fighting probably wasn't the best choice, either, especially with the fighting nerf. Just training is probably enough. Evocations and UC probably should have been off, at least until you got some decent buff spells to make melee safer.

Probably could have done without summon scorpions, honestly. And yeah, throwing up a few critters before you go down stairs is a good idea. Going back upstairs when you see stuff like a pair of ugly white things at clvl 9 is also an excellent idea :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:51:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #477 on: August 20, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »

Twas not a couple but a whole pack of like nine of them. I went upstairs and only two followed. The evocation came from being a black draconian as their random lighting breath while unpredictable is quite fun to watch. Thank you for the tips.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #478 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:41 pm »

Here is my current guy(still alive), any advice? I have all my spellbooks on me at the moment and I just finished clearing Hive sans poison resistance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 20, 2011, 10:58:36 pm »

Swiftness, abjuration, levitation, apportation, possibly spider form, in that order. You want those. You especially want swiftness, and you want swiftness now. You could probably dump call imp or canine familiar (preferably the latter -- call imp has more utility) for it, at this point. You'll definitely want apportation when you get ready to go rune hunting. It can save you some grief, as it can pick up runes. E: If you dump canine familiar, you could get swiftness, abjuration, and levitation or apportation. Do this. E2: Get rid of summon elemental. You need sufficient training in the particular elemental school to summon non-hostile ones with any reliability. Vehy'll start giving you conj books fairly soon, I think. Replace it with throw icicle or IMB.

You might want to find somewhere to stash the cure mutation potions, as I've been told those can viciously mutate you if they shatter in your inventory.

I'd be kiting with the venom dagger instead of using the draining shortsword -- drained enemies give less XP =(

Otherwise, you seem to be doing mostly alright. I'd definitely suggest turning back around and going through the lair. You've got plenty of power to take it down, especially if you pick up swiftness to avoid getting hydra-eaten or whatever. That you went to orc 4 before even touching the lair is slightly crazy, honestly. Orc's more dangerous than the lair, 90% of the time. Anyway, if you've cleared the mines, you can and definitely should go clear the lair.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:06:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44