Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76143 times)

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #435 on: August 19, 2011, 11:03:57 am »

I'd still say i'm beginner or around that. Also, anyone know any generally good combinations for someone interested in trying out a magic based character?
Blargh.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #436 on: August 19, 2011, 11:08:22 am »

I advise trying them all out in turn and finding the one that fits you. Each starts with a different starting spell book and if you for instance don't like to use summoning spells then me trying to suggest my favorite (KoSu) would just be leading you in the wrong direction. As for race you should either use the one suggested for the class you are trying or the one you like the most.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 19, 2011, 11:10:07 am »

Hmm I might try a spriggan magic based character, I've heard they're fast and good at magic. The problem is with using a race I like is I use mostly mountain dwarves and minotaurs (minotaur berserkers can kill sigmund at level 3 if you're lucky).
Blargh.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:15 am »

The Spriggan is a neat idea. Maybe try one of the part magic, part melee types with it and see what happens. Also if you want a stereotype try HEWz as you can't get more generic then that.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 19, 2011, 11:19:55 am »

I like High Elves, as they're not quite as squishy as Deep Elves (who are awesome casters).  Human isn't a bad choice, either- they can be mostly anything.

Right now I'm trying to get a Demigod Transmuter working- I figure they can best take advantage of all those high stats.  I like Chei casters, but I keep getting them killed, especially if I can't get good midrange damage spells (like IMB) or Blink.  Lair without Blink as Chei is a nightmare (and indeed, killed my dude.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 19, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

a wizard has a good start with blink and mephitic cloud, but will have problems with anything poison resistant like an early ice beast. if you worship vehumet you'll be guaranteed higher level conjurations or summonings (whichever is highest first) but it'll take a while.

air elementalists have a well-rounded book with repel missiles and swiftness, but lack firepower until you get lightning bolt, which isn't all that good anyway, but it's a good background.

conjurers and ice elementalists have very strong starting books. conjurers have early access to mephitic cloud, and ice elementalists have throw icicle which is a very strong level 4 conjuration (even after the nerf it's only partly resistible), and both have freezing cloud which is very strong and crazy efficient.

earth elementalists are a bit weird but very strong. sandblast with stones as a reagent (wield, then cast it) and conjure arrow will carry you for a while, and lee's rapid deconstruction is fun. later on there's iron shot and lehudib's crystal spear if you're also training conjurations.

necromancers are fun but if you want to try that out better start as something else and then worship kiku. he's special in that he gifts books very early (at one, three and four stars of piety if i recall correctly). agony trivialises pretty much anything other than uniques and packs of death yaks in the lair.

summoners are crazy strong but their starting book has a ceiling and the interface is annoying, so noone plays them (i do, but it takes patience). transmuters are also strong and have a good early book, but i'm not sure that's what you want. they pair up very nicely with kiku too.

there's plenty to try out, so i'd avoid fire elementalists (no utilities these days and other schools are just as good as killing things dead), warpers, venom mages (same problems as wizards, even though a few venom bolts will kill an ice beast), enchanters (they are strong but nearly all their spells are resistible, which is frustrating to some), and whatever else i've forgotten. ah, skalds are also pretty damn good, but they have a very rough start training gazillion magic schools and are a hybrid magic/melee class anyway.

race is much more important than class, but not so much for a beginner, so just look at the aptitudes ('%' in the character selection screen) and choose something that's not terrible. deep elves and kenku are very fragile, naga are slow, the undead are not very beginner-friendly, etc. some people like spriggans, others don't, but in any case they just play a different game than any other race. high elves are nearly always good, but level up slowly. humans are not a bad choice, as they are just about impossible to mess up.

also: if you use magic *at all*, level up intelligence whenever you can (put some points in strength for carrying capacity if it's driving you nuts, but that's it).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:34:15 am by absolutego »

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2011, 11:35:57 am »

SpEn works really well.  It's easier to run from/avoid monsters when you know where they are.  You can detect packs of monsters before you see them and go invisible.  You also know where to blink/teleport to.  You have low carrying capacity, so ID is a boon.

Just tried it, that works very well. The exp buff is very good in getting SpEn toughened up a bit. If only I didn't try and take on 3 orc priests in a row...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 19, 2011, 12:35:02 pm »

Ooo, webtiles is down. Perchance its finally updating?

edit: Scratch that, just Chrome being stupid to me despite more than one refresh.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2011, 01:13:50 pm »

a wizard has a good start with blink and mephitic cloud, but will have problems with anything poison resistant like an early ice beast. if you worship vehumet you'll be guaranteed higher level conjurations or summonings (whichever is highest first) but it'll take a while.

...Duh.  Why am I not playing a Chei caster as someone who starts with Blink?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2011, 01:45:16 pm »

webtiles updated!!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2011, 02:12:57 pm »

webtiles updated!!

!!!

So I wasn't going crazy when I noticed odd things with webtiles this morning. Excellent! I can start contributing!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »

Wooooooooooooo time to get started!

EDIT: Just had it stop accepting commands on me. I really hope they didn't rush tiles out for the tournament just to say they could have tiles out.  :(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:21:42 pm by Seriyu »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2011, 03:41:06 pm »

I've never won before but I have gotten a couple runes on a couple characters before...I've cleared lair and hive maybe a dozen times in the past several years and I've died in the elven halls before :-p

I see that engravers brewers and haulers all seem to have empty slots so... if it's not too late to join... well lemme know if someone is willing to take me and if it's still possible and I'll try to figure it out?  I'm also namad on the CDO server but i haven't played much online... mostly i've played offline so i don't really have any online stats yet...

anyways I don't care which team I get added too... just ... whichever team captain sees this post first? lemme know and I'll edit my account so that I'm on the team and I can start playing?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:46:41 pm by namad »

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:03 pm »

Wooooooooooooo time to get started!

EDIT: Just had it stop accepting commands on me. I really hope they didn't rush tiles out for the tournament just to say they could have tiles out.  :(

No, that's not it.  There are several servers with different accesses, and different people who know how to do various things.  The necessary people had issues that prevented them from getting on it right away.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 19, 2011, 04:59:24 pm »

Webtiles! yay!  Time for blacksmiths to make a comeback now that I can contribute.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44