Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So I Flooded My Common Area... Help Me Find Out Why?  (Read 3705 times)

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I Flooded My Common Area... Help Me Find Out Why?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »

I did this before, flooded my stockroom by accidentally caving in one tile.....one tile that put a hole straight through my irrigation line into my stockroom. Some quick masonry allowed me to put hatch covers over the stairs leading up and down from that room, trapping the dwarves on the bottom from the production rooms and the dwarves up top from food and booze.

Don't look at this as a disaster though! Look at it as an opportunity to have fun with pumps. And if you don't know jack about pumps, now's a better time than any to learn. Don't take it too hard, I drowned three dwarves in unfortunate 'pumping accidents' before I got the room dry. 18 more starved to death from my negligence their inability to gather undesignated food.

Any hint as to how I can get my flood gate on the RIGHT side of the channel would be appreciated. I have been thinking about it all day but nothing comes to mind exce/pt wait until winter hah... but even then it wouldn't be a good thing
http://i56.tinypic.com/2rdkghv.png

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:19 pm »

As I see it, you still have a small area where your dorfs are untouched by the water. Can't you just dig out from there and remove the water from the outside? You could cast obsidian in the water to block the flow, or perhaps pump the water away to temporarily dry it out for a dorf to make a wall there.
[Signature]

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 10:52:24 pm »

As I see it, you still have a small area where your dorfs are untouched by the water. Can't you just dig out from there and remove the water from the outside? You could cast obsidian in the water to block the flow, or perhaps pump the water away to temporarily dry it out for a dorf to make a wall there.

I dont have any obsidian nor do I think there is any on my ma/p... but what you are saying is that I should be able to channel down to the area to the left of the ram/p down and then build the wall really quick from u/p to/p? Can I do with with stone?

?PS my keyboard is acting wonky and I am tired of fixing all the mistakes it does >.> sorry about those random symbols.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 11:44:19 pm »

Hydrostatic pressure means that all the water above your living area will wind up in your living area. Which means that if you cut off the water at the start of the aqueduct, you still get entire aqueducts volume.

Moreover due to some quirks of the simulation, on each sim cycle you will get a tile full of water out for each pair of vertically adjacent water tiles, which explains why things may have occured more suddenly that expected

Side view

time 1         time 2
#~~~~#        #    #     
#~~~~#        #~~~~#     
####~#        ####~#~~~~
####~~~####   ####~~~####
###########   ###########

Actually, probably faster than shown here (due to the drops in the down shaft), but you get the idea

I got like 6 floors down
Your ascii art was a bit hard to interpret but it looks like you were attempting a vertical diagonal.
What you actually need is a horizontal diagonal, eg

Top view

##~##
##~##
##~##
#~#~#
##~##
##~##
##~##

Pressure will not travel North/South through this. Someday Toady will fix this and there will much wailing and gnashing of teeth (although it will be somewhat muted due to, you know, being underwater and all)

You were already able to shut the water off at the source, right? It shouldn't be too hard to drain the place.

Option 1:
1 Dig a shaft to the caverns.
2 Make sure that this shaft will not flood your remaining area (doors, hatches, depressurizers, all-of-the-above...)
3 Connect the shaft to the flooded area.
4 Don't forget to reseal the shaft sometime between when things dry out and when some flying abomination uses the shaft to make a surprise visit. (You may want to consider the benefits of grates and fortifications during step 1)

Option 2:
1 Dig out an area below the flood
2 Build an atomsmasher down there
3 Make sure not to flood your remaining area
4 Connect the flooded area to the atomsmasher and crush water till its out of the areas you want access to.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 12:26:46 am »

I dont have any obsidian nor do I think there is any on my ma/p... but what you are saying is that I should be able to channel down to the area to the left of the ram/p down and then build the wall really quick from u/p to/p? Can I do with with stone?

?PS my keyboard is acting wonky and I am tired of fixing all the mistakes it does >.> sorry about those random symbols.

No, I mean you can stick a load of pumps on the side of the channel you made, and direct them to pull water out of it and off the map (by making another closed channel going to the edge). If you put enough down, they should pull out more water than the river is putting in, and the channel will become dry enough for a dorf to build a wall in it. Then you can just deconstruct the pumps and start again. I have no idea how many you'd need though.
[Signature]

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 01:24:55 am »

heh, i've lost  many dwarves from channel accidents dropping floor tiles and punching holes through pipes/artificial lakes/aquifers. Now i try to firewall off any major water/magma sources with whole levels left natural, and any stairways/access ports through the firewalls sealed with hatches, and drainage holes...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 01:34:17 am »

You can also pump the water back into the river, that's what I usually do but the water can and will backflow. Pump the water from the line closest to the river out of the map or back into the river which will give you enough time to place a floodgate there. After that, lay some pumps to pump the water out of your living area and then continue with your fortress.

Remember, pumps pump water from the floor below them to the floor they are on, and you can make aqueducts with channels or walls.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 02:43:56 am »

You can also pump the water back into the river, that's what I usually do but the water can and will backflow. Pump the water from the line closest to the river out of the map or back into the river which will give you enough time to place a floodgate there. After that, lay some pumps to pump the water out of your living area and then continue with your fortress.

Remember, pumps pump water from the floor below them to the floor they are on, and you can make aqueducts with channels or walls.

Ahh they do? THATS WHAT I was looking for. I got the /perfect s/pot for them already...

Seriously thank you everyone for the help. I shall get this back on track soon and u/pdate on the situation soon... addicted to adventure mode at the moment hah I can't believe how much fun all this is...

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 04:22:49 am »

Argh WHY won't it lemme /put a /pum/p in there? Anyone know whats u/p?

http://i55.tinypic.com/107wh0o.png

?PS new keyboard tomorrow morning I swear haha. so this random mess u/ps will be gone. See it ty/pes a "/" when I hit /p and my left arrow doesn't work and using the mouse is starting to become time consuming so I am just leaving it :?P

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 05:26:23 am »

You have to put the pump one tile away from the water:

##~~~~
~~~GROUND

(Side view)

In that picture, the water gets pumped from the reservoir on the left to the pool on the right.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 05:30:59 am by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:09 am »

Someday Toady will fix this and there will much wailing and gnashing of teeth (although it will be somewhat muted due to, you know, being underwater and all)
I find that using diagonals to reset pressure gives me permanently full buckets in the well. I don't know what this does, but considering 'Bucket Full' =/= 'Active' I don't really want it. Digging a trench and using an always-on pump to reset pressure gives me fewer full buckets.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:57 am »

Why wouldn;t you want permanantly full buckets?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:44 pm »

It seems to be some sort of status marker. 'Active' is white, which is a good colour. 'Dry' or whatever the actual phrasing is is red, which is a bad colour. 'Bucket full' is yellow, which is a caution colour. I don't know what it does, but my interpretation is that it's not the best of states.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »

Diagonal tile connections negate pressure.

I got like 6 floors down of h = channel
And so on.
h....
.hh
..hh
Does that work to reduce pressure? still haven't unflooded the base either hah.

No, it really won't do much. Imagine your real piping and all the vertical U-turns it has.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 02:09:39 pm »

AFAIK a bucket that isn't full makes the well not work...
Pages: 1 [2] 3