Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So I Flooded My Common Area... Help Me Find Out Why?  (Read 3706 times)

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I Flooded My Common Area... Help Me Find Out Why?
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:24:39 am »

So this is what happened.

http://i51.tinypic.com/1108w21.png

Now what I did was had a few levers underground near there, notice the stairs to the south. Then dug into a river. I had a floodgate and shut it off after I notice... "Oh hey it aint winter no more..." Which really didn't take me that long literally 2 seconds cause I was looking at a body of water as it happened. Anyways so I shut it off right away but SOMEHOW it was long enough to literally FILL everything. I can't find out how... the water supply IS cut off but its like A TON of water got in my canal system and is somehow pushing it up the well which seems to defy gravity right?

Anyways I am working on project "Shit Storm" as we speak which I HOPE works so my 2 questions are... how do you prevent this and how would you clean it up lol.

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I Flooded My Common Area... Help Me Find Out Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:16 am »

Also if it helps I can take more pics to show off more of it hah.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:39 am »

is somehow pushing it up the well which seems to defy gravity right?

Pressure could be the answer. The water actually was pushed up the well by it. At least that's a likely explanation.

I have no idea on how to clean that up, but to prevent that from happening in the future... well, just be careful with water and pressure.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:50 am »

I heard that pressure could do that... and I actually put measures to prevent that xD like digging 4 levels below a straight drop and a HUGE area for the water to fill so that I would have some leeway but... like I said it looked like a nice stream at first but then it just seemed like it came OUTTA NO WHERE like I had 7 come out... but the flood gate was lowered so no more was getting through then over time it turned into a WHOLE mess like that haha.

Anyways Shit Storm failed.

http://i53.tinypic.com/11jrh4x.png

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:36:42 am »

Yea pressure is the problem here. Rivers, lakes, oceans... heck, any of the sources of infinite water... they will all fill smaller volumes with water very quickly. for a laugh dig into the side of an ocean. 2 ticks and your fort will be full. also, the well issue isnt defying gravity, just sensible !!physics!!... think of an U-bend...
This is a blank sig.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:41:40 am »

Probably the safest way to prevent that is to ensure your cistern is never directly connected to any infinite water source (although a short while of direct connection shouldn't hurt, if you stop before things get wet). Fill your cistern by using pumps that can be stopped or with a floodgate waterlock.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:44:46 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:43:54 am »

Yea no check this out so... I had to dig some channels to get the river water deep enough to try and build a some "c" word it escapes me now... so it can hold water. Then I was gonna use a flood gate to control the flow right... well I put the flood gate on the wrong side of the DAMN channel. So this seemingly gravity and reality bending blunder is ACTUALLY all my fault so TA DA!

Haha, yea I know it will go up :P but yea if the amount I SAW come in then when I hit the switch... if that went up the well that would totally be defying all logic which is why I HAD to start this cause I JUST couldn't figure it out, but isn't that life. Shortly after posting I find the reason for it. On a side note... I now have a underground cavern FULL of water, I just hope there aren't any aquatic creatures down there... but I hope all those spiders die!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:35 am »

Keep thinking positively, for optimism is a virtue! Just think about how cool and interesting theme fort you can build around that setting.
Some background music while you develop your partially submerged fort!

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:44 am »

Keep thinking positively, for optimism is a virtue! Just think about how cool and interesting theme fort you can build around that setting.
Some background music while you develop your partially submerged fort!

Haha.

Seriously as I am wading waist deep in river water racking my brain trying to cut off the river... that made me laugh so hard I nearly fell off my chair. Me and my mer'dwarfs will be over here drinking some ale.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:38 am »

Nah This music is more appropriatte for an underwater fort...

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:42:41 am »

Nah This music is more appropriatte for an underwater fort...

Good old Echo

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 02:47:13 pm »

I just think that "aquatic ruin" fits a half-sunken fortress fairly well...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 04:27:11 pm »

Diagonal tile connections negate pressure.

Dangazzm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:33 pm »

Diagonal tile connections negate pressure.

I got like 6 floors down of h = channel
And so on.
h....
.hh
..hh
Does that work to reduce pressure? still haven't unflooded the base either hah.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:55:14 pm »

I did this before, flooded my stockroom by accidentally caving in one tile.....one tile that put a hole straight through my irrigation line into my stockroom. Some quick masonry allowed me to put hatch covers over the stairs leading up and down from that room, trapping the dwarves on the bottom from the production rooms and the dwarves up top from food and booze.

Don't look at this as a disaster though! Look at it as an opportunity to have fun with pumps. And if you don't know jack about pumps, now's a better time than any to learn. Don't take it too hard, I drowned three dwarves in unfortunate 'pumping accidents' before I got the room dry. 18 more starved to death from my negligence their inability to gather undesignated food.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: [1] 2 3