Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is someone doing DNS attacks?  (Read 881 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Is someone doing DNS attacks?
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:52:23 am »

I'm just curious, since my internet fully works now but I couldn't connect to the DNS server about an hour ago. Also a secondary function of this thread is so I can write down the IP address of B12 and google (I saw it earlier in time somewhere but scoffed at the idea of needing it I think, or I wrote it down and forgot where it was because I looked)

EDIT: I know this because Stronghold Kingdoms connected as they use IP but google.com would not be found via DNS.

EDIT2: So what are the IPs of B12 forums start page and google, from my kindly internet friends, or how do I determine such?

EDIT3: To clarify, what happened was that when you type a www address in a browser it filters through a DNSserver to translate it into the numbers of a standard IP address if I understand correctly. If that server is attacked www addresses do not work anymore and you have to type in the IP numbers instead. Am I correct about this much at least?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:03:19 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Is someone doing DNS attacks?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:15 am »

You can open up command prompt and ping a site, and it will show the ip of the site. Bay12's is 97.107.128.126

From router settings, assuming you have access to such things, you can also set alternate ip's for the DNS server to use. Google has a couple open to the public (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 IIRC, though you should look that up first before trying); both of theirs worked for me equally well as the default one I have. If that doesn't fix the problem, it isn't DNS but something in between.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:01:56 am »

You can open up command prompt and ping a site, and it will show the ip of the site. Bay12's is 97.107.128.126

If someone's tampering with the DNS, you may get the wrong IP (or the right one if you'd ask the attacker), in which case it does no good.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 01:06:23 am »

DNS is functioning fine now, it was only off for a short while. Was my EDIT3 more or less correct?

EDIT2: Also I did the tracert thing I learned about a few days ago from cmd to google.com to test if that worked back when this happened and it could not connect to that system or something.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:09:22 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:07:41 am »

Haven't tested even though I should've, but that's the way I assume it to work.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:11:05 am »

What ISP do you use? It's possible their DNS servers were just down.

Instead of stockpiling the IP addresses of your favorite sites, do the sensible thing and get IP addresses of other DNS servers. I don't know where you live or how much that matters, but I personally use Google's DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. You can set your router to use these specifically, when necessary... and if you don't have access to your router, you can set your TCP/IP settings on your computer to use them directly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:13:32 am »

Cool, didn't know that. Thanks. I guess I'll switch over then, probably was just maintenence. I had a tiny fear that the Chinese invasion had begun (haha, I know the Chinese are not like that), but the TV and cell phones still worked.

EDIT: Or that someone was trying to send a message by hacking something by exposing the vulnerabilities; I'm really no expert on these kind of things
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:15:32 am by Duuvian »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:21:58 pm »

I had a tiny fear that the Chinese invasion had begun (haha, I know the Chinese are not like that)
Of course... Which is why we should be taking the fight to them, down with the great firewall of China!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:06 pm »

I'll get my Great Virtual Firehose.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.