Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Medieval Simulation Games  (Read 32606 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medieval Simulation Games
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:15:04 pm »

I am looking for a game that is a medieval based simulation type game...preferably something that is more on the personal level but strategic level would be good.

Some games I have/am aware of that don't need mention are

Total War Series (Good but want something more RPGish)
The Guild 1 & 2 (Also good but very clunky feeling and a bit repetitive)
King of Dragons Pass (love this game but the game does lose some of its edge after a bit)
Knights of Honor (good but overall shallow and could be more sophisticated)
Mount & Blade
Crusader Kings

Prolly a few more but cant remember them off the top of my head.

Also gonna try The Sims Medieval. it has some fairly good reviews and looks like it could be fun especially with the latest patch which adds things like Parent/child succession.

But namely I am looking for something with:
good RPG elements
Realistic medieval setting preferable
Simulation/strategy elements
Character growth (going from peasant and working your way to king for example)

any ideas? I don't really care much about specifics (IE year published, major company or indie developed etc) and anything will work as long as it has those criteria

if there are suggestions for anything similar in a different setting I am open for that as well
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:26:18 pm by dennislp3 »

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval Simulation Games
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:20:02 pm »

Stronghold, but that focuses on economy and castles.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:20:51 pm »

Mount and blaaaaaaaaaaaaade!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »

There is medieval ...but that's a city builder.

I think the Guild is the only game series that handles that...

Sorry that I can't be any more helpful

I'll go look around.

Would fantasy be ok?

Edit- Forgot about Mount and Blade

Edit: I remember a really good one. Crusader Kings. Its a game about controlling an European dynasty throughout the middle ages. There are stats, traits, games of intrigue, etc. Its a strategy game though. You can be anywhere from a count-king (only three stages really).

Unrelated:Ninjas!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:24:29 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »

Ahh thats what it was...I have mount and blade as well as warband and with fire and sword...also played the stronghold series...so those are kind of out

Mount and blade was good but felt lacking for me due to its emptiness kind of feeling (I run around with my army and fight others...but there is nothing really supporting it all! shallow interactions with NPCs etc)

Stronghold was good as well

Crusader kings was the other one that I have also played (what can I say...I like the medieval period and RPGs/Simulation games =P)

Fantasy is fine too

Crusader kings is certainly a step closer to what I am looking for to be sure but it felt a LOT like the total war series (IE looking for slightly more in depth RPG focus)

I am being picky as hell...but its not hurting me any since I have played all these lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:27:29 pm by dennislp3 »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:25:34 pm »

Crusader Kings and the Guild are the closest thing to what you want. Believe me, I've tried looking. You might want Crusader Kings 2 which their releasing next year though. Its supposed to be more realistic.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:31:23 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »

Crusader Kings is an excellent game that not only covers the strategic level, but also the personal level. Not only do you control a nation, but you are also in control of the leader.  It's not a traditional empire-building game. It focuses on building your dynasty's prestige (and piety), rather than territory. There are three levels of nations: Kingdoms, duchies, and counties. You can play as any Christian character holding land, assuming they rule a monarchy. Traits, affecting stats such as Health, Martial, Diplomacy, Stewardship, and Intrigue will occur by means of events. These in turn affect how you rule. All nations have courts. They are made up of the Marshal, Chancellor, Steward, Spy Master, Diocese Bishop, and courtiers. Courtiers can fill any position in your court, and you can also take actions such as vassalize them and give them land. However, only certain people can fill certain positions. For example, a Marshal needs to be a male with a martial education, and a Diocese Bishop a male with a theological education. Vassals are another important aspects. In Crusader Kings, you can only rule over so many provinces by yourself before you start to take in a penalty in direct income from your demense. This is based on the combined Intrigue of you and your Spy Master. The solution to this is ceding land to vassals. Vassals have a "Loyalty Rating" - from 0 (Disloyalty Incarnate) to 100 (Very Loyal). Loyalty is also reflected in court members, who may plot against you if it is low. Loyalty is raised or lowered in a number of fashions: It comes on a monthly basis, or can be raised or lowered by events. On the monthly basis, factors such as traits, your prestige, diplomacy rating, and family ties make up the total for the month. If it gets around or below 35, then bad events start to happen - vassal disloyalty. This can lead to realm duress, a civil war between you and your loyal vassals and rebellious ones. Realm duress is terrible: I've seen one of the biggest factions, the Kingdom of Germany, be thrown into a horrible war by it, and to come out at -729 prestige, their leader killed in battle with no successor, and lost most of their vassals. Of course, if you are a vassal, you can always declare independence, however it may lead to war. One of the best times to do this is when your throne is inherited: You, now playing as the new leader of your nation, have the option to recognize your new liege, or break away. In my experiences, this usually comes out with a 70% success rate and is best done when your liege is fighting a major war. There are many other features that I have glossed over, but this is the gist of the game. There are things such as marriage, the Papacy, Crusades, and more, but I don't think I have enough time to write a 6,000 word review.

Edit: You can get Crusader Kings and it's expansion Deus Vult in a bundle on GamersGate for $20.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:47:57 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:30:09 pm »

Fable 3 would serve as a good example of something I am kinda looking for as well (IE you start lowly and go up to managing a kingdom...albeit it not very in depth)

Open ended RPGs are also something I am looking for if that helps any...things like Gothic and Elder Scrolls and etc

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:33:40 pm »

If fantasy is in, then Dwarf Fortress. ;D

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:33:46 pm »

For those of you mentioning Stronghold...are you talking about the old game from SSI or the new(er) game by Firefly?

I've never played the Firefly game, but it looks vaguely similar to the SSI game.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:54:15 pm »

Ha yeah I am playing DF some right now so I am good there...though I have that "pre next release anxiety" for lack of better terms...IE I am hesitant to play it knowing there will be an impending release (rather large one at that)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:25:46 pm »

Ha yeah I am playing DF some right now so I am good there...though I have that "pre next release anxiety" for lack of better terms...IE I am hesitant to play it knowing there will be an impending release (rather large one at that)

That didn't stop us from playing 40d for, what was it, something on the air of a year and a half?  Never hesitate to play a game because of what the future might bring.  Need I remind you that the purpose of games is to be fun?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »

Stronghold series by Firefly Studios is pretty good I think it is one of the best game si have ever played.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »

Crusader kings is certainly a step closer to what I am looking for to be sure but it felt a LOT like the total war series (IE looking for slightly more in depth RPG focus)
Really? I've never felt that playing CK. I mean, if you're a major kingdom you certainly can play it like a total war game, but otherwise it feels nothing like total war. I've had the most fun playing it full roleplay style, always acting in character and essentially watching the story unfold. Making plans that take 50 years to come into fruition like a few key marriages and a key assassination is extremely rewarding when they finally work.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 11:41:04 pm »

Perhaps it is my previous experiences with the total war series that put me in the mindset to play it like that...I might fire it up once again and see.

and no the pre release thing isn't stopping me at all! I am playing but I don't play DF exclusively
Pages: [1] 2