Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment  (Read 10481 times)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2011, 01:00:01 am »

BADGERS!

This save has too many badgers. Particularly since my entire fort relies on eggs and badgers have a penchant for wandering into my hatching rooms.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2011, 02:05:51 am »

And thanks for the marble tip. Is there no aquifer in this corner, or do you know?

In the west part of the map, there is a small area that melts much faster than the others, I presume the aquifer is there. Haven't checked, but around the middle of the map, you'll have marble deep down, this I checked myself.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2011, 04:07:48 am »

Hai

Right so I gave this embark a go. It's nothing really extraoardinary but there's iron copper and zinc, so I figure I'll set up a steel and brass industry. There's not to much ore though, so I'm not sure what industry I should be focusing on.
There's black sand so I could possibly produce lots of glass, but then I'm already dongn that in another fort. I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing here.

Anyway, I've been meaning to try something different on fortress location so I decided t carve out the fortress inside the magma sea. You know how people say everything is better with lots of magma? Well I don't know how I can add any more magma to this fort without !!fun!!.

I'm only one season in, but here's the first house block being dug out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2011, 05:34:35 am »

Year one:

Year one was pretty uneventful. The badgers mostly left me alone so I have been unharassed. I had two small waves of migrants for a total of 15 dwarves. I forgot to bring an anvil so I am only now starting to take advantage of the iron after the first trading caravan came through. I'm currently digging to try and find some flux so I can start equipping my 3 axedwarf militia with some serious steel weaponry. This is my first fortress with fishable water So shell crafts are currently my trading stock.

Built my trap funneling structure. Now to fill it with cage traps and begin collecting my uber badger army!

My housing is slightly prisonesque.

My workshop center.

My plans for next year involve fully equipping my militia with steel (if I can find flux) and building lots and lots of traps.
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2011, 06:34:20 am »

Attempt1: O MY GOD BADGERS, they are killing my everything
Attempt2: Did I press the play now button... Yes I did :/
Attempt3: Left the game runnign while getting Pizza, Berserking dwarf killing EVERYTHING

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 07:16:19 am »

If I might ask, what exactly DF creatures did you keep in? Stranglers I've noticed from posts, but what about others like beak wolves, frogmen, etc?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 07:58:37 am »

Well I haven't played df in a while, but this looks like fun! Right, here's hoping for fun and not !!FUN!! (tm) :D

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:46 am »

I don't know what you guys are talking about here. I have gotten no badgers AT ALL. Only moose men and some horses...
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 08:44:49 am »

If I might ask, what exactly DF creatures did you keep in? Stranglers I've noticed from posts, but what about others like beak wolves, frogmen, etc?

I know that beak wolves are also in for sure, because I have encountered them already. Not sure about the others yet.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 09:33:10 am »

I don't know what you guys are talking about here. I have gotten no badgers AT ALL. Only moose men and some horses...
There are giant badgers too. If any of them spawn above the river bend my fortress is toast.

ETA: There are also frogmen with giant badgers. I did not know of this, but luckily my bone carver knows her history.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:21:47 am by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 11:23:59 am »

ETA: There are also frogmen with giant badgers. I did not know of this, but luckily my bone carver knows her history.

My engraver knew that as well. In year the frogwoman name tamed the giant badgers of placename.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Sane_Cow

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Escaped Sane Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 11:27:04 am »

Sounds fun, can't wait to try it.

Sane_Cow

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Escaped Sane Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 12:32:16 pm »

Sorry didn't know, My brother scolded me
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:40:10 pm by Sane_Cow »

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »

Administrative Report
Treasureglazed
200, Autumn

The fortress has grown. Our militia is set up, all it needs is it's barracks, which is nearly done. The trade caravan arrived. We traded them many rock crafts encrusted with gems. Iteb, the Dwarf we traded with, seemed willing to trade. We bought an anvil, made of the finest steel. (Why didn't we bring one with us from the Mountainhomes in the first place? But I digress.) The fortress has expanded to a comfortable size, we have bought food and cloth from the caravan, which will depart in the winter.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2011, 12:49:12 pm »

Annual Report of As Shetbethdegel, Expedition Leader
We arrived at the location of our next fortress in early spring, as planned. The entire place was covered in snow, and the river was frozen over. Taking the opportunity, we dug down to the river and built the entrance to our fortress on the other side, adding a bridge in case the river melted. Once we hit stone, we carved out the usual stockpiles, farms, and pen for the animals, as well as a meeting hall and room for workshops. At this point, a Sasquatch attacked, killing a dwarf before it was slain by eight hastily-conscripted wrestlers. We struck tetrahedrite, and dug out an entire vein. Soon, we had two soldiers in full copper (hardly best-case, but better than nothing) with silver warhammers. Our entrance is guarded by six weapon traps, each armed with a copper serrated disk. Winter ends with the fortress at a population of 21.

Notes:
River will never melt. Do not worry about the bridge.
Badgers. BADGERS EVERYWHERE.

And here are the pictures.

@ Crustypeanut
Stranglers, Beak Wolves, Frogmen, and Tigermen.

@Everyone:
I'm glad that a spontaneous idea I had has taken off so quickly. Thanks, everyone!
Also, my brother (Sane Cow) has been taught the lessons of proper forumgoing etiquette. Don't worry about him :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:28:03 pm by Crazy Cow »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7