Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment  (Read 10475 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: The Cyclopean Universe - An Experiment
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »

When I downloaded the save, I didnt get the region file
Then what did you get? It's just the region folder, that's all there is to download.
When you unzip it, you're likely creating another folder (regionAWESOME contains another folder called that).  Drag the folder INSIDE the unzipped folder into your saves folder.  Err, does that make sense?
I did this but its still not showing up.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 12:22:59 pm »

experiment_members += 1;

I will embark with my usual. My usual being one of the embarks that Lazy Newb Pack came with. (I'm not going to use my modified-raws-LNP though.)

EDIT:

Okay, the only changes to game data done:
  • Changed FPS
  • Added Ironhand graphics mod
  • Changed non-gameplay affecting settings in d_init and init
  • Turned on auto-save
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:37:55 pm by Kaleb702 Games »
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 12:38:32 pm »

OK, Spring's here, so here's my report.

Things are pretty good down in Treasureglazed. (Except, perhaps, the name.) I built a bridge over to the little piece of land in the NE corner and set up from there.
Spoiler: Level 1 (click to show/hide)

Yes, that is a wall blocking me off from the map edge. There's a serious badger problem, if you guys didn't notice.

A little digging out as per my norm: A space for the depot, some stores, some farm space. Later I added the actual depot and some bedrooms, as you can see.
Spoiler: Levels 2-3 (click to show/hide)

Immediately after that came two workshops, to get the bedrooms working. Then two more, for an operational bridge and stone pots + trade goods mugs. That weird hole is a very poorly-designed water storage hole, using dumped ice. I don't know why I ever thought that dumping ice in a clay hole was a good idea for water.
Spoiler: Level 4 (click to show/hide)

Then some digging for stone. With an aquifer somewhere here, and some damp stone already spotted, I'll make the most of what I have: siltstone, bauxite, and a bit of tetrahedrite.
Actually, just noticed that red ore is hematite. That's good.
Spoiler: Level 5 (click to show/hide)

All in all, a decent fortress, excepting two facts: There's no room for an indoor meeting place, and there are annoying stranglers outside.

I'll start the fun stuff next time I play. (Most likely, tomorrow.)

Also, random carcasses, leather, and logs were laying around - a few of each. I collected them.

EDIT: Guess there are also some random moose people over to the right there. No clue what they're doing there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:43:00 pm by Lectorog »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »

I just got merchants, which means the Mountainhomes are still alive and kicking.

What if they're the mandatory merchants. I remember people saying that you always get 1 merchant caravan and two immigrant waves.

Then some digging for stone. With an aquifer somewhere here, and some damp stone already spotted, I'll make the most of what I have: siltstone, bauxite, and a bit of tetrahedrite.

Dig deep enough, you'll find marble. Then for steel!

Also, I got dark stranglers on my first year as well, but they were easy to kill/rout.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 01:30:47 pm »

I just got merchants, which means the Mountainhomes are still alive and kicking.

What if they're the mandatory merchants. I remember people saying that you always get 1 merchant caravan and two immigrant waves.

Dig deep enough, you'll find marble. Then for steel!

Also, I got dark stranglers on my first year as well, but they were easy to kill/rout.

Yes, but - as you can see - I only have one military dwarf. I could create a quick spear militia or something, but I'm not sure if they'd survive. Stranglers are weak, but not that weak.
And thanks for the marble tip. Is there no aquifer in this corner, or do you know?
I can confirm at least one caravan and two migrant waves, but no more.

If I just let these things hang around for a while, will it delay further sieges or will they come as usual once the stranglers die?

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 01:38:54 pm »

Administrative Report
Treasureglazed
200, Spring

We have arrived, and are constructing the fortress itself. We have dug under the aquifer, and the rooms have almost been completely excavated.
Two out of three of our dogs have been killed by badgers. Our cats have survived, thank Armok. We shall make arrangements to move them inside.
In other news, our above-ground, walled-in depot has been built, guarded by a bridge. Traps, and dogs, should be placed at that bridge, once we have more dogs.
So far, so good. We should take care of the badgers around here. A militia will be formed as soon as we have enough civilians 'willing' to join it.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »

Any chance of posting the seed? I'd be interested to see how this one plays out with various mods.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

Administrative Report
Treasureglazed
200, Summer

The river had a tunnel placed into it, which allowed a resevoir to be filled. The good news: It worked. The bad news: It overflowed a bit. The lever connected to a floodgate stopped it just in time. The water that overflowed is now evaporating.
Treasureglazed will now begin work on rock crafts, now that the fortress has been constructed. (Almost, there is still work to do.)
We will also begin preparing for any invasions with traps.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »

I have decided to be a member of The Virginal Canals. They're at war with the stranglers, so that should be interesting. No iron unfortunately, which makes for an expensive embark.

Loadout is skill-heavy and supply-light, with three of the seven having Proficient Teaching and Proficient Dodging / Armour User / Shield User between them. The rest of them are:
Weaponsmith / Armoursmith
Brewer / Cook
Grower / Herbalist
Bone Carver + Leatherworker / Appraiser / Judge of Intent

Resources consist of 1 copper pick, 1 steel anvil, 4 units of drink, 1 plump helmet, 7 seeds, 4 bars of copper, 1 bar of charcoal, 3 silk thread, 3 wool yarn, and 5 peafowl and 12 goats.

Here's hoping I don't get reamed!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 11:11:52 pm »

Currently 1 or 2 years in and so far ive lost half my immigrants and my starting doctor in the first 2 badger attacks prompting me to seal off my drawbridge and just broke my first siege.
I tried making a marksdwarve to shoot over my moat but he refused to equip any ammo so i followed the following strategy:
1)swore at the dwarf
2)made full wrestler sqaud
3)lowered drawbridge
4)raised drawbridge as soon as stranglers walked onto it, throwing them into my squad
5)laughed as my dwarfs swarmed the stranglers that survived the fall
6)threw captured stranglers in my moat where my marksdwarfs corpse fell
my marksdwarf was the only one equipped with anything and he was the one that died  ???
now im just trying to capture some giant badgers to murder join them.

edit: Double strangler wave now and my new marksdwarf is having the same ammo problem... i seem to have lost my quivers, i think those damn monkeys took them
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:28:50 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 11:19:51 pm »

Downloading now. It'll be interesting to see how I go since I'm used to very specific embarks =/

Looking forward to the clay though. I love Adobe fortresses.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:22 pm »

I'm about a year into my fort and have as of yet avoided any troubles with badgers, however there were a few close calls in the summer, with a herd of giant badgers meandering through my courtyard while the walls were still under construction. A cat was attacked but managed to dodge away, and the walls were quickly finished afterwards.
I'm in early autumn now, and I have just reached magma, so metal-working will begin before winter. I will probably post screenshots as the fort progresses and more interesting things happen.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 11:30:56 pm »

I am definitely gonna try this.  Will be interesting to see who does what with it :D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 11:37:09 pm »

well im down to 9 guys again.. i set my drawbridge t lower then instantly raise again launching the stranglers and dealing heavy damage but my damn dwarfs ignored the second command and got massacred allowing giant badgers to follow the stranglers into my base

okay while i was typing about 3 more guys died from bleeding or thirst so im basically screwed
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:22 pm »

MIGRANTS! :D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7