Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 954789 times)

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8520 on: August 26, 2021, 11:35:19 pm »

tf2 but free to play players could use chat, you could specifically get 4v4 casual matches, and there were balanced casuals
(I mean, don’t get me wrong,
-8v8 crazy monstrosities are fun
-playing well on the losing side isn’t so bad
-I didn’t want to talk to other people anyway! take that, volvo!)
but all those things would be nice
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: August 27, 2021, 09:18:51 pm »

A first-person RPG, except with a Mario 3 level of graphics detail. Probably different graphical assets, but that kind of cartoony simplicity.
sounds awesome

What, Super Mario RPG wasn't good enough?  :P

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: August 27, 2021, 09:47:36 pm »

A first-person RPG, except with a Mario 3 level of graphics detail. Probably different graphical assets, but that kind of cartoony simplicity.
sounds awesome

What, Super Mario RPG wasn't good enough?  :P
that was bird’s eye view

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: August 27, 2021, 11:45:43 pm »

I was looking at zachtronic games, and remembered another game called Else Heart.Break(), where you could alter the world around you by manipulating it's code. My problem was it was too easy to get through to the point that being too good/creative at coding would break the story. So what if Zachtronics put their super complicated multi-layered logic puzzles in an open world sandbox type game with the same setting (that you can manipulate physical stuff that has code)? Then you have to avoid the government who tries to regulate the code rewriting, and complete some sort of objective or battle some other group/person/AI.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: August 28, 2021, 02:40:13 am »

I was looking at zachtronic games, and remembered another game called Else Heart.Break(), where you could alter the world around you by manipulating it's code. My problem was it was too easy to get through to the point that being too good/creative at coding would break the story. So what if Zachtronics put their super complicated multi-layered logic puzzles in an open world sandbox type game with the same setting (that you can manipulate physical stuff that has code)? Then you have to avoid the government who tries to regulate the code rewriting, and complete some sort of objective or battle some other group/person/AI.
that sounds amazing

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: October 13, 2021, 09:17:41 pm »

tf2 but free to play players could use chat,
f2ps used to be able to talk in tf2, and I'm not really sure why Valve thought they'd make more bucks just by adding a minor annoyance.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: December 31, 2021, 09:40:44 pm »

Sorry fellow posters that I made so many posts, took a long time for manual approval so I had things stacked up, reading but being unable to respond.

I'd like literally any fantasy grand strategy game with more going on than Sovereignty: Crown Of Kings. More politics, more economy, add some items.
I'd like something on the level of Banished with magical stuff like alchemy and enchanting.

I'd like to see a Majesty successor with more city building and guilds that have more going on. Like Mandate on the GAE open source engine but finished and not abandoned.

I'd love an RPG with a Talent/Path system like the one depicted in Luck And Chronomancy on Royal Road. A true example of a LitRPG where the system is absolutely plausible as something a dev with current technology could implement that would be amazingly fun. Too many LitRPGs these days are impossible fairy tale super AI MMOs or generic fantasy with a gloss of blue boxes.

day6reak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: January 01, 2022, 07:09:53 pm »

Some combination of Unreal World, Cataclysm DDA, Space Rangers, and Darklands. Survival roguelike in a heavy fantasy setting with a deeply simulated world. Skills only go up with practice and deteriorate over time. Guilds to join, open world, important NPCs living in the world just like the player. Politics and economy to participate in. Caravans traveling between cities, mercenary jobs, reputation system. Magic is powerful can only be learned after a lot of effort such that other skills suffer. Dungeons scattered in places. NPC raiding parties to join. Can build up a place to live which could be a random house in a small town, in a city, in the woods.

Would be cool to become a magic user and build your tower in some remote place to do magic research in isolation. It can get raided by people looking to steal stuff, or to kill you if you have an evil reputation. Would be cool to become a Ranger and live in the woods crafting your own tools, maybe people seek you out for tracking jobs or to make custom bows or arrows. Arrows can be made from monster teeth after hunting some cool ones. Things take time to do, making arrows or researching some spell could take X time and the game can be ALT-TAB'd while that happens.

Basically an open world fantasy focused roguelike with 3 important layers of politics, economy, and reputation which generate events for the player. Things should happen (wars, elections, celebrations, rituals, etc) without the player being involved too so that the player feels the world is progressing without revolving around them. It should feel like a living world that the player is participating in and the player shouldn't be special or more powerful than other NPCs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8528 on: January 01, 2022, 10:25:04 pm »

OK, so make a procedural alien planet. Multiple diverse and non-earthlike biomes, all kinds of threats. This planet is a node in an ancient alien FTL network (a bit like Stargate). Humans discovered this network and send a ship through to unlock the secrets of the technology, and it almost worked.

The ship crashed onto the surface, leaving the survivors to explore the planet and rebuild their technological base while dealing with the hostile world.

The game is played from a first-person perspective. Players are explorers who travel over the planet surface finding resources, returning them to the base, and building new settlements. Traveling over the planet is slow and difficult unless there is significant established infrastructure.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: January 03, 2022, 06:00:16 pm »

There are all those sandbox scifi space shooters being made right now, the problem about the idea, is that humans at real life live 24 per day (some hours less if you count sleeping as not living), while people will just play just few hours per day the game, and it will hard to mix a believeable world with humans that only play few hours per day.

One idea is to make something different.

The game I wish it existed, was a mix of space simulator with a real time 4x game like sins of solar empire. You would have one ai per team doing the real time 4x part, and also one ai per soldier controlling those soldiers (and so the ship), you would be able to pick one soldier that is alive and control him (controling his ship), if you die you will need to pick another soldier or wait the ai to build more ship/soldiers,  spaceships would be more detailed than at normal 4x/rts games.
All this means there is always action going on and when you leave the game the AI continue controling your soldier (or some other player) and also you have some level of "sandboxiness" (economy and etc....)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: January 03, 2022, 11:13:51 pm »

If the AI is made and the game balances so as long there are no humans (in a significant amount) playing it reamins on a "eternal stalemate" it could work. If you are alone on the server you cant do much, or conquering systems require crazy amounts of grinding, but if there are 20/200/2000 players things can change very fast.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: January 12, 2022, 08:09:49 am »

An RvRvE game. MMO (because of course).

Basic premise is the most of the world is given over to standard RvR fighting over resources and territory. The gimmick is that there's a major AI threat that's also expanding and changing the world, by conquering nodes (including quest hubs) and growing stronger. Minor resources nodes might simply give a global health and damage increase, while major nodes might cause new types of elite and boss mobs to spawn during encounters, and losing a major city node will cause a world-event boss to spawn and attack random nodes outside of the threat's normal influence. Lost resource nodes are permanently consumed but can be reclaimed and garrisoned by NPCs to negate their benefit to the enemy.

The gimmick is that players can fail to counter the threat and lose. Then world is then reset by the in-game gods or whatever Powers That Be, somewhat like Planetside's continents. Same happens if they win.

With a functional reset built into the system, you can do a lot more than typical static worlds. A reset might radically terrain, new (lower scale) threats are present in different places, extensive changes to skill balance (to deliberately upset the meta). NPCs might change. The AI's strategic priorities and behavior changes each season (it can also have its decision tree/weighting prodded by devs during a season to help upset predictability). The AI threat itself might change, too - the game might start with only 1 antagonist (maybe a silithid/tyranid kind of bug race), but expansions could add new threats like shadow demons or ork swarms, or minor NPC races are given a divine boost and become the main antagonist. The "final" event might also change - it could be a world-scale boss raid (not only fighting the boss but other groups dealing with reinforcements), or claiming a primary node (shard of a god or such), or building up a city node to enact a world-level spell.

Reward systems are split between "world contribution" and "research contribution." World contribution is based on participating in events in the living world and contributing to the vE war effort. For example, taking over a node would be an in-world GW2 scale zone event chain. By helping to contribute resources for preparation and participating in the combat event itself, you earn World Contribution points. Once the the node is claimed (unless it is attacked later and needs to be defended), this event is not repeated in the living world, but you can instead repeat a simulation of the event (i.e. farmable instanced version), framed as helping to research the threat. Research Contribution goes toward catch-up gear, world contribution toward prestige currency when the world resets. I'd want a cap on world contribution per day/week (daily but you can accumulate up to a week's worth) and per event, but this might incentivize meta gaming (you contribute up to your cap for the event, then you leave and go to another event).

The resource node system would probably look like something out of Black Desert Online. You hire retainers to help collect, process, and move resources, and logging out in a node helps reinforce it while you are offline.

The skill system would probably be something between GW2 and Archeage - due to the skill shakeup every season, it's probably better not to lock people into specific classes with fixed skills. Maybe borrow the Path of Exile skill gem system, though this risks the same problem as POE (with major meta skills dominating representation), but this is helped by the skill changes every season.

The setting will need some kind of global communication net (not simply outsource this to external communities/organization on discord or community tools). This could be handled by magic or tech - there aren't enough tech settings but an advanced tech setting will bring questions about scaling beyond the scope of a single world; it's easier to contextualize the cycle in terms of divine/magic/fantasy.

There's several parts of the concept I have trouble with:
* What rewards players should be given when the world resets? Power increases from "prestiging" (as though it was an incremental game) are an obvious option but they risk being too powerful and either scaling too far or capping out. Maybe simple, free shop currency for cosmetic rewards would be best.
* Incentives for RvR. Is there an extra bonus for being part of the group that defeats the threat, so you're incentivized to selfishly help only yourself and your guild instead of the global war effort? Maybe the threat doesn't expose itself for a month or two, so the first month is given over to player infighting to become strong, developing grudges which might continue when the threat becomes active?
* Incentives for fighting to the bitter end during a losing scenario? Can city nodes "fling a light into the future" to help the next cycle if they gain enough resources (i.e. survive long enough)?

Finally, this is obviously a very ambitious project. How can it be scaled down? Can we get a skyrim-level game out of this? Single player offers more freedom in terms of how the world evolves and the economy works (since everything can run on NPCs instead of needing the involvement of a critical mass of cooperating players), but even Skyrim is a massive world. Can it be scaled down further to something like a mod of TOME, just to function as a proof of concept?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 12:17:44 pm by Niveras »

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: January 12, 2022, 12:34:11 pm »

An RvRvE game. MMO (because of course).

Basic premise is the most of the world is given over to standard RvR fighting over resources and territory. The gimmick is that there's a major AI threat that's also expanding and changing the world, by conquering nodes (including quest hubs) and growing stronger. Minor resources nodes might simply give a global health and damage increase, while major nodes might cause new types of elite and boss mobs to spawn during encounters, and losing a major city node will cause a world-event boss to spawn and attack random nodes outside of the threat's normal influence. Lost resource nodes are permanently consumed but can be reclaimed and garrisoned by NPCs to negate their benefit to the enemy.

The gimmick is that players can fail to counter the threat and lose. Then world is then reset by the in-game gods or whatever Powers That Be, somewhat like Planetside's continents. Same happens if they win.

With a functional reset built into the system, you can do a lot more than typical static worlds. A reset might radically terrain, new (lower scale) threats are present in different places, extensive changes to skill balance (to deliberately upset the meta). NPCs might change. The AI's strategic priorities and behavior changes each season (it can also have its decision tree/weighting prodded by devs during a season to help upset predictability). The AI threat itself might change, too - the game might start with only 1 antagonist (maybe a silithid/tyranid kind of bug race), but expansions could add new threats like shadow demons or ork swarms, or minor NPC races are given a divine boost and become the main antagonist. The "final" event might also change - it could be a world-scale boss raid (not only fighting the boss but other groups dealing with reinforcements), or claiming a primary node (shard of a god or such), or building up a city node to enact a world-level spell.

Reward systems are split between "world contribution" and "research contribution." World contribution is based on participating in events in the living world and contributing to the vE war effort. For example, taking over a node would be an in-world GW2 scale zone event chain. By helping to contribute resources for preparation and participating in the combat event itself, you earn World Contribution points. Once the the node is claimed (unless it is attacked later and needs to be defended), this event is not repeated in the living world, but you can instead repeat a simulation of the event (i.e. farmable instanced version), framed as helping to research the threat. Research Contribution goes toward catch-up gear, world contribution toward prestige currency when the world resets. I'd want a cap on world contribution per day/week (daily but you can accumulate up to a week's worth) and per event, but this might incentivize meta gaming (you contribute up to your cap for the event, then you leave and go to another event).

The resource node system would probably look like something out of Black Desert Online. You hire retainers to help collect, process, and move resources, and logging out in a node helps reinforce it while you are offline.

The skill system would probably be something between GW2 and Archeage - due to the skill shakeup every season, it's probably better not to lock people into specific classes with fixed skills. Maybe borrow the Path of Exile skill gem system, though this risks the same problem as POE (with major meta skills dominating representation), but this is helped by the skill changes every season.

The setting will need some kind of global communication net (not simply outsource this to external communities/organization on discord or community tools). This could be handled by magic or tech - there aren't enough tech settings but an advanced tech setting will bring questions about scaling beyond the scope of a single world; it's easier to contextualize the cycle in terms of divine/magic/fantasy.

There's several parts of the concept I have trouble with:
* What rewards players should be given when the world resets? Power increases from "prestiging" (as though it was an incremental game) are an obvious option but they risk being too powerful and either scaling too far or capping out. Maybe simple, free shop currency for cosmetic rewards would be best.
* Incentives for RvR. Is there an extra bonus for being part of the group that defeats the threat, so you're incentivized to selfishly help only yourself and your guild instead of the global war effort? Maybe the threat doesn't expose itself for a month or two, so the first month is given over to player infighting to become strong, developing grudges which might continue when the threat becomes active?
* Incentives for fighting to the bitter end during a losing scenario? Can city nodes "fling a light into the future" to help the next cycle if they gain enough resources (i.e. survive long enough)?

Finally, this is obviously a very ambitious project. How can it be scaled down? Can we get a skyrim-level game out of this? Single player offers more freedom in terms of how the world evolves and the economy works (since everything can run on NPCs instead of needing the involvement of a critical mass of cooperating players), but even Skyrim is a massive world. Can it be scaled down further to something like a mod of TOME, just to function as a proof of concept?

If you take out the RvR pvp stuff this is similar to a concept I developed about 10 years ago, mostly on mmorpg.com. The way that the AI winning was handled was basically that players would evacuate through a gate to a new world that was at a lower level of AI power. You could even go back through gates to fight in the defeated worlds if you built up enough player power. Crusade style type thing. So players would always maintain their personal power but economic and capital power would be lost. The global comms system in the lore was just basic telepathy. Game worlds involved "discoveries" over time in already cleared areas so the world wasn't static. Basically cities beneath the sands/ground/waves and a few other kinds of things. There were resources that came from natural sources but a ton of resources came from the "monster kingdoms" of the AI and from creatures so even if you clear a whole world somehow that just meant that you had to travel elsewhere to continue to gain resources.

It had a very unique and fancy magic system and you didn't really have "abilities" per say. Just time-based training of basic skills and then magical options were based on a magic language/written rune system that provided magical options through various channels and the average player used rune enchanted equipment.

Of course a fancy MMO is too much for indie people really so it never happened but I did get to talk to Raph Koster a few times about stuff. I believe he had an account on the site though I can't remember for sure and also he talked about some stuff on his blog and responded to comments.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #8533 on: February 02, 2022, 01:49:29 pm »

Pokemon, but with guns and sweatshops.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: February 02, 2022, 03:38:51 pm »

Pokemon, but with guns and sweatshops.
UZI has evolved into MP5!
MP5 used FLASH BANG on CHILD WORKERS - IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

edit: Alternatively -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 03:41:01 pm by AlStar »
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 577