Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955303 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8400 on: November 18, 2020, 12:15:17 am »

Why is there little to no games based in the Korean War?

We have a million WWII games.  More than a blue moon's worth of Vietnam stuff.  "Desert Storm" was basically a free game title for a while.  Even WWI gets abused for a game gimmick or two, or a flight sim.  Nowadays they make up some conflict for "Modern Warfare" or whatever.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: November 18, 2020, 12:19:24 am »

Never really entered the public consciousness as much as those other wars, I think.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: November 18, 2020, 02:46:00 pm »

im not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else but: i would like a space game where you can manage your own station like DS9. i want to go out, raiding and pillaging (or patrolling and protecting trade if i feel like a good boy), and come back to my station where i can get out and walk around. id have a bar on the main promenade like quarks and can get a drink. maybe id have a security manager like odo who constantly bickers with my quark-like. and this quarkclone can occasionally give you hints on good loot or things to rob, or just valuable trade routes.

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: November 18, 2020, 03:54:22 pm »

Im pretty sure there are games like that already.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: November 20, 2020, 08:41:52 pm »

I've been on a Runaway Guys binge of the Fortune Street collab and honestly I've been dying to find a game like it for the switch or something for that party game feel instead of doing monopoly and haven't been able to find anything :c

so yeah that's a game i wishe existed :P

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: November 21, 2020, 11:45:27 pm »

hey guys, what about:

an horror themed dungeon exploring squad RPG in the likes of Darkest Dungeon........but its set in the SCP Foundation universe (or something akin to it like in Lobotomy Corporation)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: November 22, 2020, 12:25:37 am »

hey guys, what about:

an horror themed dungeon exploring squad RPG in the likes of Darkest Dungeon........but its set in the SCP Foundation universe (or something akin to it like in Lobotomy Corporation)
+1

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: November 22, 2020, 02:00:11 am »

hey guys, what about:

Plot twist: It's set in SCP-3008.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: November 22, 2020, 01:08:25 pm »

hey guys, what about:

Plot twist: It's set in SCP-3008.
+1 to this too

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: November 22, 2020, 03:28:16 pm »

OKAY, now for something a bit different. So, anybody remember "Pirates Constructible Strategy Game"? No? Well you can read up on it here.

I didn't really play it TBF, but I collected the shit out of the ships because they were cool as hell. I would really love an army engagement/campaign level/scope game based on similar principals. Somewhere between CCG, Operational Combat, and Pen & Paper. Extra Bonus Points to include/base rules on creating your own units and printing them out. Something like a 2D version of this:

Cheap wargaming focused on customizability and emergent gameplay/army rulesets (maybe constructed around a point limit with soft ability restrictions, but otherwise created in the mind of the players). Something like this might already exist, but idk how close it is to my fever vision lol.

EDIT: Something like a codified version of MS Paint Battles(?) in wargame flavor.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:40:55 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: November 24, 2020, 12:41:47 am »

I was rewatching Mandalore's videos on F.E.A.R. and was reintroduced to his notion of how the series could have been about the First Encounter Assault Recon team's experiences with various spooky happenings, like necromancers! Vampires! Cults! Skeleton war! Instead of the series wallowing in Spooky Ghost Girl Alma and Armacham which was mostly resolved in the first game.

Anyway, a more anthology-like bent to the series, done well, sounds like it would've been way cooler than what actually happened, but that's all dead and buried now. Alas.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:03:30 am by Fire and Glory »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: November 24, 2020, 01:36:27 am »

I've been thinking lately that I'd like a cross between Starsector and Star Traders: Frontiers.

Starsector is basically mount & blade in space and is pretty darn good at it, but it lacks any real character for the people in it. Factions have some, but you don't really get any of that relationship building that you can in Star Traders.

Star Traders is just about the closest you can get to a generic Firefly-like game. You have a ship and a crew and no real home. You can tie yourself to a faction or just work for whomever. Or be a pirate. Anyway, the combat is simple and you don't get fleet action the way you do in Starsector, but you do meet lots of interesting characters and build relationships with them. You can even have some people in a faction hate you while others love you.

It'd be neat to have a cross between the two. Maybe not quite so expansive as Starsector (no colonies perhaps) but with more fleshed out people in it and more to your captain and officers than just generic level-up perks.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: November 24, 2020, 09:58:11 am »

Honestly. Starsector being as modable as it is, it might only take an aspiring developer using quest and market contact code to make that happen.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: November 24, 2020, 05:53:31 pm »

Some projects are big enough as modding that you might be better off making your own game rather than put that much work into a mod. This is probably the reason that those really ambitious mods that totally remake a game don't happen more often.

If you want a great character system in Starsector you'd have to design and build that from scratch, balance it, test it, debug it, and you're inevitably going to get people complaining at you for ongoing support for something you made for free, which is pretty much guaranteed since Starsector is a moving target. Plus, you have inter-mod compatibility to keep in mind, and people are going to get upset at you about that, too.

So at that point, just make your own game built around a character-centric engine, rather than shoehorning it on top of something else. There are many points I'd work on if doing that, but one of them is the concept of a faction owning something. In games, often things are just labeled as being owned or part of a faction, but in real life ... the concept of ownership only makes sense as a social contract between individuals. So, imagine if two mining companies both believe they have been granted rights to mine a specific asteroid, but those rights have been granted by either different factions, or different governmental departments who's jurisdictions overlap in some way. You could have some really complicated types of stories this way. I really like the idea of "procedural bureaucracy" leading to conflict, and it would be deeper than the normal way that's done where you just make a faction, then divide that up into territories, call those provinces or something, then proceduraly generate the details about each province.

Or you get things where when a faction's last city or planet falls, the faction "fades into history". The issue here is that the game engine is built around the "truth" that a specific faction owns a city or planet. So this doesn't allow for more complex stories to emerge naturally, such as a government in exile plotting to retake their home planet, or similar. Because of this kind of thing, merely tacking a character system on top of a given faction system may not allow as many organic types of stories to unfold.

I'd like to try making something where factions merely exist in people's minds, rather than being hard-coded as truths in the game engine.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:24:52 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: November 24, 2020, 06:18:01 pm »

I was rewatching Mandalore's videos on F.E.A.R. and was reintroduced to his notion of how the series could have been about the First Encounter Assault Recon team's experiences with various spooky happenings, like necromancers! Vampires! Cults! Skeleton war! Instead of the series wallowing in Spooky Ghost Girl Alma and Armacham which was mostly resolved in the first game.

Anyway, a more anthology-like bent to the series, done well, sounds like it would've been way cooler than what actually happened, but that's all dead and buried now. Alas.

Wowee that would have been amazing
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 577