Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 958477 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8295 on: November 28, 2019, 01:41:39 pm »

I want a multiplayer VR mech simulation to come out, one where players have roles similar to real-life tanks such as gunner, driver, loader and commander.

LOAD AN INCINDIARY SHELL OR SO HELP ME I WILL TURN THIS GIANT ROBOT AROUND
And I'll form the head!
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: December 11, 2019, 04:11:31 am »

It's a Skyrim-like first-person action RPG. You play as the captain of the guard, and you have to stop a cheating, all-knowing murderhobo (the hero/player/chosen one/etc) from pillaging your town, stealing your goods, murdering your guardsmen, etc.

One issue: you're the only NPC with any shred of awareness. Nobody will lift a hand against the player, not because they're afraid or anything, but just because that's not what friendly town NPCs do to the Chosen One. The guards will stop him if they see a crime, of course, but they're easy pickings due to poor pathfinding and no object permanence.

I envision it as a parody of High Noon.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: December 13, 2019, 04:35:34 am »

In a similar vein, I'd like to see something that gives just a little more attention to how inherently terrifying RPG protagonists actually are.

Some RPGs will try and explain the vast power difference between the player and the everyman NPC by saying that "You just worked harder for it". "Yes Timmy, the reason I stand head, shoulder and abs above every other citizen here is because my daddy taught me how to hold a sword when I was your age, and then about a week ago I just started killing everything. And that's why I can take a dragon's fist to the face and just walk it off, whereas you would die to a single rat", nah, I'm not buying that.

Others handwave it by saying "YOU are the chosen one! You're granted the overwhelming powers of Mary Sue!", but that's old hat and generally wasn't very creative to begin with. It also runs into the problem of every player character being the chosen one, which just gets a bit messy.

Nah. I prefer the idea of a race of immortals inflicted upon the world, with powers beyond what normal mortals could even begin to aspire to. They rescue, burn, save, destroy, provide and steal as they wish, because there's no power above them that can tell them what to do or what is right. Not even death has any hold over them, as they just pop right back into existence after a little while. The ultimate end for every living thing is nothing more than an annoyance to them.

Are they going to enter random people's houses and just take whatever isn't nailed down? Of course! They have no concept of there being anything that isn't theirs! Are the owners going to let them do it? Absolutely, and they're going to be really damn polite while it's happening because they don't want to risk pissing this unstoppable killing machine off!

Even if you could somehow manage to bring one of these things down, what good is it going to do you? Who knows how much life and limb would be lost in the fight, and they're just going to show up again a couple days later and enact bloody, overwhelming revenge for the inconvenience you imparted on them.

Are the villagers going to be happy to see this walking storm of murder enter their quaint little town? No. Heroes are terrifying and uncontrollable, and beyond any forces you could conceivably try to direct them with. Best thing to do is just keep your head down, don't make eye contact, and wait until they leave. Living in constant fear and oppression thanks to these walking gods.

Sure, there are good ones out there too... Immortals who dedicate themselves to helping those less fortunate, who respect the lives and boundaries of the inferior mortals, who attempt to make their mark on the world be one of goodness and selflessness... But you can't know which is which. It's not like the fuckers dress accordingly... The Dark Lord of Slaughter is over here in a fuchsia bathrobe and sparkling crown, while the chap helping rebuild the burned-down orphanage is clad entirely in abyssal black spiky plate armor inscribed with red glowing runes of destruction and vampirism.

So, what's a mortal even supposed to do in this situation? Keep trying to live a normal life, and just push the omnipresent immortal threat out of your mind? Move somewhere particularly obscure and remote, in the hopes that none show up? Become delusional and try to form an underground secret society dedicated to fighting back? Spark a cult of worship around one immortal and pray that it will protect you from others of its kind out of a sense of ego, while you hope all the while that you picked the right one to back?

Lots of interesting stuff that could happen there... At least, I find it a bit more compelling than just "It's you! The hero of Kvatch!" everywhere you go.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: December 13, 2019, 08:22:15 am »

How about it not being that they come back after some time, but rather that the world itself rewinds whenever they die. That is how Elder Scrolls Save/Load mechanic works, after all.

But there would be a catch. They would retain their memory (And having memories of themselves diing would eventualy drive them insane), and a bit of chaos would be unleashed in the area, changing the state of the world (but not the memories of others).

What I mean is: At time XX, state of the world is A, memories of people are A, memories of hero are A.
                        At time XX+Y, state of the world is B, memories of people are B, memories of hero are B. Hero dies
                        It is time XX again, state of the world is C (which is very similar to A), memories of people are A, memories of hero are B.

So if you could swear you put your keys in your pocket, but they are on the table, you might be forgetfull. Or a hero might have just died and rewound time nearby. Sometimes these changes would cause harm to others, not protected by this rewinding. And killing the hero would cause it again.

So having heroes nearby is a danger. They do not care about wounds or danger, they are prone to insanity, they disregard the law, because picking a fight with them is not going to end well for the other person.
But they are also nescessary. They are the only ones who can face monster without great casualties.

I guess that heroes would not rewind time if they die of old age or are slain by another hero.

The game could be: The player would not play a hero. The game would only keep one savefile and would delete it if the character died. The goal of the game would be to survive a hero solving a crisis in the area. And both times and changes of the surrondings would be random, not allowing players to learn them. One could expect them to come in sequences, as the hero dies several times to a monster before defeating it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:23:47 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: December 13, 2019, 08:23:07 am »

Accident
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: December 13, 2019, 08:04:52 pm »

Accident

You play as an evil spirit causing accidents. You start off by tripping people going down stairs, and the game ends with you causing nuclear armageddon.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: December 13, 2019, 09:01:54 pm »

You play as a stunt dummy on those test car crashes.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: December 14, 2019, 12:20:59 am »

You play as a stunt dummy on those test car crashes.

Ever try Truck Dismount?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: December 14, 2019, 04:30:38 am »

Accident

You play as an evil spirit causing accidents. You start off by tripping people going down stairs, and the game ends with you causing nuclear armageddon.
There are such games.
Murphy's Laws

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: December 14, 2019, 04:39:51 am »

Accident

There are such games.
Murphy's Laws

I can't get it to load even when I explicitly enable Flash, but I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't involve being a cat.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: January 04, 2020, 07:39:21 pm »

So like... I would like the commander mode from M&B: Napoleonic Wars... but in MMO format.

Basically, you command a regiment of soldiers in a somewhat anachronistic low/dark fantasy world roughly analogous to 1300-1600 Europe. You can change their weapons and armor/clothing as well as some basic operational philosophy. Lots of emphasis on color/flair vs camoflauge as well as protection vs mobility. You can dress yourself and few NPC bodyguards individually, specializing yourself for command vs frontline fighting.

The central story/gameplay of the MMO would be campaigning through a wartorn border march between two empires. To keep it fun, you could switch sides very easily (either having separate regiments per account or simply switching colors like mercenaries) to avoid one side getting too heavily favored over the other. Your main objectives would be to sweep through towns and villages (or raiding the enemy) for supplies and building up reputation (from combat). All the customization would be fairly cheap so that people can play how they want and the real grinding would be in currying favor with the either sides general staff to lobby for your (guild's) own fortress. Player fortresses and a small number of NPC fortresses would periodically be targeted for sieges which are multi-day/week events with castramentation, circumvallation, assaults, sallies, and attempts to relieve or break the siege.

Eventually, should one side be considerably more successful than the other, the losing faction's regional capital will be targetted in a massive, server-wide siege event. If the attackers win, that side wins the war and participating players get a medal. Then the server is reset (possibly cycling through several maps?)

Speaking of which, there would be two methods of leveling-up. The first would be through fighting, as you see more and more combat your stats will slowly grow. The second would be through the medals, which could be won by participating in events or achieving certain feats and challenges--you could wear a certain number of medals for different bonuses to your regiment.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8306 on: January 04, 2020, 07:43:12 pm »

That game name is Tiger Knight. It's good...But it's a MMO, so except to grind or to pay.
But yeah. Mount and Blade fighting plus having an upgradable retinue with you, and having to coordinate your troops and strategy with your allies is very good.

Gonzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: January 04, 2020, 09:50:33 pm »

I wish a realistic Vietnam war FPS with a realistic, intense campaign and good multiplayer was made with modern technology. Since Vietcong we really haven't gotten any good Vietnam games (Rising Storm 2 doesn't count, it's multiplayer-only).

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8308 on: January 12, 2020, 08:19:34 am »

An idea I had that I may actually try and put together a prototype/poc for. It occurs to me there's a lack of games that give that Delta Green/X-Files "investigate, evaluate, exterminate" feel, so tldr is Delta Green + XCOM + CK2.

So the basic idea is you control an organisation that fights against and suppresses the occult/supernatural forces in the world. You put together teams of agents with a range of skills and dispatch them to handle 'incidents', which are put together like CK2 event chains. They'll phone in to report their progress and ask for advice on how to proceed, and how they progress in the chain is based on the skills of the team.

As agents gain experience they can skill up or gain new traits, but can also go mad from what they've seen/learnt. So you have to balance experience with their rising insanity. Or just use them up, burn them out, and ship in the next lot of mooks.

Events are all little stories patterned like Delta Green sessions. So you need to respond to moral quandaries regarding people who know too much or are seemingly innocent, and the psychological damage on your agents that inflicts, as well as occasionally just burning everything down.

How do you deal with a missing child who reappears two decades later without aging a day?

What if the team doctor found microscopic surgery scars all over their body. How do you know they're still really even human? Do you try and extract them for long term study at a secure location, shuttle them off to an orphanage, an autopsy or vivisection may provide more information about who took them and what they did, or should you just put two between that things eyes and chuck it's corpse into an incinerator?

And what about the park ranger who found them? He knows the name, he knows he disappeared decades ago. His report is what flagged it up. He has asked too many questions. A potential recruit, or unfortunate collateral?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:53:26 am by MorleyDev »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: January 12, 2020, 03:28:33 pm »

To a lesser degree, isn't that what The Daily Cthonicle was supposed to be?
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 577