Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 958280 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7980 on: October 24, 2018, 03:57:37 pm »

Warfare 1917 isn't anything like what you describe but also isn't bad, it's one of those old flash games where you mash troops against each other in a side scrolling setting.

Anyway you could handle most of it in an over-world strategic view, with sliders setting how aggressive or defensive you want your trench to be, taking into account supplies and available manpower/reinforcements. Then if you want to try some kind of specific military action you can try to run that manually in tactical.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: October 24, 2018, 04:22:50 pm »

I'm familiar with warfare 1917, and similar attempts such as Command of War and at least one mobile game whose name currently escapes me.

The issue with those is that the tug-of-war style of gameplay puts just a bit too much emphasis on the individual soldiers, and trenches have a tendency of never sitting still as snipers can nonchalantly pick off everyone in the opposing trench and either force a charge or just depopulate the enemy nation by killing expensive people faster than the expensive people trees can grow them.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate these games for trying to incorporate trenches into the gameplay in an important way, unlike the "it's good cover" trench mechanics found in Company of Heroes and that other WW1 game based on the Men of War engine... I just feel that it still was missing a lot.

And as for games of other genres, well... I have no goddamn idea what the NecroVision devs were on, but judging from the game's general design progression it must have been in the form of edibles.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: October 24, 2018, 04:36:47 pm »

Isn't there an old Toady game about being a World War One trench medic? Something in that style, or maybe a management strategy game might be more fun and more accurate than a fighting game.

Most WW1 games I've seen are flying games, mainly flash games.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7983 on: October 24, 2018, 06:23:47 pm »

This is most likely because a semi-realistic representation of WW1 trench warfare would be... Dreadfully dull from an RTS warmaster perspective, if done in the framework of a traditional RTS. It's a whole lot of waiting, and every now and then a bit of shooting that may or may not hit anything.

So, how would one go about making a game that's actually worth playing, and yet maintains a somewhat faithful representation of trench warfare?

One way of doing it that might have potential, in my opinion, is to focus on the supply and logistics portion. Do it a bit like a city builder, where you need to provide the troop transport, equipment and ammunition distribution to the trenches so that they can continue their function with regular losses and consumption. Actual charges, artillery strikes and sabotage missions would be treated more as disaster events that you'd need to respond to and recover from (provided you were already managing to keep the line strong enough to survive and hang on to the territory).

It needs work, but I'd very much like to see more games with extensive trench systems that manage to find a way of addressing the actual "pace" of those scenarios in a playable fashion.
WW2 was like that too in certain times and places, yet we can make games out of that time period. All wars are lots of boring waiting for days or months, only for a few minutes or hours of violence so that isn't really an excuse either. WW1 wasn't just trench warfare, the eastern front involved a lot of maneuver and resembled the norm of WW2 infantry combat.

A lot went into the tactics of WW1 combat. Choosing when to charge, timing the artillery, choosing when to withdraw, when to commit the reserves, where to assign support, how best to assault a fortification, how to prepare for an enemy counterattack. And outside of the big battles, there were loads of skirmishes where small units needed to recon, remove an obstacle, or delay enemy skirmishing elements. You CAN make a traditional RTS set in WW1, it's just that western preconceptions about WW1 keep them from doing the research necessary to make it believable and interesting. You also underestimate what you can do with abstraction and exaggeration, after all it's not as if Company of Heroes is anything like a realistic depiction of combat in WW2, nor is it even a good representation of what people or soldiers were like in the 40s...

As an aside, War of the Worlds is actually a decent RTS that's set around that time period. I haven't played it but it's cool that it exists.

E:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate these games for trying to incorporate trenches into the gameplay in an important way, unlike the "it's good cover" trench mechanics found in Company of Heroes and that other WW1 game based on the Men of War engine... I just feel that it still was missing a lot.
Battle of Empires is physics based combat though, cover doesn't reduce damage, it stops bullets that might have hit your units. That's part of what's great about the Men of War system, because it isn't like CoH where the squads have a collective health bar, there's locational damage and bullets and shrapnel actually have to hit men to kill them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:35:33 pm by Parsely »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: October 24, 2018, 07:12:14 pm »

War Academy.

You could even stablish a franchise set on different ocations and historic periods, even fantasy ones.

i did some more thinking on this potential franchise.

some of you might know/remember and some might not that I, err, am into certain games that are not fit to be spoken about on these forums. one of these, properly cleaned up and removed of the NSFW content, could serve as a very solid base for this kind of game. at its heart, this game is a training sim. students are represented by a "file" that you can access by clicking on their portrait. you can see their portraits by clicking on their class. in many ways this is similar to prison architect as well; at first you can manage a single class and get to know each student personally based on the events that happen and the info in their file. this is kinda like CK2 in this regard; even tho its events are if/and statements that are modified by whether or not they have a certain trait, it somehow fits to make these figures have personalities.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: October 28, 2018, 08:06:12 pm »

Digital + Emily is Away.

They are pretty similar, though. Well, EIA hasn't involved any internet-destroying abominations yet, but still.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: October 28, 2018, 09:04:46 pm »

A dungeon crawler where I get to play as a robot and collect parts to customize myself.

Cogmind, maybe?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: October 28, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »

POLYBOT?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: October 29, 2018, 04:54:35 am »

A dungeon crawler where I get to play as a robot and collect parts to customize myself.

Cogmind, maybe?

One can only hope that they managed to find a game to play in the seven years since that request was made.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: October 29, 2018, 06:16:04 am »

jesus christ that really is a quote from 2011 what in gods name are you doing

(cogmind is really good)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: November 01, 2018, 06:37:52 pm »

Cogmind, maybe?

One can only hope that they managed to find a game to play in the seven years since that request was made.

Ah. I ... didn't see the date.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: November 01, 2018, 08:36:25 pm »

A game where you're managing a fairly small mercenary outfit, with both moving around in a strategic layer and fighting in a tactical layer. Sorta like Battle Brothers.
Except rather than a flat map, you're moving around on a spherical planet, and can use your own craft or catch rides up into orbit, and to other planets in the solar system, and to other systems by traveling through wormholes.
This is important because units in orbit can look down on the planet, sending you intel, or have reinforcements deorbit and drop directly into your fight if you need them.

This is also inspired by Cortex Command, so not all of your units need to be independently acting humans, but can be remotely controlled robots and such as well. Of course, having your combat units rely on radio signals is risky, and makes electronic warfare a consideration. This also can be relevant when trying to communicate with units in orbit.

Combat between space ships is also possible, but rather than having its own tactical layer it all takes place on the strategic layer, with missiles and other projectiles traveling like any other craft on orbital trajectories. If an unarmored craft gets hit by something, it'll almost certainly be destroyed along with any crew, so keeping valuable employees in space can be a dangerous proposition if the enemy has space presence as well.

Orbital bombardment is possible and very powerful, but expensive due to the fuel requirements of deorbiting the projectile. While it's possible to kill things on a planet from orbit with no risk of counter attack, it might not be profitable, forcing you to land ground units if the target of your contract has defenses against orbital weapons.

Everything in space has its orbit simulated, and that matters for how things go on the ground. If you start a fight on the ground and your spy satellite is over the other side of the planet, you're not getting intel from it. If you start that fight with the satellite in place, you'll only get intel from it as long as it remains over your head; if the fight takes too long, it'll move out of the way and you lose your overwatch. If your spy satellite is in an equatorial orbit, you'll never get any use out of it if you're fighting near the poles. If your satellite is in a polar orbit, you might need to wait a full day before it's in the right place.

Basically, I want a fairly realistic depiction of how space travel affects combat strategy.
And also a world map that's actually a sphere, because that's cool.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: November 02, 2018, 05:41:51 pm »

After John Wick 2, I'd love to see a video game set in that universe. Obviously you'd play as John, you'd have a story mode, missions, etc. The main appeal would be fighting and shooting gameplay that's as crisp and precise as the movie choreography.

And then there'd be a "survival" mode. Where you just wander around a city or a large enough level, and assassins will just keep coming after you. You have to loot weapons, bullets, medical supplies, food, and just survive as long as possible while avoiding police ( which should be relatively easy ) as well as assassins, who can be disguised as random civilians ( which will be a lot harder ).
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: November 02, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »

What abilities would John Marston Wick have? Bullet time? Something like R2D2 RDR2's Deadeye?

EDIT: The "Mark and Execute" mechanic from Splinter Cell: Conviction?

Why would a shooter game character need to eat?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: November 02, 2018, 06:57:28 pm »

What abilities would John Marston Wick have? Bullet time? Something like R2D2 RDR2's Deadeye?

EDIT: The "Mark and Execute" mechanic from Splinter Cell: Conviction?

Why would a shooter game character need to eat?

the baba yaga only needs to feast on the blood of his enemies
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 577