Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 958230 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7920 on: August 17, 2018, 11:43:15 pm »

...Oooh, you actually engage with your musing, I think Endless Legend is pretty close to what you want, being a very weird-fantasy 4X game. I've heard that it's quite good.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: August 17, 2018, 11:48:38 pm »

I want civ, but high fantasy. I get that I could mod it, but also I don't want to see "The dwarves have constructed the statue of liberty"
Civilization 3 had a wonderful Warhammer mod, very detailed and you wouldn't find anything modern or out of place, it was a total conversion.

Endless legend is another option. Also I think there's other one that also had turn based tactical battles, can't remember how was named.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: August 17, 2018, 11:54:00 pm »

...Oooh, you actually engage with your musing, I think Endless Legend is pretty close to what you want, being a very weird-fantasy 4X game. I've heard that it's quite good.
I want civ, but high fantasy. I get that I could mod it, but also I don't want to see "The dwarves have constructed the statue of liberty"
Civilization 3 had a wonderful Warhammer mod, very detailed and you wouldn't find anything modern or out of place, it was a total conversion.

Endless legend is another option. Also I think there's other one that also had turn based tactical battles, can't remember how was named.
I'll give these a look, thanks for the suggestions. Hope I can find the warhammer mod.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: August 18, 2018, 03:10:44 am »

I'm pretty sure you can mod all new wonders too. I recall there being a heap of fun Civ II complete conversions back in the day, but they're hard to find now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:13:34 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: August 18, 2018, 05:09:55 am »

Civ 4 has a host of those, mostly derived from the Fall from Heaven line. Pretty fond of Master of Mana, personally, last I tooled around with it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: August 20, 2018, 11:15:14 pm »

Did you mean Master of Magic? It's Civilisation, with fantasy races, magic spells, a huge host of enemies and special heroes. One of my favorites of all time, go early. Infinite replayability, very difficult. Global spells count as "wonders" and a mirror/upside down plane as well. Great game.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: August 21, 2018, 12:45:22 am »

I used to love Master of Magic. If you don't mind DOS Box it will still run pretty well on modern machines. For a modern game that is pretty similar, Fallen Enchantress is a good bet.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: August 23, 2018, 07:16:49 pm »

Warlock: Master of the Arcane? It's basically Civ 5 in a fantasy world with big spells you can cast.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: August 23, 2018, 08:21:08 pm »

Age of Wonders and Endless Legend too.

EDIT: I already recommended Endless Legend.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: August 23, 2018, 09:56:57 pm »

There is also Planar Conquest, which specifically attempts to be a modern Master of Magic. Though I haven't played it, so I don't know how good a job it does.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: August 28, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »

Age of Wonders and Endless Legend too.

EDIT: I already recommended Endless Legend.

I like Age of Wonders and also Fallen Enchantress
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7931 on: August 28, 2018, 06:02:11 pm »

Scene:

You enter a room.
A private study. 19th century furnishings. A nice fireplace. High backed chair. etc.
High-bit pixel art.
The bookshelves are empty, except for a copy of the Odyssey.
Clicking on the book, you find a letter.

"Dear Son/Daughter... I forget which you were...

Sorry, I sold all my books to pay for my opium addiction.
I could not bare to face my failure as an intellectual.

This is all that is left.

P.S.

I suspect you are quite sharp, even if I can't remember your face or your name, what with me
having no time for you and sending you to boarding school this past decade.
Also, because of the opium. It really fucks with your mind.

If you would like to be a public intellectual and compete in the quote battles at the club,
you just might be able to rebuild this library. You can start by reading this book..."

-------

A game set in the 19th century, where you collect books, read them, and use the knowledge within to battle it out with other antiquarians and intellectual types.
Beating people in battle can help you collect more books.

Fill up your shelves with texts, and gradually move up the chain to establish yourself as the leading quote battling intellectual of the age.

--------

Book titles would be from real books, with actual extracts (all public domain because they are old.) Maybe a page or two of neat quotes from each book. You have to read them, remember them, and then deploy them later to catch out people when they misquote somebody.

That's just pretentious enough to work.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: August 29, 2018, 02:49:06 am »

Apparently the last time I looked at this thread it was at page 26.  Fancy that.

>"Hey what if Skate but also Doom?"
https://twitter.com/chonkurabb/status/1001274621239406593

>"OKAY BUT what if Doomskate but also Tachikoma??"
https://twitter.com/chonkurabb/status/1034258702788907008

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: August 29, 2018, 04:49:56 am »

Did you mean Master of Magic? It's Civilisation, with fantasy races, magic spells, a huge host of enemies and special heroes. One of my favorites of all time, go early. Infinite replayability, very difficult. Global spells count as "wonders" and a mirror/upside down plane as well. Great game.
It's belated, but no, I specifically meant Master of Mana, which is a Civ 4/Fall From Heaven mod that's pretty great imo. Folks here at B12 tooled around with MP games a couple times, iirc. There's actually a bit of a LP here on B12, though it kinda' looks like some/all of the pics are dead.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: August 30, 2018, 03:48:05 pm »

A fire-emblemesque game where, rather then control a small group of plucky heroes, you're in charge of the mooks sent to stop them. You're given a bunch of "squads" on an overland map and are charged with killing said heroes with them.

The heroes will absolutely destroy these early squads but your pool of resources will slowly increase if you dedicate a few squads with finding resources in certain areas and throwing away a few squads at the party is essential to keeping them distracted and forcing them to go back to town to heal and resupply.

As the game goes on, you slowly accumulate more and more points while the heroes try to complete quests and get stronger, prompting you to send bosses to distract them while continuing to scour the world for more resources to throw at them. To win, you would need to either wipe out the party (very difficult to do until the late game) or spend a large amount of resources on a "dooms-day" clock to complete, or maybe just destroy a certain percentage of the world's towns and cities.

For the heroes to win, they would need to either destroy all of your spawn points or complete enough quests to track down the "final boss" and defeat it.
You could also be able to design your squads and even give them weaknesses in return for more points to spend on stats or cheaper recruitment costs, such as being forced to attack any hero in range, or being extremely weak to arrows.

I'd imagine that, strong or not, the ai for the heroes would have to be pretty good so they don't just suicide themselves on your spears like a mook-level ai would. They would need to know how to use the terrain, attack the right squads and when to fall back and heal up.
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 577