Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 957861 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7560 on: August 29, 2017, 05:28:29 pm »

A game where you design machines and send them out to kill people.
If this exists, tell me.
If this doesn't exist, I just found myself a new programming project.
You don't explicitly kill people but Earth 2150 is an RTS where you can design vehicles, Warzone 2100 and Metal Fatigue are similar apparently but I haven't played them.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: August 29, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »

No, but I meant a game where you have to design all the individual moving parts and how they fit together.
I'm thinking something steampunky, with gears, axles, valves, and all that.
I'm the sort of person who would totally be into that.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7563 on: September 09, 2017, 06:05:27 pm »

A post-apocalyptic road racing game with touch-based driving controls and ad-hoc repairing. Friction is modeled well so you can grip a gun and rest it in your hand atop the wheel while you steer.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: September 21, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »

I'd like a game with an art style based on WW2 propaganda posters and political cartoons.  No scifi, except that whenever you fight a boss, it turns into a giant octopus or raging bear or whatever from a political cartoon, complete with having its different body parts labeled for what they symbolize.

I don't even care what the genre would be, I just think that could be cool.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7565 on: September 21, 2017, 03:18:18 pm »

I'd like a game with an art style based on WW2 propaganda posters and political cartoons.  No scifi, except that whenever you fight a boss, it turns into a giant octopus or raging bear or whatever from a political cartoon, complete with having its different body parts labeled for what they symbolize.

I don't even care what the genre would be, I just think that could be cool.
So basically Cuphead except with political cartoons.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: October 03, 2017, 03:38:47 pm »

Basically a building game, maybe voxel maybe not, where aesthetics were rewarded and you had a reason to build.

I imagined it like this: Land of Lords is a terrible game, BUT it gets one thing right: putting the players on the map. Literally, but also figuratively. When you build a settlement of significant size in this new, fictitious game you get a dot on the map. As you grow from hamlet -> village -> town -> city, add fortifications, castles, etc. etc. you get more territory that is represented. In-game power as represented by both titular titles and the ability to conduct warfare, bring other domains under your influence, and more efficient resource gather is bestowed upon you. Aesthetically, the end goal is increase your urbanization to the point where you can actually see the extents of your city represented on the map. At which point, you get further rewards via player voting on the server's/game's most awesome cities.

Likewise, your territory is also better protected, you get guards, miltias, standing armies that must be defeated to inflict actual physical damage on the domain. This part is a little tricky to balance out, but could work simply by calculating the attacking and opposing force totals (with force multipliers in effect). As you get a larger domain, it is exponentially more difficult to attack and damage your stuff. At one house you have no protection. At a hamlet you have a guard or two that must be defeated before you can wreck shit and loot stuff unless there is a significantly larger force of bandits or soldiers attacking. At city, you have several layers of protection including the guardsmen, militia, and standing army which must be defeated before the city can be sacked. Walls are always able to destroyed as to facilitate vigorous and purposeful siege warfare with an emphasis on breaching the city, killing the inhabitants, and then taking control without having to erase a players life work. If a player is totally defeated ya, you can raze his city to the ground.

Speaking of which, quick segue into devastation and abandonment mechanics. Players leave the game--that's a given, so based on activity, growth, and negative events such as banditry and warfare, settlements may be marked as abandoned and slowly rot away at which point they are taken off the map. Their remaining populations migrating to adjacent areas or having a smaller chance of perishing in the wilderness. Likewise, if there are substantial areas of unclaimed land, neutral NPC settlements may pop up. These are mostly a good source for banditry, low-risk low-reward endemic warfare, and interesting tales/RP. Most of these kinds of settlements cannot grow very much. Occasionally there will be neutral cities and castles to explore or to conduct diplomacy in. When building a NEW settlement it is important to note that based on the size of any player settlements around, you'll have to venture a certain distance into unclaimed land to begin building--neutral settlements will instead quickly begin to crumble as you expand and do have much territory to their name.

You'll always be able to build blueprints in advance to get started so that you can auto-construct things later. A system by which the environment will be altered as you build will have to be devised so we don't get any janky gross-looking Minecraft-esque disasters. Assuming it's a voxel build system--it doesn't have to be. But the idea is that you have a very large control over the aesthetics of your domain. Including buildings, clothing, ships, weapons, etc.

Warfare will also be a little tricky. Probably a combination of individual management for guards and Total War-esque system for the militia and standing armies for warfare purposes would be used. So you can still have guards walking around, but be able to maneuver large formations in battle. Balancing would be tough, but ideally different kinds of armies would be viable and would be affected by weather, terrain, and quality. Units get experience, can be customized, renamed, etc. etc. the work.

Finally, economics. Through some combination of open market trading, supply-and-demand, and physical trade routes would be conducted the process of buying and selling materials on a grand scale. Economic warfare would be a viable strategy in both the physical game area and through the use of embargoes.

It's not perfect, and errs very closely to the simulate-everything kind of game--but it'd be awesome.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: October 05, 2017, 12:57:08 pm »

Someone needs to combine Receiver with Mirror's edge.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: October 05, 2017, 01:00:18 pm »

...Fast and smooth jumping around the rooftops like the hooligan you are, interspersed with fumbling with magazines like an old man? :P

(Disclaimer: I love Reciever. But let's not lie about what the game is really like.)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: October 05, 2017, 01:01:29 pm »

A Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain that was actually complete.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: October 05, 2017, 01:10:29 pm »

I had an interesting idea recently about using music to represent the sense of smell in games. Because games are usually unable to represent the player character's sense of smell except with ui elements and wierd glowing bits. Background music likewise usually doesn't have an in-universe explaination.
This would mean that your home sounds like cinnamon buns and your enemies smell like combat. :P
And you transition from sneaky music to fight music when the enemies spot you because they start sweating.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: October 05, 2017, 01:55:25 pm »

A proper text-based life sim would be neat. Not with the cartoonish and arcade feel of Sims, nor the bare-bones structure of Real Lives, but a proper life sim.

I doubt it'll ever happen, but hey, one can wish.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:00 pm »

A proper text-based life sim would be neat. Not with the cartoonish and arcade feel of Sims, nor the bare-bones structure of Real Lives, but a proper life sim.

....You know you're on the Dwarf Fortress forums, right?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: October 06, 2017, 10:59:39 am »

...Fast and smooth jumping around the rooftops like the hooligan you are, interspersed with fumbling with magazines like an old man? :P

(Disclaimer: I love Reciever. But let's not lie about what the game is really like.)

Exactly. After all, Mirror's Edge teaches you can't rUN and gun.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: October 06, 2017, 11:24:26 am »

Kudos 2 (2000s) and Alter Ego (1980s) might give you something to do for a little while. Alter Ego is surprisingly hard-hitting in places, it was written by an actual psychologist. Starts with you in the womb deciding what you want to do. If you're interested in life games it's defintely one to play. I think you can now play it online, too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:27:44 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 577