Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 957580 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7275 on: December 03, 2016, 11:02:08 pm »

There's actually really good X-files mod for OpenXCom which I love even though I don't watch X-Files.

You start off with a car that can hold two operatives in formal attire wielding pistols. You only fight cults at the beginning, and you gradually progress until you get to where the original game starts just with more content and cultists.
Some tech progression is a bit weird (to get alien alloys tech you need to get really far in a specific cult (as in, find their tougher bases) then interrogate a certain high-ranking alien to get a tech for durathreads which you need for alien alloys.

I started fighting Ethereals without alien alloys and without knowing Durathread existed. I ended up editing my save to add thre durathread tech.

There's also a recent Let's Play of it here. It seems abandoned/on hiatus and didn't get particularly far, though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: December 03, 2016, 11:53:43 pm »

I'd like a DB/DBZ/Super Telltales game.  The fighting can be done through QTEs, allowing fight scenes to be as grand and awesome as Dragonball deserves, one can make choices to take different paths through Goku's life ( or whatever protagonist is playable, maybe some Future Trunks time travel bullshit ), different techniques than what is learned in canon, different choices when dealing with the Big Bads of the various arcs, stuff like that.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7277 on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:13 pm »

Or, instead of QTE, you could do literally anything else. That would have the significant advantage of not being QTE.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: December 04, 2016, 05:15:22 pm »

QTE hate? What is this, 2004?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: December 04, 2016, 05:17:17 pm »

QTEs are still common enough that you can get cred for disliking them without articulating any reason, I think.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: December 04, 2016, 05:23:38 pm »

Or, instead of QTE, you could do literally anything else. That would have the significant advantage of not being QTE.
Additionally, instead of doing Telltale, you could do literally anything else. That would have the significant advantage of not being Telltale.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: December 04, 2016, 08:29:08 pm »

Isn't Dark Souls just one just ultra-advanced QTE???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: December 04, 2016, 09:18:26 pm »

All games are quick time events.
Some are slower than others.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: December 04, 2016, 09:31:03 pm »

Additionally, instead of doing Telltale, you could do literally anything else. That would have the significant advantage of not being Telltale.

Out of curiosity, why the Telltale hate?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: December 04, 2016, 10:39:34 pm »

PTTG?? will remember this questioning of their beliefs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: December 04, 2016, 11:23:08 pm »

No (defensible) reason. Though when I was playing Minecraft: Story Mode, I did notice a number of odd jumps in the story when I picked certain choices.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: December 04, 2016, 11:30:09 pm »

Yeah, that one never made much sense to me. A choice based Minecraft story game?

"All Telltale fans will remember that."
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7287 on: December 05, 2016, 03:02:31 am »

Ok so the problem with QTE is that they are the design equivalent of running out of ideas for the mystery novel you're writing and suddenly introducing a prim British butler who did the murder. Nevermind that it's set in modern, small-town Connecticut.

It's a quick fix to the problem of missing content, but by god it's a damned lazy patch. Instead of pressing X to dodge the attack, why not let me use WASD to do it?

It is marginally defensible if it is literally the only combat sequence in the entire game. Perhaps. Even so, I'd consider having it be a fixed cutscene because there is only one way it can officially end.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: December 05, 2016, 03:05:44 am »

It's a simple method of giving the player the feedback of performing an action without requiring any fancy spacial reasoning. It's a way to be flashy while still involving the player, is that so bad? :/

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: December 05, 2016, 05:27:06 am »

QTEs tend to happen in cinematics. So you're busy watching the cinematic, thinking you can relax a moment from the gameplay, until suddenly no! You have to press X to not die. If you weren't expecting it, you'll scramble and probably fail the first time. And then, in all future cutscenes, you need to be watching for it, instead of simply appreciating the scene, distracting you from what's going on. There is also the tendency that its the "important" fights that get QTE events, with the effect that it is not really you as the player that beat the boss, you just loaded the movie and pressed play (and stop and fast forward and play and play again) to watch the scene where the boss is beaten.

I think that is where most of the irritation comes from, it is almost a betrayal of established expectations (in terms of gaming history, not as established within a particular game or franchise itself).

Some games handle it well or better, some do not. For example, God of War bosses are at least still an action scene, so you're not betrayed by the expectation that you can relax. But it is still a bad idea, because following on-screen directions to press or repeat single buttons is weaker than having full freedom of action to fight The Big Fight.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 577