Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 956453 times)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6165 on: October 25, 2015, 11:16:19 pm »

The game takes place in a procedurally-generated map in the Canadian countryside. The players are all lumberjacks, and you can cut down trees and use the wood to build up your log cabin. The objective of a typical game would be to have the biggest, most elaborate log cabin out of all the other players by the time the game ends. However, here's the catch: The players can murder each other and (slowly) destroy each other's cabins.

There would be a currency system in place, gotten in small amounts whenever you do lumberjack stuff like chop wood, in moderate amounts for killing players and reaching building thresholds with your cabin, and (extremely) slowly over time. You could buy stuff like better axes to chop/murder faster, reinforced flannel shirts for more health, flapjacks to restore health, and maybe a magic beard or some shit that turns you into Paul Bunyan for a few seconds. There would also be other game modes that could be just free-for-all combat, CTF, team cabin-building... Really, I think there's a lot of potential with this idea!

It's just an idea for now, but I do plan to actually make it someday, so any feedback, questions, comments and concerns would be much appreciated.
Seems like a pretty cool game. However, how would players be prevented from killing each other right off the bat? A 3-minute no kill timer would work, but then it might end up with the players stalking each other until it ran out. What could you add to the cabins? Decorations? Traps? Secret passages? (probably not the last one) I'd think it would be pretty amazing if you could put money in it to increase its point value (in the form of expensive paintings or bags of cash). These things, of course, could be stolen and converted back into money or put in their own homes. One last thing that is really important: If the buy menus are too elaborate, a player could be killed while they try to put something in their house, which would give people less of an incentive to really work on them as opposed to just slaying all other players.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: October 25, 2015, 11:35:50 pm »

ARMA, but for various small animals. Say, from the size of a large insect to the size of a large canine. All you have to do is exist and survive.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: October 25, 2015, 11:44:10 pm »

Definitely needs to be a game starring a hot chick in a Viking chainmail bikini with an Uzi.
Dude that's not an Uzi.
Yes it is.
TFW people are so sure someone is going to make a mistake they do the exact same one.

I could have been wrong. It could be a MAC-10. Honestly, I never bother with submachine guns. Pistols and rifles 4 life.

I wasn't sure at first, but I went and checked some firearm manuals and pics, it's an Uzi, or a derivative therof (mac 10 was my first guess as well.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: October 26, 2015, 12:23:13 am »

EDIT: Actually, I wish there was an MMO where the classes differ in ways other than combat ability.

For example, in WoW, every character has equal crafting potential. There's probably minmax number-crunch things you can do for optimal efficiency that I don't know about, but basically any character can craft anything, given that they keep up with the type of materials they get.

In contrast, Runescape makes it so that getting a high level in anything (besides combat skills) is pretty arduous work. Nobody's going to sit around grinding Cooking all the way to level 100, so the majority of players would just pay another player who has a high Cooking skill to make what they want. It created a neat in-game player-based economy. These are gameplay experiences circa 2007 though, so RS has probably changed quite a lot since then.

Speaking of crafting, just recently (in my ongoing internal construction of my *ideal* MMORPG, one that wouldn't bore to me tears) I thought of how I'd implement crafting if I were to make an MMO.

My biggest beef with crafting, is that it's a boring task implemented into the game to occupy the time of boring people. Where it's always simplified down to A + B = C, often with a level requirement barring you from even doing that. That doesn't sit well with me.

So I got to thinking, how would *I* do it? Well, first I'd remove the level cap, then second, I'd make any and all crafting systems pointlessly, arbitrarily, and maliciously complex and difficult. So difficult, in fact, that anyone used to ordinary crafting systems would find it completely impenetrable. So complex, that each form of crafting would require it's own dedicated fan-wiki. I'd want anyone who is half-hearted to be instantly disgusted with it, so they'd go and occupy space at the more viscerally exciting portions of the game, and I'd want anyone who is truly whole-hearted and curious to be enchanted by the effort and thought that is needed to explore this road of experimentation and be wholly fulfilled by the intellectual labor of it.

To give an example: suppose you wanted to make a health potion, undoubtedly the most easily recognized and ubiquitous of all potions. It would require gathering the ingredients, mashing, grinding, boiling, measuring, adding reagents, filtering, then distilling. Just a set of delicate procedures that must be carried out in a specific order. It's something that would require studiousness, carefulness, and math. Someone who is very skilled at it could learn the inner workings of the actual chemistry that the game is simulating and refine it, being able to produce either more with less material, or produce a better product with the same materials.

THEN, ideally, the end product wouldn't be named "Healing Potion", it'd just resemble a red liquid in a bottle, completely identical to any other red liquid in a bottle. A careful alchemist could use a labeling tool to personally label it 'healing potion', but otherwise any player can't take it for granted that a red potion equals a healing potion, as it could be ANYTHING in that bottle: a fire potion, acid, cherry juice, or just water with red dye in it. I'd think that if any player wants to dodge the high prices of a guaranteed NPC potion merchant and acquire their potions from cheaper 3rd party PC potion sellers, then the chance of getting conned with fake goods, cheated with watered down goods, or being disappointed by just plain poor quality goods should be an omnipresent risk. Whereas trustworthy alchemists that have taken the time to master their trade and consistently deliver both high quality and high diversity of potions could make a name for themselves, make the trade lucrative for themselves, and find it personally rewarding from the hard work and thought required.

I feel it'd just be plain more respectful of a player's intelligence and time spent in the game rather than making them click on rocks and haul them for exp gains.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: October 26, 2015, 03:05:18 am »

That may have been the best idea I've ever heard.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: October 26, 2015, 05:44:16 am »

Yeah, but, if it is such a pain, then nobody will do it, unless you can, like, make huge batches. And once you can make huge batches, there will probably be little reason to make fakes other than trolling. Player merchants with a reliable history would crop up pretty quickly and the trolls would only really appear as inter-party trolls handing around potions when a need arises in the field where there are no N.P.C. merchants available anyway. Do it would likely cvome to little more than an opportunity for people to troll and make people dread the thought of running low on supplies in a random group...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: October 26, 2015, 07:07:21 am »

This idea may work better when in-game classes are coupled with real-life professions.
Then a chemist will be able to figure out how to conjure pots, a programmer will be able to write automation scripts, a builder will build things... Together they can make a Hippie-van that throws healing pots at nearby players.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: October 26, 2015, 07:44:25 am »

Yeah, but, if it is such a pain, then nobody will do it, unless you can, like, make huge batches. And once you can make huge batches, there will probably be little reason to make fakes other than trolling. Player merchants with a reliable history would crop up pretty quickly and the trolls would only really appear as inter-party trolls handing around potions when a need arises in the field where there are no N.P.C. merchants available anyway. Do it would likely cvome to little more than an opportunity for people to troll and make people dread the thought of running low on supplies in a random group...

Well, the crafting system is only a small part of the much larger game I have envisioned. To give you the basic idea, crafting is very much a high end pastime rather than a convenience feature. Ingredients would be both scarce and in high demand, and the demand for potions would be pressing and dire at all hours of the day. No alchemist in the game could ever keep up with the demand, so the prospect of back alley alchemists with goods of non-guaranteed quality are a real threat if only to exploit the omnipresent desire for these goods and the importance of acquiring the game's currency for both other goods and social standing.
In my imagined game, the main *currency* is very fluid in value, inconsistent at actually purchasing things, and impossible to hold on to for long periods of time, so crafted items, especially consumables would be one of the few items in my game world that have high, consistent value that can be held onto. That said, even if making a potion involved a process 20 steps long (I wouldn't be that extreme, but just as an example) players would still do it, because even if they never use the potions, they'd hold onto their value over a long period of time.

To append something to my original idea though, I want to stress that the actual process of making any given potion is purposefully a complete mystery to the player. Once the MMO starts up, players would start and have the ability to make potions, and over the course of fighting monsters or whatever they'd acquire materials, but never actually told the difficult and complex process of how to put the two together. This is *one* of the examples of the 'cruelty toward players' that I feel would be a huge draw that would actually attract people to play, since there'd be a very serious and real element of exploration tied to the game mechanics that would be enthralling to those that would unwittingly grow curious and involve themselves in it. I'd love it if there could even be small notes and scribbles found in the games' many dungeons that would be the most prized objects of players' affections, if only because they shed light on the arcane mechanics of crafting.

I don't want to hijack the entire thread, since the actual full MMO idea I've been building in my head over the last couple years would dominate this thread, but to put it into it's simplest terms it'd be something like Attack on Titan meets Dark Souls, and the game would be excessively dangerous and dark, with a huge and heavy emphasis on players (all players) versus the world and its many horrible and dangerous creatures.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:46:38 am by JoshuaFH »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: October 26, 2015, 08:07:12 am »

Potion batches is a good idea. You could link high-level equipment to that, too. e.g. you need to upgrade to a larger cauldron etc, as you go, and this links in the alchemist to other parts of the crafting economy.

With the batches idea, it might make sense that each batch of bottled potions then has a "fermentation" time, at the end of which each bottle gains a quality rating. Make it so that each alchemist always produces a significant number of lesser healing potions per batch along with the high-value ones. This would prevent a situation where all alchemists are only serving the top-rank players who have all the money and neglecting the newbies.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: October 26, 2015, 09:44:20 am »

Definitely needs to be a game starring a hot chick in a Viking chainmail bikini with an Uzi.
Dude that's not an Uzi.
Yes it is.
TFW people are so sure someone is going to make a mistake they do the exact same one.

I could have been wrong. It could be a MAC-10. Honestly, I never bother with submachine guns. Pistols and rifles 4 life.

No, that's definitely an Uzi. Source: google uzi

IMI Uzi (MP-2)

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: October 26, 2015, 12:58:27 pm »

Irregardless of our advice, ideas or corrections, I hope you make this MMO of yours. Sounds original and I'd definitely play it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: October 26, 2015, 01:19:06 pm »

That isnt an Ouzo!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: October 26, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »

Irregardless of our advice, ideas or corrections, I hope you make this MMO of yours. Sounds original and I'd definitely play it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: October 26, 2015, 03:20:46 pm »

That isnt an Ouzo!

Looks more like a T.A.R.D.I.S. to me...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: October 26, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »

Tardis disguised as a Greek villa.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 577