Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955395 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5475 on: July 13, 2015, 01:11:27 am »

Ok, imma take a step back and describe something that isn't a game, so much as just a game mechanic I would like to see more.

A big part of what makes FTL great is that there's an "internal" game and an "external" game.  The main expression of your effectiveness is your ship fighting other ships, but this is actually pretty simple.  What makes it interesting is that inside your ship you're moving guys around, and your effectiveness at doing that (which never touches the enemy ship at all) determines how well the ship itself performs.  Its almost like an RPG, but instead of your level deciding your character's power your ability at playing the "game in the game" is what decides it.

The main other place I can see this is in Crusader Kings 2 and Vicky 2, especially CK2.  In CK2 you're managing a realm full of vassals.  Generally they won't ever kill you, but your ability to output taxes and levies is largely determined on how your realm is structured and what your relationship with your vassals is.  So CK2 realms naturally fluctuate in power as the internal politics change and succession occurs.  You defeat a nominally more powerful realm by attacking it when your ruler is established and theres is new and/or unpopular.

Not really going anywhere with this except that I'd like to see some new games that have that same dynamic.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:49 am »

A low fantasy XCOM/CK2-ish game in which you form a band of protectors who protect the people from Bad Things, be they supernatural (dragons, vampires, rogue wizards et cetera) or mundane (bandits). You can choose whether you'll support a single kingdom or be indiscriminate, or whether you'll support peasants or nobles. All of these things affect your standing with both the people of a given nation and the nobility.

As your forces grow larger, some of the kingdoms may fear your power and influence so you have to play the game of diplomacy with them, either doing them special favours or granting them concessions (allow one of their nobles to be privy to your organization's secrets, or be forced to build and maintain an outpost in an area that does not need the coverage, giving off your troops as bodyguards or mercenaries), thus becoming an actual player in the grand scheme of things. This diplomacy game replaces the airgame from XCOM.

Combat would be turn-based, take place on a grid and with proceduraly generated maps. Facing would be important in melee combat. You start off with 6 people per squad and work your way towards a maximum of 10. Combat prowess should rely more on the skills of your dudes and any buffs they might have than on fancy weaponry and armor..

Your soldiers can be either melee-based fighters, rangers or mages. Mages are basically what psi guys are in XCOM, they come in later in the game, take a lot of time and money to train up, but are capable of wrecking half of the map with their magic. Using mages should give you extra distrust from both the people and the nobles (since they fear magic) but the nobles should prove mighty interested in taking them as mercenaries or bodyguards.

The tech tree would be based on alchemy (to buff your soldiers with potions), travel speed (start off with horses, end up with flying carpets or something), more spells and infrastructure (outposts to extend your reach, workshops, research stations for magic, and so on and so forth), with weapons and armor being less important in the tree.

The entire world map is be pre-built, but the different factions you have should have different holdings at the start of each game and should have settings for different behaviours to increase replayability. Different events take place to which the nations of the world react differently.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: July 13, 2015, 11:42:38 am »

Oh god, I just remembered Chromehounds and had a [SCREAMING INTERNALLY] moment. I really want Chromehounds 2... IT WOULD BE SO GOOD WITH MODERN TECHNOLOGY AND THE ABILITY TO GET EVEN MORE MINUTE IN THE CUSTOMIZATION!!! *sobs*

** I post about wanting Chromehounds 2 at least once a year
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: July 13, 2015, 03:23:05 pm »

A low fantasy XCOM/CK2-ish game in which you form a band of protectors who protect the people from Bad Things, be they supernatural (dragons, vampires, rogue wizards et cetera) or mundane (bandits). You can choose whether you'll support a single kingdom or be indiscriminate, or whether you'll support peasants or nobles. All of these things affect your standing with both the people of a given nation and the nobility.

As your forces grow larger, some of the kingdoms may fear your power and influence so you have to play the game of diplomacy with them, either doing them special favours or granting them concessions (allow one of their nobles to be privy to your organization's secrets, or be forced to build and maintain an outpost in an area that does not need the coverage, giving off your troops as bodyguards or mercenaries), thus becoming an actual player in the grand scheme of things. This diplomacy game replaces the airgame from XCOM.

Combat would be turn-based, take place on a grid and with proceduraly generated maps. Facing would be important in melee combat. You start off with 6 people per squad and work your way towards a maximum of 10. Combat prowess should rely more on the skills of your dudes and any buffs they might have than on fancy weaponry and armor..

Your soldiers can be either melee-based fighters, rangers or mages. Mages are basically what psi guys are in XCOM, they come in later in the game, take a lot of time and money to train up, but are capable of wrecking half of the map with their magic. Using mages should give you extra distrust from both the people and the nobles (since they fear magic) but the nobles should prove mighty interested in taking them as mercenaries or bodyguards.

The tech tree would be based on alchemy (to buff your soldiers with potions), travel speed (start off with horses, end up with flying carpets or something), more spells and infrastructure (outposts to extend your reach, workshops, research stations for magic, and so on and so forth), with weapons and armor being less important in the tree.

The entire world map is be pre-built, but the different factions you have should have different holdings at the start of each game and should have settings for different behaviours to increase replayability. Different events take place to which the nations of the world react differently.
I would mug a hobo to fund this. Just Joking... and sell both my legs to cannibals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: July 14, 2015, 02:53:57 am »

I want an open-world game set in the Mortal Kombat universe. As much as the actual plot of Mortal Kombat sucks, I think the universe, creatures and basic setup are actually really cool and deserving of expansion in a way that doesn't suck, like Mortal Kombat Conquest (the first season anyway, the second season is complete garbage except for the last moments of the last episode).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: July 14, 2015, 05:49:34 am »

BTW thanks again earlier for turning me on to Devil Survivor. It kinda feels like 999 the SRPG.

You're welcome, it and its sequel are probably my favorite two games on the DS/3DS. For your sake, I hope you have overclocked. No access to a compendium is a pain in the buttocks.

Personally, I think #1's story is far more interesting and kick-ass, but #2 has better gameplay and map/boss design. Extra variety on moves and demons, as well, which is also quite nice, and the FATE system it has is also good. Overall, #2 is the superior game, but I just wish it had a story more like #1s (I also prefer #1's characters.)
Definitely worth playing both of them. I think #2's version of Overclocked (can't remember what it was called, maybe Remix or something) should be out by now, so get it if you can.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:52:40 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: July 14, 2015, 06:42:35 am »

BTW thanks again earlier for turning me on to Devil Survivor. It kinda feels like 999 the SRPG.

You're welcome, it and its sequel are probably my favorite two games on the DS/3DS. For your sake, I hope you have overclocked. No access to a compendium is a pain in the buttocks.

Personally, I think #1's story is far more interesting and kick-ass, but #2 has better gameplay and map/boss design. Extra variety on moves and demons, as well, which is also quite nice, and the FATE system it has is also good. Overall, #2 is the superior game, but I just wish it had a story more like #1s (I also prefer #1's characters.)
Definitely worth playing both of them. I think #2's version of Overclocked (can't remember what it was called, maybe Remix or something) should be out by now, so get it if you can.

Yeah, I got Overclocked. I had to delete some stuff to make room for its 9000+ blocks of memory usage, but it's feeling worth it so far.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: July 14, 2015, 10:45:31 am »

Re-post from a Skype chat:

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: July 14, 2015, 11:27:50 am »

I had a thought about a cool game based on cells.. in a sense. Could be interpreted as a better, multiplayer spore like game that ends at the creature (possibly tribe) stage

So basically, you're a cell who does cell stuff in a microscopic world. Yadayadayada. You compete with other cells and evolve different abilities as you grow, based on the organelles (parts) you grow (equip) your cell with. As such your cell gains unique abilities compared to other cells. The interesting part is the game is multiplayer (MMO, maybe even, or just round based) and you can form colonies/organisms with other players/computers (ie: guilds but more functional). The abilities of of your organism or colony would be dependent upon the constituent cells of that group, as well as their location. IE: if a cell can secrete acid, it's best located on the edge of the organism and surrounded by cells with acid resistance so it doesn't burn the interior of the organism, which would have different roles like energy production, etc. Cells with motor abilities should be located near the center of mass of the organism and equally distributed. Your organism can go head to head with others (persistent or round based depending) and if it were a persistent game, grow more powerful(or die), and if it were a round based game, win with the highest score(or !!LOSE!!). If an organism died(as a result of traumatic damage; likely an arbitrary health bar unless a better system was implemented), any remaining living cells would separate and be (forcefully) scattered. In a round based game, the organism's numbers would be dissolved and require reforming, or the constituents could form a different organism. In a persistent setting, they would keep their numbers (ie: guild) but be scattered forcefully and have to find each other to rebuild the organism.

Cells could divide and produce computer operated cells. In such manner, large organisms with high player counts don't immediately win over organisms with lesser counts by sheer force. Computer operated cells would have some degree of intelligence, less effecient than humans to encourage player grouping but efficient enough not to be useless. They'd grow and evolve and place themselves strategically but obviously lack communication skills and can't think ahead for encounters (or something like that).

Maybe large creatures could form pacts or something and build nests or something. Idk.

it'd be cool or something idk
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:31 am »

I had a thought about a cool game based on cells.. in a sense. Could be interpreted as a better, multiplayer spore like game that ends at the creature (possibly tribe) stage

So basically, you're a cell who does cell stuff in a microscopic world. Yadayadayada. You compete with other cells and evolve different abilities as you grow, based on the organelles (parts) you grow (equip) your cell with. As such your cell gains unique abilities compared to other cells. The interesting part is the game is multiplayer (MMO, maybe even, or just round based) and you can form colonies/organisms with other players/computers (ie: guilds but more functional). The abilities of of your organism or colony would be dependent upon the constituent cells of that group, as well as their location. IE: if a cell can secrete acid, it's best located on the edge of the organism and surrounded by cells with acid resistance so it doesn't burn the interior of the organism, which would have different roles like energy production, etc. Cells with motor abilities should be located near the center of mass of the organism and equally distributed. Your organism can go head to head with others (persistent or round based depending) and if it were a persistent game, grow more powerful(or die), and if it were a round based game, win with the highest score(or !!LOSE!!). If an organism died(as a result of traumatic damage; likely an arbitrary health bar unless a better system was implemented), any remaining living cells would separate and be (forcefully) scattered. In a round based game, the organism's numbers would be dissolved and require reforming, or the constituents could form a different organism. In a persistent setting, they would keep their numbers (ie: guild) but be scattered forcefully and have to find each other to rebuild the organism.

Cells could divide and produce computer operated cells. In such manner, large organisms with high player counts don't immediately win over organisms with lesser counts by sheer force. Computer operated cells would have some degree of intelligence, less effecient than humans to encourage player grouping but efficient enough not to be useless. They'd grow and evolve and place themselves strategically but obviously lack communication skills and can't think ahead for encounters (or something like that).

Maybe large creatures could form pacts or something and build nests or something. Idk.

it'd be cool or something idk
I so want to see this.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: July 14, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damn that's a cool idea!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: July 14, 2015, 08:40:17 pm »

I kind of want to try making this now, if just as a singleplayer, but I don't have enough coding skillz to start from scratch, nor access to a proper engine...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: July 14, 2015, 10:25:00 pm »

I wonder if we could make a cell-based DF mod
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: July 15, 2015, 12:59:49 am »

Any game with the Deep Dream algorithm applied to it's output in real time; but instead of dogs & eyes, it would be trained from 100s of prison mugshots.

Let's say Banjo Tooie, for the fun of it. Or Mario Kart 8.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: July 15, 2015, 03:13:59 am »

I'm getting pretty good with the Unity engine, so if someone wants to work together on a mockup of some ideas, I'm down for that. I'm no artist though so preferably someone who would do the art side, and I do the coding side.

I'm wondering about the cell colony game mechanics. What do you envision as the control scheme for each player? One cell like an RPG, or 3rd-person control of many cells like an RTS?
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 577