Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955678 times)

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5280 on: May 24, 2015, 07:26:35 pm »

It would be nice if there was a strategy game which started with hundreds and thousands of factions which turn by turn wittle down until there is only a handful of civilisations left.
Overpopulate a map in most 4x games badly enough, and it'll work that way.  I know for a fact that Freeciv supports up to 125 AI players in a game.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: May 24, 2015, 11:48:01 pm »

It would be nice if there was a strategy game which started with hundreds and thousands of factions which turn by turn wittle down until there is only a handful of civilisations left.
Crusader Kings kind of gets that way.  You have a giant number of different nations, which constantly consolidate to become larger and larger.  On the flip side, however, they do often break apart into many tiny ones, so you have just as many left in the end.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: May 25, 2015, 02:03:21 am »

A tense retrofuturistic survival-horror-esque game where you are a government agent sent to the moon to take control of a hippy-controlled moonbase that sits on some valuable mcguffin.

Basically Alien:Isolation or Routine but with hippies.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: May 26, 2015, 08:21:18 am »

Roguelike or 2D action or tower defence  game with evolving enemies making each playthrough\level harder and harder.
By evolving I mean a real evolution. Mating the most successful enemies with each other + random mutations added in.
This sounds like it could be a cool small game.

So the mating process would do stuff like exchanging body parts/abilities between enemies?
What I've found with evolution-centric games is that it's hard to determine the "most successful enemies", unless you make the player fight the same type of enemy many, many times over. This could be alleviated by making a fast-paced shoot-em-up game with a shitonne of enemies comin' at ya. The game would be arcade-y which may or may not be fun.

Or don't make it evolution-centric. Then what? A RL variation would mean less enemies -> less fights -> less data to determine the "most successful enemies". The game would more-or-less make randomly generated enemies throughout the game.
How do we gather more data? Within a complex combat system one could count how many times an enemy hits you and how efficient the type of attack was. The game would then spawn enemies which were stronger at those kinds of attacks (but weaker at others).
This wouldn't be an evolution with a mating process, as you've suggested, since it would use a more immediate and "greedy" algorithm to make harder enemies for the player. Is the game still considered evolution-based by your standards?

Let's say both of these games now exist. How does the evolution-centric game differentiate from a game like Alien Shooter? How does the RL-centric game differentiate from a game like Dungeon Crawl?
Okay. Your games throw enemies at the player using cool algorithms, while other games use predetermined units.
Will the player even notice the difference?

TL;DR: I wanted to develop a game that's using evolution/genetics more prominently for a while now, but I'm not sure how to make such a game FUN or otherwise unique for the player. Help me and let's make a game!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:38:10 am by dorf »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: May 26, 2015, 10:34:39 am »

A tense retrofuturistic survival-horror-esque game where you are a government agent sent to the moon to take control of a hippy-controlled moonbase that sits on some valuable mcguffin.

Basically Alien:Isolation or Routine but with hippies.
I want a survival horror game where you play as a hippie, and the combination of weed-induced paranoia and LSD-induced hallucinations adds to the scariness.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: May 26, 2015, 11:48:01 am »

An Age of Empires-esque RTS, except you build your buildings Evil Genius style, where you designate rooms and fill them with training equipment, weaponry, forges, and such. So research is done by scientists that you have to train, weaponry is built by trained blacksmiths, and so on. Also, you only share LOS with high-ranking soldiers and units, so if you want your entire research division researching something, you need your chief scientist to gather all the low ranking ones and get them working on it.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: May 27, 2015, 05:36:43 am »

Some sort of RPG action game starring a Power Rangers-esque group of heroes, if all of them were awkward dweebs, weirdos and other varieties of outcast.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: May 27, 2015, 08:02:18 am »

KOTOR III with Force Unleashed level physics and force powers with JKA/M&B-style saber combat.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

blazing glory

« Reply #5288 on: May 27, 2015, 08:05:48 am »

KOTOR III with Force Unleashed level physics and force powers with JKA/M&B-style saber combat.
Could do with some KOTOR...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: May 27, 2015, 08:15:18 am »

couldn't we all after that MMO abomination?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5290 on: May 27, 2015, 12:13:34 pm »

Spoiler: A game thing (click to show/hide)

I'm liking this. Shores of Hazeron did this in a sense on a space-game level, and yeah, there was a bad case of faction dominance.

I think the best way to fix this is to have faction purchases mainly specialize and advance the faction, with the raw power of the faction being determined by the number of players. So every faction has a basic forge, but for 20,000 faction points, your faction can upgrade to a quicksilver smithery, allowing you to use silvered weapons which are powerful against shapeshifters but have reduced baseline damage.

This definitely sounds like a fantasy setting to me, by the way. It seems most appropriate if it's an arid or hostile setting where factionalism and chaos fit well.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: May 27, 2015, 12:40:18 pm »

This definitely sounds like a fantasy setting to me, by the way. It seems most appropriate if it's an arid or hostile setting where factionalism and chaos fit well.
I would see it as a post-apoc setting, personally :
Your faction could be mostly a series of outposts in a (radioactive) desert, with most technology forgotten (damn smartphone not getting any reception), but using resources you get by scavenging in the cities to build/craft what is needed and re-discovered by your faction's scientists.
There may even be some blueprint stealing or exchanges (with the obvious ambush) :D

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: May 27, 2015, 02:57:33 pm »

I just wish they'd finish KOTOR 2 already. So much wasted potential.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:41 pm »

Getting hooked on Clicker Heroes made me think I'd like an idle game more automation-friendly.
What I have in mind would be primarily a fusion between idle games and programming games, an idle game with an exposed API so players can script their way through, so that interaction with the game is only demanded in parts the player hasn't scripted yet and boils down to finding the best automation scheme. Heck, parts of the API itself could be treated as upgrades that the player has to unlock before using for maximum upgradeness.  :P
In particular, I'm thinking a base building/tower defense substrate could give lots of automation tasks to toy with.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:29 pm »

I just wish they'd finish KOTOR 2 already. So much wasted potential.

KOTOR 2 is awesome! Especially with TSLRCM.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 577