Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955829 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4170 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:37 am »

Technically Goat Simulator is a hand made exploration game, in addition to being a physics sandbox.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #4171 on: July 07, 2014, 01:25:23 pm »

Terraria?
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: July 07, 2014, 01:37:26 pm »

The various Bethesda-style RPGs of late (Skyrim and the Fallouts most notably) tend to reward exploration at least to some degree.  They're not exactly survival-style really though, barring mods.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: July 07, 2014, 02:12:07 pm »

The big problem with all of these is that NO VIOLENCE is a big part of the game I wish existed. Like none. At all. Terraria and most rpgs are pretty much all violence, all the time.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4174 on: July 07, 2014, 03:21:22 pm »

The big problem with all of these is that NO VIOLENCE is a big part of the game I wish existed. Like none. At all. Terraria and most rpgs are pretty much all violence, all the time.
*raises hand* I like violence.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: July 07, 2014, 03:25:26 pm »

I can't imagine what else you can really do in RPGs that isn't violence related unless it was sort of an animal crossing type of thing. I do agree that a lot of RPGs these days focus on it too heavily, but still, I can't imagine an RPG without any sort of violence
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: July 07, 2014, 03:33:19 pm »

I can't imagine what else you can really do in RPGs that isn't violence related unless it was sort of an animal crossing type of thing. I do agree that a lot of RPGs these days focus on it too heavily, but still, I can't imagine an RPG without any sort of violence
Oooh.

A massive world, around the size of Runescape Member's worlds or bigger. A crafting system as deep and complex as Monster Hunter, but borrowing aspects from Minecraft and Homestuck. No enemies, anything you interact with is friendly, or else rare and easily repelled ala Endless Ocean. A skills system similar to Rune Factory, and quests like from Animal Crossing. Plus multiplayer drop-in similar to Borderlands on Steam. Plus, drawing from Endless Ocean again, always more stuff to find and investigate in the places you have been before.

This would be the perfect non-combat game. Yeah?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: July 07, 2014, 03:37:19 pm »

I just don't get where the threat or challenge would come from. I mean what would be the point of skills or crafting if there was nothing to defeat using said skills and crafting? I mean, you could have it as a puzzle game where you need to craft things to move on, but then it's hardly an RPG.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: July 07, 2014, 03:51:35 pm »

A sci-fi game where players are thrown into a randomly generated, yet symmetrical map and have to gather resources and construct giant/small robots/spaceships/vehicles to defeat their enemies.

Kind of like "Dota meets Minecraft meets FTL". I know those "X meets Y" comparisons are bland and bad, but really, it's the only good comparison I can find atm.

Each character has their own sets of unique abilities, but those are used mostly for utility rather than killing. They also have access to their own, unique recipes/blueprints, but everyone or almost everyone can also benefit from readily-available designs for the more basic things. It would be based on "modules" which can be connected to other modules (sometimes only in specific positions, and most modules can only be connected to so many other modules), each having their own stats like durability, power usage or mass.

Some modules would provide extra power to the entire construct and act as generators, others would be your various kinds of dakka like lasers, missile launchers and miniguns, then there are locomotion modules like jet engines, wheels, tracks and wings. As well as a plethora of other things that can be beneficial like EMP blast module which disables random modules in enemy ships for n seconds, or a remote control module which lets you control another robot provided it has a "receiver" module installed - since otherwise all robots have to be manually controlled by at least one player, and certain modules can be manned.

However, to prevent the enormous death fortresses from flying around the place, you have to buy a hull of a vehicle that you can place your modules into. Some modules can only be put on specific hulls, and certain hulls provide bonuses to particular modules.

Outside the matches, which can be as small as 1v1 or as big as 10v10, you can unlock new characters and modules, but there's no "dual" currency - all purchasable gameplay elements are gained solely with the "free currency" which can be only obtained from playing, though they're gained at a higher rate than most other games do these days (I hate grinding for things in all games...) and you can at best make cosmetic purchases with real money...Actual real money, not a secondary currency purchased with real money.

So yeah. Sounds like a combination of already existing titles, but if done right it could be a big thing. Sadly, it probably won't, since the devs would inevitably make some terrible design decision that would drive a fair amount of people away from the game.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: July 07, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »

Well The challenge would be in overcoming obstacles. Just as a three-legged ambulatory gun turret with a missing F in its I.F.F. can be an obstacle, so can a cliff, a river, your house being wonky, a large space between galaxies with a limited fuel supply, a dense layer of minerals that is preventing you from scanning the planet's core, those irritating hippy flying saucers that keep following you around singing bad protest songs and chanting slogans about leaving the world in an untouched state...
 Violence is just easy to balance because all participants have the similar objectives...

-------

Some maps for things like warcraft III and Starcraft II have things where two or more groups are put in a terrain and equipped with a crafting system of some sort and win when everyone else is dead...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

Well The challenge would be in overcoming obstacles. Just as a three-legged ambulatory gun turret with a missing F in its I.F.F. can be an obstacle, so can a cliff, a river, your house being wonky, a large space between galaxies with a limited fuel supply, a dense layer of minerals that is preventing you from scanning the planet's core, those irritating hippy flying saucers that keep following you around singing bad protest songs and chanting slogans about leaving the world in an untouched state...
 Violence is just easy to balance because all participants have the similar objectives...

-------

Some maps for things like warcraft III and Starcraft II have things where two or more groups are put in a terrain and equipped with a crafting system of some sort and win when everyone else is dead...

Yeah, for a different type of game there's no need for violence, but I thought varnish was talking of a skyrim/fallout/terraria style rpg with no violence.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: July 07, 2014, 05:07:11 pm »

No, I was talking about a game where the sole focus was on exploration, basically. I used the examples of the the kinds of worlds presented in those types of games, but it would not be an rpg. I'm not doing the best job of communicating, I think.

This was my idea:

I would like to have an open world exploration game where the focus was just on exploration, nothing else. No violence, no quests, possibly no people. I guess a bit like the game Proteus, but with more interaction with the environment. Or like one of the elder scrolls games with the enemies and people removed, and the wildlife made non-aggressive. A world where you could find and explore caves and ruins, or just wander around forests or along coasts if you wanted.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: July 07, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

No, I was talking about a game where the sole focus was on exploration, basically. I used the examples of the the kinds of worlds presented in those types of games, but it would not be an rpg. I'm not doing the best job of communicating, I think.

This was my idea:

I would like to have an open world exploration game where the focus was just on exploration, nothing else. No violence, no quests, possibly no people. I guess a bit like the game Proteus, but with more interaction with the environment. Or like one of the elder scrolls games with the enemies and people removed, and the wildlife made non-aggressive. A world where you could find and explore caves and ruins, or just wander around forests or along coasts if you wanted.

Ahh I get what you mean now. Have you tried The Forest? The latest version contains a no-enemies mode where you can craft, hunt and explore to your hearts content. There's mostly non-aggressive wildlife and the graphics are pretty nice.
The world isn't huge, but it might keep you entertained for a while and they're constantly expanding it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: July 07, 2014, 05:39:08 pm »

Robocop vs The Terminator as an FPS, with a campaign for each character.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: July 07, 2014, 07:35:45 pm »

Good terminator or bad terminator? Or one of the liquid terminators or something? Or everything that was ever referred to as a terminator and every version ever printed of robocop, possibly including fanfiction... What is robocop fanfiction like anyway?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 577