Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 956128 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4020 on: June 06, 2014, 04:52:46 pm »

I'd prefer one from the German perspective... What can I say, I like seeing both sides of the issue. Plus, my other favorite WW2 setting (The Eastern Front) has gotten a fair amount of games. Besides, as said before, WW2 games are kinda drying up.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: June 06, 2014, 05:02:01 pm »

I'd prefer one from the German perspective... What can I say, I like seeing both sides of the issue. Plus, my other favorite WW2 setting (The Eastern Front) has gotten a fair amount of games. Besides, as said before, WW2 games are kinda drying up.

I dont recall any particularly captivating wwII FPSes that have a german storyline, although as fsr ax modernity goes RO2 lets you play as them on the eastern front.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: June 06, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »

Why not Italian or from the Japanese side (or even the American side, actually) of the Pacific island-hopping?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4023 on: June 06, 2014, 05:36:14 pm »

Why not Italian or from the Japanese side (or even the American side, actually) of the Pacific island-hopping?
I played all the WW2 games back in the day, and I'd definitely pick up anything with a fresh perspective. Though I'd say the Italians didn't do crap. It wouldn't be very exciting seeing their campaign.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: June 06, 2014, 07:02:25 pm »

A WWII game with 2 campaigns, though not necessarily much combat. More of a focus on stealth, character interaction, and other things.

First campaign takes place in Nanking during the occupation, with most of it centered in and around the Safe Zone. You'd either play as a Japanese soldier or one of the refuges, I'm not sure which would work better. You'd meet people, be helped by people, and have to make tough choices involving saving people, keeping secrets, and conflicts of loyalty.

Second campaign takes place in Nagasaki, starting just before the bomb falls. If the first campaign had you play as a Japanese soldier then it would be best for this one to have you play as the same guy.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: June 06, 2014, 07:04:16 pm »

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun did the American perspective, starting with the Pearl Harbor attack. Call of Duty: World at War also did the Pacific campaign as well as Russian missions on the Eastern Front. I would not call either title realistic however :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4026 on: June 06, 2014, 07:07:02 pm »

A WWII game with 2 campaigns, though not necessarily much combat. More of a focus on stealth, character interaction, and other things.

First campaign takes place in Nanking during the occupation, with most of it centered in and around the Safe Zone. You'd either play as a Japanese soldier or one of the refuges, I'm not sure which would work better. You'd meet people, be helped by people, and have to make tough choices involving saving people, keeping secrets, and conflicts of loyalty.

Second campaign takes place in Nagasaki, starting just before the bomb falls. If the first campaign had you play as a Japanese soldier then it would be best for this one to have you play as the same guy.
The Rape of Nanking..? At least from the refugee's standpoint in the first campaign you'd have an experience because you'd be trying to escape. But who would want to play as the Japanese slaughtering innocents? I mean that's all that happened there was they murdered Chinese civilians.

And the destruction of Nagasaki? I mean there's nothing to do aside from watch the place explode, and then try to help the wounded I guess.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: June 06, 2014, 07:21:44 pm »

If you played as the Japanese soldier, it would be one who questioned what his comrades were doing. The primary draw would be having someone who could plausibly be at both events, though a German missionary or investor would be good for that too, and be in a somewhat better position to not do horrible things.

Both situations have the aspect of interacting with NPCs and making survival choices. While there are no real enemies at Hiroshima, there's still plenty of human drama that could make for good gameplay.

WWII Game =\= FPS

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: June 06, 2014, 08:47:55 pm »

It is honestly HARD to find anything sympathetic to the Germans in WW2... They exist but it is rare.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: June 06, 2014, 08:55:51 pm »

Das Boot is sympathetic to the Germans.  Probably because it is made by them, but still.  It also took place in their submarine force, which was one of the least political forces in the German military.
On that note several of the Silent Hunter games have you play as a German submarine captain.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4030 on: June 06, 2014, 09:00:55 pm »

Great movie!

There were sympathetic Germans but when their government is exterminating the educated (universities were shut down and the military ran public schools) there's simply nothing they could possibly do, so those few played along to avoid execution. Most of the Germans in the army were bad people.

The same goes for Japan. With the revival of Bushido and the war giving them more reasons to hate the West, not a single one wanted to surrender. They had a very strong culture and not a lot of world experience; there was no desire to understand outsiders and only until relatively recently have non-natives actually been allowed into Japan. The policy on immigrants was not to have any. They thought white people were pants on head stupid and deserved to be conquered.

Obviously all of these things have mostly by now changed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: June 06, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »

Most of the Germans in the army were bad people.

>_>

The same goes for Japan

>_>

I don't want to derail this... but I'll say that if the people in the German and Japanese army were predominantly bad people... Then the French, British, Russian, and American soldiers were not much better (In fact they weren't... but that is another story).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:07:54 pm by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: June 06, 2014, 09:07:51 pm »

We were all Orcs in the Great War

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: June 06, 2014, 09:08:24 pm »

I think "Company of Heroes" tended to be rather balanced, or at least not overly critical, of the german factions in the campaigns.

"Company and Heroes 2" I believe was rather different. I think it focused on the negative a lot for both Germany and Soviet Russia, much to the annoyance of the Russian audience.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: June 06, 2014, 09:10:36 pm »

I am not surprised the Russians were annoyed.

It would be like if someone made a game about the Vietnam war were all the American Soldiers were racist genocidal maniacs just because the war was an unjust slaughter.

Actually are there ANY games about the Vietnam war where the Americans ARE the villains? ALL the games I've seen on Vietnam pretty much depict the Americans as the heroes and the Vietnam soldiers as a SINGLE group and villainous.

That is a game I honestly wish existed.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:17:35 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 577