Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955953 times)

blazing glory

Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3825 on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:11 am »

Well I'd be cool with any thing vaguely resembling XCOM enemy unknowns gameplay.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: March 24, 2014, 02:14:05 am »

Nothing wrong with including cliche monsters, if only so players can have some idea how to deal with them. Just gotta include some more obscure/less-used things like the aforementioned mummy's curse.
I just want to say that for the intended tone, mummies might be a bit hard to swallow. Outside of fantasy settings (and even in them), it's just a bit hard to take them seriously.

It'd probably easier if mummies didn't have the whole "infect you into one of us" that other monsters have. Maybe they could infict you with non-assimilating curses. Like sub-dermal insect infestation, or a "die in 3 days" sort of thing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: March 24, 2014, 03:53:08 am »

A game that took on the logistics of creating an undead or technological singularity to world domination based on real world locations, enabling you to end up taking over the world eventually, and possibly expand to other worlds with completely different challenges once your initial starting planet is taken over.

I'm not talking about Plague Inc or Infectionator bite sized rounds, but more of a grand strategy (of the Europa Universalis scale) and persistent sort of game that takes into account things such as terrain, population density, weather and just about anything else that could end up being at issue when leading an every growing undead/nanobot army. Upgrades that allow you to tackle different difficulties in different ways would be extremely welcome; do you upgrade the extremely expensive ability for flying, weak nanobot swarms to horde over the mountain, or do you let them take the long way around, possibly letting areas be more fortified by the time you get there? Add in some randomization, pick a starting location, and see how far you can get. Planet you started on didn't ever have liquid water? Hope you got some decay resistance built up, or the native bacteria will literally melt the flesh off your zombie hordes' bones. Send some more space ships with zombies to that tasty looking jungle planet; zombies preserve pretty well in stasis.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: March 24, 2014, 03:55:06 am »

@ Covenant: A mummy was the main villain in an RPG called Ravenloft: Stone Prophet. Based off DnD they had mummies with varying power levels with the main one being nigh unto a god in terms of power, insta-killing your party if in melee. Other than that, summoning minion skeletons and swarms of beetles would be neat.

Vampires could teleport, or turn into bats until they're in close range, having high dodge while flying. Werewolves could leap into melee like hunters from Left 4 Dead, or hide amongst civilians who have to be talked in melee range to rescue.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

blazing glory

« Reply #3829 on: March 24, 2014, 06:23:45 am »

What monster needs ranged weapons? ambush,hide,sprint,fly,plus I reackon that werewolves if discovered waiting in ambush would be faster since it would be running on all fours and be superhumanly fast anyway, vampires,their pretty much augumented humans right? take dwarf fortress vampires for example,(ignoring the muscle growth which makes them slow) they are stronger faster and smarter then average humans,there's tons of possiblities! monsters that are as fast or a little slower then humans but use swarming tactics!,any tactic a predator uses is a fine example of what a monster could use,come! lets go werewolf hunting!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: March 24, 2014, 01:09:04 pm »

When you really get down to it, mummies in fantasy are basically liches with bandages, usually awakened due to someone pissing them off rather than for world domination. They are the preserved remains of kings who were worshiped as gods (more often then not in these stories) and if the power exists to make them move again then it only makes sense for them to have other powers of vengeance. I'd see mummies as either masterminds behind supernatural attacks, or used as some kind of superweapons by the other monsters.

For instance, they bring a sarcophagus to battle, and when the human resistance starts becoming problematic, BAM! unleash the mummy. They'd make sense as some kind of melee tanker, because in the classic mummy movies they were always implacable, indestructible beasts, not resting until they got their vengeance.

If you're looking for ranged attacks, and XCOM parallels, vampires could probably take the place of psionic enemies. It might be better to treat them as classic vampires, with all the weird powers, rather than humans on steroids with a craving for blood. In battle, they probably don't have time for a full-on turning your guys into undead slaves, but they could probably hypnotize them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: March 24, 2014, 01:26:23 pm »

I want a game where the entire goal is you kill random people with bricks for no reason whatsoever. You throw them at people, use them as improvised melee weapons, and build elaborate traps with bricks. There are lead bricks which hurt more in melee, regular bricks that throw better, and legos for building traps.

SOMEONE MAKE THIS GAME
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: March 24, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »

I want a game where the entire goal is you kill random people with bricks for no reason whatsoever. You throw them at people, use them as improvised melee weapons, and build elaborate traps with bricks. There are lead bricks which hurt more in melee, regular bricks that throw better, and legos for building traps.

SOMEONE MAKE THIS GAME

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: March 24, 2014, 04:37:26 pm »

Something along the lines of X-Com, in that it's squad-based and you go from mission to mission while also dealing with a more strategic layer in-between, but combating supernatural creatures and monsters rather than aliens. So you've got your vampires, your werewolves, mummies, etc. You could play the commander of a secret modern para-military organisation, or it could be set in medieval times.

I love the idea of struggling to balance the load-out of my troops for all the threats I might encounter, e.g., 'Crap, I've just rounded a corner and come face to face with a werewolf, but this trooper's cut off from the one with all the silver bullets. And if I use my last incendiary grenade now I'll be screwed if something summons a bunch of zombies'. And dealing with the various thematic abilities the creatures would have.

The only thing is it'd have to be done relatively seriously. There are more than enough cartoon-horror games where the monsters fall over each other and look less terrifying than what you'd find on an average episode of Scooby Doo. So no Hot Topic vampires, no werewolves who turn into puppies when they die, and definitely no puns.

Sounds quite a bit like an idea I've had for a video game for a long time now. Sadly I lack the dedication to turn my VG based ideas into reality. Board Games, on the other hand...

Damn it...now my brain is teeming with ideas on how to make this into a Board Game. I think I know how, although of course it'll abstract a lot of stuff a video game wouldn't need to. Still...might need to prototype this one up at some point.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:47:06 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

blazing glory

« Reply #3834 on: March 24, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »

Something along the lines of X-Com, in that it's squad-based and you go from mission to mission while also dealing with a more strategic layer in-between, but combating supernatural creatures and monsters rather than aliens. So you've got your vampires, your werewolves, mummies, etc. You could play the commander of a secret modern para-military organisation, or it could be set in medieval times.

I love the idea of struggling to balance the load-out of my troops for all the threats I might encounter, e.g., 'Crap, I've just rounded a corner and come face to face with a werewolf, but this trooper's cut off from the one with all the silver bullets. And if I use my last incendiary grenade now I'll be screwed if something summons a bunch of zombies'. And dealing with the various thematic abilities the creatures would have.

The only thing is it'd have to be done relatively seriously. There are more than enough cartoon-horror games where the monsters fall over each other and look less terrifying than what you'd find on an average episode of Scooby Doo. So no Hot Topic vampires, no werewolves who turn into puppies when they die, and definitely no puns.

Sounds quite a bit like an idea I've had for a video game for a long time now. Sadly I like the dedication to turn my VG based ideas into reality. Board Games, on the other hand...

Damn it...now my brain is teeming with ideas on how to make this into a Board Game. I think I know how, although of course it'll abstract a lot of stuff a video game wouldn't need to. Still...might need to prototype this one up at some point.
Don't you mean lack the dedication?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: March 24, 2014, 04:47:18 pm »

...yes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: March 24, 2014, 06:56:25 pm »

I would love a remake of the original digimon world game. It was quite unique.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: March 26, 2014, 01:16:18 am »

Tell me, is there any games where you have a village to build and nurture from the ground up or from near ruins in a fantasy styled game? I mean like a game where the village grows giving you better gear to fight but it isn't a side thing that you do or anything like that. Kinda like how "Dark Cloud" does it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:25 am »

Hnn, "King of Dragon Pass" is kind of like that. You determine the directions a village will take over a period of years, who your leader will be and the advisors etc. Not a roleplaying game with a player character though.

Only things I can really think of are games like "The Settlers", but they're strategy games and not roleplaying.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: March 26, 2014, 02:16:26 am »

Tell me, is there any games where you have a village to build and nurture from the ground up or from near ruins in a fantasy styled game? I mean like a game where the village grows giving you better gear to fight but it isn't a side thing that you do or anything like that. Kinda like how "Dark Cloud" does it...
Does this work for you?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 577